Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

What is the difference between a Great Logo and a Winning Logo?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

It is nothing wrong, but i could barely understand it...

Cockney isn't a separate language either. They have cockney rhyming slang ("apples and pears" means "stairs") but it's English - they just have a distinct accent.

That said - some cockneys and scousers can have very broad accents and even I would have difficulty sometimes.

#42 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

I think it is your charm. Mockups are allowed only recently, you won a lot before that!
:( where is Femae? I also liked his/her work....

Femae is no 1. No idea where he has gone - i guess he's busy with other projects.

#43 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

My husband is Scottish, (Glasgow) and sometimes it is as if he is speaking to me in a foreign language.
He thinks it is very funny to tell people... "my wife doesn't understand me"!! lol

#44 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Happy GD I always think of the happy song when I see your name! : )

aw

Attached File  _mrhappy.jpg   25.41KB   59 downloads

#45 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

It's true stats don't tell the whole story. For me, out of the 368 submissions on this site, 100 of them were from two contests (37 and 63). And as shown above with margus, there are a number of talented designers that are not shown in the top 50 because of how the comment system works

#46 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

British Troops in Afghanistan dancing to HappyGDs very own song...
This Video Of British Soldiers In Afghanistan Dancing To Pharrell Williams Makes Us ALL Happy
[/B]

aw

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10424[/ATTACH]

#47 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Fortunately, Times Spent on Each Entry is not an available stat. If it was, we would know total time the design community spent on each project. And, let's add in the time spent on abandon contests.

A great design may take 15 minutes or 15 hours, but will it win?

It is clear that each designer has their own procedures, practices and preferences. Each works according to their own experience.

A study of the available numbers just shows (at most) what works best for each.

What do you think the available numbers reveal?

I suspect that they just show what we already know.

#48 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Off Topic

Last summer a relative gave me the gift of a Mediterranean Cruise. The ship sailed from Rome to Sicily to Athens to Turkey to Crete and back to Rome.

The ship featured a piano bar with an English piano player. That bar was crowded every night with Brits, Aussies and Americans. Lots of rollicking sing-alongs and bawdy jokes. Time spent at sea was a blast. The Scots could stay up all night and really drink. The tradition of pub life was the best part of the sea journey. American bar life is not a pub experience.

The crew officers were German and Scandinavian. The cabin staff were mostly Philippine. The cook and wait staff were mostly East European.
Most of the passengers were Italian. The whole experience was wonderful. The interaction between all seemed smooth. Surprisingly, the cruising Italians on board seemed more like people from Jersey Shore... the only disappointment. The Italian people ashore were very nice everywhere we visited.

Just observations from half a world away.:)

#49 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

another issue about winning and time:

"Great" was a logo design contest with 282 entries from 130 designers.
The winning design was from Smoov. Smoov has entered one contest with one design and won. Smoov has not been active since.
If we had access to all contestants' stats we would see that this phenomena is not uncommon.
On the face of it, it appears to be some sort or collusion between the CH and designer occurred, or am I wrong?

What are we to make of this? What about the time spent on the losing entries?

Great

#50 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

It is nothing wrong, but i could barely understand it... I wasnt aware that it is an accent/dialect of English, i thought Liverpudlian/Scouse is a language, same a Cockney :D
This reminds me the faces of hungarians from Hungary when i was there and started to speak what's supposed to be their language. One funny guy even told me that he never imagined that romanian sounds so much like hungarian. That is because i live in Romania, have both citisenships, my mother tongue is Hungarian, but the hungarian from Transylvania is more "archaic" and it is also strongly influenced by romanian and slavic words. Oh, and the pronunciation differs.

