Good Designs = Profit
:cool: my works

#42 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Hi, dear members.... pls. also check the advanced search to see all the posting and thread of a particular candidate.... like me, I have search myself in "regular search" the result is 5, while if you search for "advanced" I get 26 postings. Hope this will give more sense on our voting :)
Good Designs = Profit

#43 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:17 AM

robyn, once again: You are not supposed to be searching for their posts. This isn't an Easter egg hunt :rolleyes:

If you've seen posts by this member while browsing the forums in the past, then you vote. If not, then you don't. I hope this clears things up.

#44 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

Dear redrum, i know that, but since it's open to all members, whether they new or old..specially new ones, if they want to participate, 1st thing to do is to look up to the candidate past post and see if those have sense for him or her... it's relative.
Good Designs = Profit

#45 JLen

JLen

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

Coming from another design site that doesn't treat its designers so well, I have to say that I am really impressed with the humanity of this site. I think this voting is a great idea. Also, from looking at the design contest forums, I think I can say that it's refreshing to see such harmony amongst designers, which is probably a direct effect of them getting to know each other first. :)

#46 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

Coming from another design site that doesn't treat its designers so well, I have to say that I am really impressed with the humanity of this site. I think this voting is a great idea. Also, from looking at the design contest forums, I think I can say that it's refreshing to see such harmony amongst designers, which is probably a direct effect of them getting to know each other first. :)

You mean there is another site like this one?) You will soon find you wont feel this way for long...:-)
"My Vision is to be able to give to you, "Your Vision"

#47 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

See how long my membership is here? They still wont accept me, their rules are ridiculous. Not sure they know the meaning of "humanity" seeing they are very biased here and practice discrimination in some areas

"How ironic that one of the members visited another site and stated he/she was a member here and basically tried to drag that site down by comparing it to your site by a comment posted.(very unethical gesture/behavior) Several, including myself, responded to his/her attempt . I was happy to see that there are other designers there who feel the same about DC as I do and who have also tried several times to become a member here and they were rejected. This confirms my thoughts about how you all operate here at DC.

Funny part is....I am in the lead (per contest holder) for one of the designs I submitted in another contest (at an "unbiased, undiscriminating site") as of last night and contest ends today...:-) Another confirmation that you all here don't know what makes a designer.

So, trust me...I am happy not to be a member here because I wouldn't want to be a part of the reputation this site has developed based on my observations, and now what other designers have made public, (thanks to one of your members posting outside of DC)."

• Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

See how long my membership is here? They still wont accept me, their rules are ridiculous. Not sure they know the meaning of "humanity" seeing they are very biased here and practice discrimination in some areas

Yeah, I am sure "they" are evil extraterrestrial robots :D
Could you be specific when you speak of "discrimination issues please?

So, trust me...I am happy not to be a member here because I wouldn't want to be a part of the reputation this site has developed based on my observations, and now what other designers have made public, (thanks to one of your members posting outside of DC)."

Good, everybody is happy.

But to be serious. It is not a secret that DesignContest.net is elitist. We are very selective and only the very best become our Design Team members. We try to be objective when judging the portfolios of the applicants. But we are humans and not machines. So our choice will always be affected by personal taste, background, and a number of other factors. That's how it is. But having reviewed thousands of applications we can definitely tell a designer who will be an asset to the Team and who will not. Don't forget that we also evaluate the involvement into community and ability to constructively cooperate with other members.

#49 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi Kshdzines,

..."How ironic that one of the members visited another site and stated he/she was a member here and basically tried to drag that site down by comparing it to your site by a comment posted.(very unethical gesture/behavior) Several, including myself, responded to his/her attempt . I was happy to see that there are other designers there who feel the same about DC as I do and who have also tried several times to become a member here and they were rejected. This confirms my thoughts about how you all operate here at DC.

When you wrote "... one of the members visited ..." you mean a registered user (like you) or a Design Team Member?
I really would like to know what user/member has writen about DC.net and where.
Please feel free to send me a Private Message to clarify all I'm asking, is it ok?

EDIT: A piece of advice. I visited you website and took a good look at your portfolio. With regard with logos - which dominates at least 90% of the DC.net competitions - I see that you don't use a vector application to design your logos, you use what, Photoshop?
Try to make some incursion on the vector field and you'll immediately notice that your work will much stronger and, the best part, they will be suitable for all media, i.e. print, web, fax, video, embroiderie, etc, etc.
Beeing very skilled with vectors is definately a plus to a sucessfull place in the Design Team.
Think about it, and try.

thanks
guetizo
DC.net moderator
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#50 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I am sure "they" are evil extraterrestrial robots :D
Could you be specific when you speak of "discrimination issues please?

Good, everybody is happy.

But to be serious. It is not a secret that DesignContest.net is elitist. We are very selective and only the very best become our Design Team members. We try to be objective when judging the portfolios of the applicants. But we are humans and not machines. So our choice will always be affected by personal taste, background, and a number of other factors. That's how it is. But having reviewed thousands of applications we can definitely tell a designer who will be an asset to the Team and who will not. Don't forget that we also evaluate the involvement into community and ability to constructively cooperate with other members.

No, I stand to correct...it is not... "only the very best become members here"... It is more like, "only if your designing suits us(DC)" AND, lets not forget this....."only if you post comments"...absurd.

I have looked at some of the members portfolios here; there were a couple that did not impress me at all (yet they are members) and there were some that did. I had a member here tell me to basically come out of the dark ages of design and I would not be allowed membership because I am not good enough (been in this business for over 30 years, directly and indirectly)

AND....my being in this business over 30 years was mentioned and was used as a strike against me; kinda sounds a tad discriminating to me.

addressed to me through private message, by your member:

Thanks for your Design Team application at DesignContest.net. Unfortunately at this time we must deny your application. Please review the assessment notes below:

Reviewed:
1. Logo Designs
2. Print Designs
3. Web Graphics

Problem areas:
All Categories - Quality is not up to par with what we're looking for.
("All Categories"????????)
(??????...Quality is not up to par??????):confused:

Comments:
You certainly do have some good ideas and creativity, but many things have changed in the last 30 years, heck in the last 2 years :) I have to say, as an enthusiast of good design: The direction of modern graphic design is not reflected in your current portfolio. So I must advise you, from one graphic artist to another, that you should strongly consider adapting your methods to the current developments in design
. .....Certainly, you should continue to create designs, especially if it brings you personal satisfaction. ( personal satisfaction?????...LOL what exactly are you saying here?? you think I can't make money, it is only for personal satisfaction?...:eek: Look at my reviews, they speak for themselves)
And what exactly does this mean?? "You certainly do have some good ideas and creativity, but many things have changed in the last 30 years, heck in the last 2 years :)" I have good ideas and creativity, yet what??? Because YOU here at DC think I can not design in the fashion/style "you" think it should be, I am not accepted? "Biased" a true case if I ever seen one. To put yourselves inside such a "tiny box" is not what creativity is all about. So, for those other designers, such as myself, who design "outside the box,(your box)" we are doomed; no if's and's or but's about it.
[/I]

I have spoke my feelings about your so called operation here and can assure you I will not return, so if you feel the need to delete my account, have at it.

#51 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hi Kshdzines,

When you wrote "... one of the members visited ..." you mean a registered user (like you) or a Design Team Member?
I really would like to know what user/member has writen about DC.net and where.
Please feel free to send me a Private Message to clarify all I'm asking, is it ok?

EDIT: A piece of advice. I visited you website and took a good look at your portfolio. With regard with logos - which dominates at least 90% of the DC.net competitions - I see that you don't use a vector application to design your logos, you use what, Photoshop?
Try to make some incursion on the vector field and you'll immediately notice that your work will much stronger and, the best part, they will be suitable for all media, i.e. print, web, fax, video, embroiderie, etc, etc.
Beeing very skilled with vectors is definately a plus to a sucessfull place in the Design Team.
Think about it, and try.

thanks
guetizo
DC.net moderator

I tried a "private message", but, hmmmmmm I'm not allowed to do that; I do not have DC's "permission"....