I was just kidding about the accent. A lot of people have a hard time understanding it! LOL! :)

#51 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Gary... trust you to break the rules... lol such a renegade!
Painted Pony... from Liverpool, I never would have guessed! I used to live in Charlotte NC many years ago, and I love Charleston SC, one of my favourite places in the world, along with Savannah, GA.
Herbert... yes I see those poster entries, I never enter those contests, too much work for too little money... logos for me are quick and easy.
Femaé is my favourite designer on this site... I am working with one of his logos now in a one on one, it is a wonderful logo to work with.
Andrei ... I was wondering too what CAPSLOCK means.
Happy GD I always think of the happy song when I see your name! : )
Thats my input for what it's worth... back to this monster one on one : (

@Liz~ I grew up in Charlotte, NC. I live about 30 minutes south from there now (across the border into SC). I love Charleston and Savannah as well and have visited many times! Small world! :)

#52 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

another issue about winning and time:

"Great" was a logo design contest with 282 entries from 130 designers.
The winning design was from Smoov. Smoov has entered one contest with one design and won. Smoov has not been active since.
If we had access to all contestants' stats we would see that this phenomena is not uncommon.
On the face of it, it appears to be some sort or collusion between the CH and designer occurred, or am I wrong?

What are we to make of this? What about the time spent on the losing entries?

Great

That is interesting about the 'Great' logo contest - makes you wonder if the CH knew the designer or vice versa...hmmm. Or that designer is really lucky - right place, right time. ?

However, I actually won my very first contest I entered on DC. You might find this an interesting story....

I was watching one of my favorite TV shows (Real Housewives of Orange County - a reality TV show :), and one of the women (Alexis Bellino) on the show was creating her own couture dress label. They showed her and her husband looking at design comps for the new logo, but I couldn't really see what the logo looked like. I decided to google her logo and up popped Design Contest! One of the designers here actually designed her logo and it was featured on the TV show. I wonder if that designer knows that?! That is how i stumbled across DC!

Check out that contest:
Alexis Couture clothing line

So, I started navigating through some contests here and saw that there was a contest for a NC Rum logo. I thought, perfect - NC and Rum (my favorite drink) together. I entered a few logos into the contest and then actually forgot about it. Only to get an email a couple weeks later "You've won a contest". I thought "Huh? For What?" I almost didn't open it because I thought it was going to be some spam-type email. Funny, huh? And that started my addiction to DC! LOL! :)

How did everyone else come to find DC?

#53 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hi aandrei_42
I have no idea what capslock means. Perhaps Sharie knows. It is probably from an earlier iteration of DC.

I just meant that those two designers were Level 10 with only a few hundred contests and entries. Most (like me) will need thousands.

In an earlier contest, I don't remember which one, I saw a level five designer who should be level ten but never bothered to post on the forum. He didn't participate in the "community," just contests. He also had a very high success ratio.

I was merely hoping to map out best practices. Thanks

@Herbert~ I think there are a lot of designers that could/should be level 10 but are not because of the way the forum posts work. I guess some designers don't like to chat as much as we all do! LOL! :)

I remember there was a discussion about posting to the fourm a while back and a designer was making a stink about it stating some designers would not have as high a ranking if it weren't for all their posts (since each counts for 5 points).

I personally like the forum/community section of DC. We all would never have a chance to 'meet' and share ideas, laughs, guidance, gripes, etc without it - although, it looks like several of us could have crossed paths through travels, life in a round about way!

#54 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

I never knew about a post worth 5 points... So i have to post more often since it is easier than winning. I just started now!
Pony, i knew you were kidding, i was too.
About the Great contest, that is VERY strange. And one more thing, to mee, that design look a bit too much like Deloitte logo. The dot idea i mean. I think that in that contest we cand presume the CH wanted to guide his prize to someone specific. So he in person or someone he knew, joined up with an accout and had a very great stat, by wining with the only entry ever!
Something similar happened to me a while ago, with the redesign of a logo, lots of variations, so that at the end someone who just joined, from the same country as the CH, nailed it with his only design ever. I will look it up and post.