I am totally shocked to hear you "assume" I do not design in vector (maybe you can't recognize vector in it's entirety)...vector is all I use, in PhotoshopCS3 and IllustratorCS3 and FireworksMX, so I dont see where that is coming from. I have 4 versions of Photoshop, 2 versions of Fireworks and 3 versions of Dreamweaver. I have been designing in vector for over 5 years, and have been working in Photoshop since 3.0(1992) I have brochures I have done for print, I have labels I have done for print, etc. I even designed a tanning salons logo, for a sign and glass door front in London...???geeesh my work stinx. I have NEVER had a client complain about designing and prep for any print material. Maybe you didn't look at my "product", "business card" and, yes, logo as well. I will admit there are times I absolutely hate logo design, but if you noticed my tag line is "My vision is to be able to give to you, your vision" and that is exactly what I do. So, you see....all you are looking at in my portfolio is what the clients wanted, nothing more or less. I take their instructions and design accordingly and have had positive feedback, which if you take the time you can also read in my review section. I have a 10 rating and have held that for over 3 years. It's obvious I just don't meet DC's idea of what a designer should be. It's either your way, or no way. You don't allow the contest holders to choose from a variety of style and design, only "DC's style". It's sad that you put such limits/reigns on your contest holders options to choose from.

Fortunately, for your "DC member" (is what they claimed), they posted "anonymously", so there is no way of knowing now who it was, is there:rolleyes:

Sincerely,
karen

#52 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

( personal satisfaction?????...LOL what exactly are you saying here?? you think I can't make money, it is only for personal satisfaction?... Look at my reviews, they speak for themselves)

Actually, I wrote that as a response to your application, in which you wrote the following.

Working over 30 years in the photographic and graphics field has been a very rewarding time in my life. The rewards have been more heartwarming, spiritual and soulful than any dollar amount can come close to.

Now, even if it wasn't in response to that, at least I tried to encourage you to continue designing. Most people don't even get such a long explanation, they just get a one to two sentence comment. The reason yours was so long is because I respected the amount of time you put into DC through posting in the forums. My comments were there to guide, not to insult. I'm sorry that you interpreted them in the way that you did.

You mention how appalling it is that a member came onto another site and chose to express him/her self in a way that you found displeasing. What about the way you're posting here now? Aren't you doing the same exact thing? Many of these topics you've already contacted me about, and I'm pretty sure that I made some solid points, but yet you choose to repeat your arguments in this thread as if what I wrote to you was gibberish.

It may be a good idea, instead of coming back time after time posting negative things and sending me negative messages, to just review your work against some of the sites I recommended like logopond.com and goodlogo.com. Even if you don't match the best work on those sites (most people don't), you can at least get some inspiration and make a few comparisons to improve your work in the future.
  • NancyCarter likes this

#53 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Actually, I wrote that as a response to your application, in which you wrote the following.

Now, even if it wasn't in response to that, at least I tried to encourage you to continue designing. Most people don't even get such a long explanation, they just get a one to two sentence comment. The reason yours was so long is because I respected the amount of time you put into DC through posting in the forums. My comments were there to guide, not to insult. I'm sorry that you interpreted them in the way that you did.

You mention how appalling it is that a member came onto another site and chose to express him/her self in a way that you found displeasing. What about the way you're posting here now? Aren't you doing the same exact thing? Many of these topics you've already contacted me about, and I'm pretty sure that I made some solid points, but yet you choose to repeat your arguments in this thread as if what I wrote to you was gibberish.

It may be a good idea, instead of coming back time after time posting negative things and sending me negative messages, to just review your work against some of the sites I recommended like logopond.com and goodlogo.com. Even if you don't match the best work on those sites (most people don't), you can at least get some inspiration and make a few comparisons to improve your work in the future.

"What about the way you're posting here now? Aren't you doing the same exact thing?""Redrum

First...I am not comparing DC to another site nor downgrading DC to another site...big difference. I am here, "at" DC, voicing my thoughts and feelings about it, here, not elsewhere. I did not mention another site. I am not here to argue with anyone, only to state my opinion on the way I see things. At first I thought it might be me taking it somewhat personal, but as a rule I handle critique gracefully and welcome it. It is something a designer needs to do or they shouldn't even be designing. But, when I see a posting from another designer that was obviously a registered user here,and voiced their same feelings about DC, I realized it wasn't "just me".

"Even if you don't match the best work on those sites (most people don't), you can at least get some inspiration and make a few comparisons to improve your work in the future."

Secondly...If you read my response email, I thanked you for that information. I'll be the first to admit I am not the "greatest" designer and welcome leads for improvement especially in the "logo" department, but from your observations you said "All Categories". So, obviously I stink in "All Categories" in your opinion.:confused: It's ok, though...I can handle that coming from DC. This place has done me no good what-so-ever. except to knock everything I do, try or say. I don't need encouraging to continue designing...:p I'll never quit no matter what you or the next person has to say in a negative form. I have had too many "positive" feedbacks that outweigh the negative. I realize I can't please, satisfy, etc., everyone. If I could, I would be on the front page of all the designer magazines, News, etc.

My whole thrust here is your idea of "ranking"....it is biased.

Sincerely,
karen

#54 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

I have to agree with Redrum decision, I just looked at your website and mostly watch your logo section and they are certainly not made 100% with Illustrator.

You might had made them more partially with Illustrator but not 100%. This is due to some elements that are not possible to succeed with just using Illustrator alone or vector. You might have use some filters in Illustrator to achieve them but most filters in Illustrator are bitmap or rasterized.

Cause I saw you have been using allot of dropdown shadows which is also a filter inside Illustrator but it is not a vector. When you resize those logo's you will see that the shadow either don't resize perfectly or get all pixelated.

Also adding picture from the internet of somewhere else is something that really can't be used in a logo. A logo for some companies what want to use them on a giant banner or billboard need to stay perfect detailed with no imperfections like getting pixelated.

From your illustrator skills I doubt you have made the detailed figure in the Nuts game logo and for me it's likely toe a picture of a joker or playing card you found on the internet or somethings else.

Cold design I doubt you would have made that with Illustrator cause anyone could see the pixelated edges from miles away. And Buycandy.org the running bunny looks like it was drawn with paint with very pixelated edges or with the pen tool in photoshop.

This is not to offend you but mostly to say to you the do an don't as a designer. At the moment you have too much bitmap designs in your logo's. You need to learn from this and push further and work on logo designs which are made with only vectors and no bitmap involved.

Something else 3.0 was in 1994 not 1992. In 1992 was the first windows version 2.0.

And also you have to have the correct attitude to improve all the time and keep up with the trends. See this as a lesson and improve yourself so in a later stadium you can try to apply to DC again if you think you have the talent by that time.

If you want to compare you self if you are up to getting into DC you might want to compare your designs with mine.

#55 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

I have to agree with Redrum decision, I just looked at your website and mostly watch your logo section and they are certainly not made 100% with Illustrator.

You might had made them more partially with Illustrator but not 100%. This is due to some elements that are not possible to succeed with just using Illustrator alone or vector. You might have use some filters in Illustrator to achieve them but most filters in Illustrator are bitmap or rasterized.

Cause I saw you have been using allot of dropdown shadows which is also a filter inside Illustrator but it is not a vector. When you resize those logo's you will see that the shadow either don't resize perfectly or get all pixelated.

Also adding picture from the internet of somewhere else is something that really can't be used in a logo. A logo for some companies what want to use them on a giant banner or billboard need to stay perfect detailed with no imperfections like getting pixelated.

From your illustrator skills I doubt you have made the detailed figure in the Nuts game logo and for me it's likely toe a picture of a joker or playing card you found on the internet or somethings else.

Cold design I doubt you would have made that with Illustrator cause anyone could see the pixelated edges from miles away. And Buycandy.org the running bunny looks like it was drawn with paint with very pixelated edges or with the pen tool in photoshop.

This is not to offend you but mostly to say to you the do an don't as a designer. At the moment you have too much bitmap designs in your logo's. You need to learn from this and push further and work on logo designs which are made with only vectors and no bitmap involved.

Something else 3.0 was in 1994 not 1992. In 1992 was the first windows version 2.0.

And also you have to have the correct attitude to improve all the time and keep up with the trends. See this as a lesson and improve yourself so in a later stadium you can try to apply to DC again if you think you have the talent by that time.

If you want to compare you self if you are up to getting into DC you might want to compare your designs with mine.

First off....My apologies, on the incorrect date, I didn't bother to look up the exact year, I guesstimated. Then it was 2.0 I should have said; not 3.0. That was 16 years ago...long time. Actually, I should have simply stated "I began working in Photoshop in 1992" Anyway...

As far as "pixelated and/or low quality", and how you can tell I used this or didn't use that, I'd like to remind you of one thing...these are ALL jpgs I have inserted as samples and you are looking at them sized down tremendously for the net, not to mention inserted into a slide show. Of course, when you "zoom" them you are going to see every little thing out of range and distorted, so I think that was unfair of you to basically state "you know" what I did and did not do:rolleyes: Even though they were designed in vector, you are now viewing a flattened image. If you like, I can send you the original files and then tell me it is pixelated.

Using images, I agree with you on all counts. But again...this "is" what they asked for. My goal is to achieve their vision, not mine...what makes them happy and what they want. Some of the purposes for some of the logos were strictly internet based. I did brochures with some of those logos and when I create them, originally, I create them at 300 resolution. Never a complaint there. As I stated...I DO NOT claim to be the best designer in the world or I would be on front pages everywhere, but I do have the knowledge of how it all works, vector, bmp, jpg, png, etc., resolution, printing, internet, etc.,.

Maybe it should have been brought more to my attention on how to display my work, maybe I haven't quite hit that note yet.

#56 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

First off....My apologies, on the incorrect date, I didn't bother to look up the exact year, I guesstimated. Then it was 2.0 I should have said; not 3.0. That was 16 years ago...long time. Actually, I should have simply stated "I began working in Photoshop in 1992" Anyway...

As far as "pixelated and/or low quality", and how you can tell I used this or didn't use that, I'd like to remind you of one thing...these are ALL jpgs I have inserted as samples and you are looking at them sized down tremendously for the net, not to mention inserted into a slide show. Of course, when you "zoom" them you are going to see every little thing out of range and distorted, so I think that was unfair of you to basically state "you know" what I did and did not do:rolleyes: Even though they were designed in vector, you are now viewing a flattened image. If you like, I can send you the original files and then tell me it is pixelated.

Using images, I agree with you on all counts. But again...this "is" what they asked for. My goal is to achieve their vision, not mine...what makes them happy and what they want. Some of the purposes for some of the logos were strictly internet based. I did brochures with some of those logos and when I create them, originally, I create them at 300 resolution. Never a complaint there. As I stated...I DO NOT claim to be the best designer in the world or I would be on front pages everywhere, but I do have the knowledge of how it all works, vector, bmp, jpg, png, etc., resolution, printing, internet, etc.,.

Maybe it should have been brought more to my attention on how to display my work, maybe I haven't quite hit that note yet.

I forgot to mention....the joker on the playing cards was given to me by the client and insisted it be used in the manner it is. I did not find it on the internet, so again, your assumption was wrong.

#57 NancyCarter

NancyCarter

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

It *is* possible to create several shadowing effects without using rastors(http://vectips.com/t...r-drop-shadows/) but I would doubt that these methods are how you created the effects. There's simply no evidence of these techniques in the artwork presented on your site - see the difference between your portfolio and the clean and crisp quaility of the tutorial samples.

I would take issue with your use of clipart to create logos, as this is strictly not allowed here at DC:
http://www.kitchenandpantry.com/
http://clgourmetfood....com/index.html

The buycandy logo is clearly a scanned image - it is highly suspect as clipart, too.

We all scale our artwork to present in all kinda of media. All of us present artwork online in either JPGs and GIFs or PNGs. So we understand the issues around scaling and displaying JPGs. Since the intent of portfolios are to represent our abilities the quality of work we offer our clients, it's assumed that great care has be taken to accurately represent the scalability of artwork. Thats where the conflict is. Artwork that is highly dithered and pixelated onscreen with undoubtedly have problems in print. It's a natural assumption that if no care is taken to display the artwork consistently clean onscreen (the easier of the two), than perhaps the skill isn't there to do so for print.

Since vector artwork is a requirement for winning artwork, you can imagine that particular sensitivity would be paid to evidence in portfolios of skilled vector work. There is a heavy reliance on swooshes and simple shapes in your portfolio. Clearly there is also a few questionable copyright issues - as the more detailed illustrative work is likely clipart. Additionally, most of your logos would not present well in solid black and white (another requirement here on DC)

I wish you wellness and success. It's very clear you have a happy and satisfied client base. Kudos! There are lots of avenues to find clients, work, and contests online. It doesn't sound like DC is a good match for you - you don't seem to appreciate or respect the processes or standards.
Blessings,
Nancy

www.NancyCarterDesign.com

#58 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:15 AM

So, obviously I stink in "All Categories" in your opinion.:confused: It's ok, though...I can handle that coming from DC.

Then I'm curious as to why, in the last week and a half, you've turned this thread and my PM inbox into a 300 page novel? There's nothing wrong with disliking criticism, but I really think you're taking this too far Karen.

#59 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

Then I'm curious as to why, in the last week and a half, you've turned this thread and my PM inbox into a 300 page novel? There's nothing wrong with disliking criticism, but I really think you're taking this too far Karen.

Last week in a half??...:confused:your kidding right? I spent one day of 2 emails with you a few days ago, and here today. How do you conclude that I have been at this for a week in a half? Sorry...not the case.

I am not the one who chose to take it to this extent, but you and all of the DC members are sending replies to the thread and I am only answering and commenting on those replies. Obviously I am against a pack of wolves, ... there is no getting through to any of the closed mindedness here and trying to understand what it is I am trying to say. Once again...."equal opportunity", maybe you folk don't practice that where you come from and that is why there is such animosity from you, You have ALL gotten defensive which will cause the "closed minded" thing...understandable. Thrash my work all you want, say all the bad things you choose to say...Some opinions I highly respect and appreciate; and I will take them into consideration, but it is all one sided here which has been proven once again.

By the way...it was one of "your members" that got me on this roll. I left here the other day and had accepted your decline and never wrote you back. I had NO intentions on ever coming back here, and told you that, until I seen the unethical behavior of one of your chosen team members, at another site ( a member that had to pass soooo many test and stipulations to become a genuine member, except the test of ethics.) Like I said, I wouldn't want to be a member out of anywhere that treats and talks to people/designers the way it has been displayed. It makes me wonder if any of you administration people, or members ever had any "Humanities" classes.

I will take my time spent here at DC and understand it to be lessons and experience in all areas; a part of "growing". One lesson learned....DC is no place I want to be, bottom line.

.....thank you and good bye.

#60 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:44 AM

It *is* possible to create several shadowing effects without using rastors(http://vectips.com/t...r-drop-shadows/) but I would doubt that these methods are how you created the effects. There's simply no evidence of these techniques in the artwork presented on your site - see the difference between your portfolio and the clean and crisp quaility of the tutorial samples.

I would take issue with your use of clipart to create logos, as this is strictly not allowed here at DC:
http://www.kitchenandpantry.com/
http://clgourmetfood....com/index.html

The buycandy logo is clearly a scanned image - it is highly suspect as clipart, too.

We all scale our artwork to present in all kinda of media. All of us present artwork online in either JPGs and GIFs or PNGs. So we understand the issues around scaling and displaying JPGs. Since the intent of portfolios are to represent our abilities the quality of work we offer our clients, it's assumed that great care has be taken to accurately represent the scalability of artwork. Thats where the conflict is. Artwork that is highly dithered and pixelated onscreen with undoubtedly have problems in print. It's a natural assumption that if no care is taken to display the artwork consistently clean onscreen (the easier of the two), than perhaps the skill isn't there to do so for print.

Since vector artwork is a requirement for winning artwork, you can imagine that particular sensitivity would be paid to evidence in portfolios of skilled vector work. There is a heavy reliance on swooshes and simple shapes in your portfolio. Clearly there is also a few questionable copyright issues - as the more detailed illustrative work is likely clipart. Additionally, most of your logos would not present well in solid black and white (another requirement here on DC)

I wish you wellness and success. It's very clear you have a happy and satisfied client base. Kudos! There are lots of avenues to find clients, work, and contests online. It doesn't sound like DC is a good match for you - you don't seem to appreciate or respect the processes or standards.

Oh, in reply to yours...good research...;) Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users