#55 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

My husband is Scottish, (Glasgow) and sometimes it is as if he is speaking to me in a foreign language.
He thinks it is very funny to tell people... "my wife doesn't understand me"!! lol

That is funny Liz. I say things all the time and my husband often looks at me with a confused look on his face! I always say "Do you not know what I am talking about?" It is usually some English word, expression or saying that I heard my entire life, but he has NO CLUE! LOL! :)

#56 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have also thought that about some contests, that the CH knows the designer. I wonder why they do that though. I am suspicious that they get hundreds of designs, then chose their friend, then copy the design they like. Maybe we should investigate what logo Great is using right now!
PP I stumbled onto DC too, I had no clue that there was such a thing as a contest design site. I think I was looking for inspiration on an image for a poster and came across DC. I didn't think I would get anywhere, and filled out the forms and took the test with much trepidation... but here I am!! I love it.
I had better get off this computer and go shopping... I need a new external hard drive... oh yeh, and groceries... lol ; )

#57 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Ha ha... I joined in the years when DC was dc.net, but only joined and completed the test, and forgot about it.. then about 2 years ago i lost my job and i started freelancing here and on other two places, but DC is my favourite by far!
Liz, if you are going to buy an external HDD, think about a USB 3.0. It works on the current USB 2.0 you have on your laptop, but it will be much faster in the future if you upgrade to a new laptop with usb 3.0 ports....
Andrei

#58 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Wow thanks Andrei, I didn't even know there was a difference. To be honest, I don't even know what an external HD looks like, I am pretty green on this stuff. Thats why I always refuse wordpress sites, because I am sure the graphics have to be certain dimensions, and then different for ipads and iphones etc, and also these reactive sites scare me to death. I will stick to logos and tshirts and ask you for my computer advice... lol. Off to get my HD now, just walked the dogs, I have a private job to do for someone in Australia and promised it for today and it might even be Sunday there by now, I have to send a step by step guide to someone on how to do something in AI in the USA (in return they are sending me a copy of CS6 which was posted Thursday so the pressure is on)... there is never enough time in my day for all my chores!

#59 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I got my external hard drive... now for backing up. Thanks for your help and advice Andrei. : )

#60 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

That is interesting about the 'Great' logo contest - makes you wonder if the CH knew the designer or vice versa...hmmm. Or that designer is really lucky - right place, right time. ?

However, I actually won my very first contest I entered on DC. You might find this an interesting story....

I was watching one of my favorite TV shows (Real Housewives of Orange County - a reality TV show :), and one of the women (Alexis Bellino) on the show was creating her own couture dress label. They showed her and her husband looking at design comps for the new logo, but I couldn't really see what the logo looked like. I decided to google her logo and up popped Design Contest! One of the designers here actually designed her logo and it was featured on the TV show. I wonder if that designer knows that?! That is how i stumbled across DC!

Check out that contest:
Alexis Couture clothing line

So, I started navigating through some contests here and saw that there was a contest for a NC Rum logo. I thought, perfect - NC and Rum (my favorite drink) together. I entered a few logos into the contest and then actually forgot about it. Only to get an email a couple weeks later "You've won a contest". I thought "Huh? For What?" I almost didn't open it because I thought it was going to be some spam-type email. Funny, huh? And that started my addiction to DC! LOL! :)

How did everyone else come to find DC?

That's a great story and a great example of how some designs end up in places where you least expect to find them! The CH's name for that contest is Jimbellino. Sounds like Alexis Bellino's husband maybe?

How I found DC? One of my favourite internet freelance designers is Breno Bitencourt (Breno Bitencourt on Behance). He would always make animated progress gifs of his designs (a technique I've adopted since then). I did a google search for his gifs and randomly came across this site: Animated Logos by Breno Bitencourt – The New Type!! | Logo Design Contest Reviews The site talked about different crowd-sourcing services, which included DC

Back story: At the time I was nursing an injury and was having difficulty walking. The design studio I was working at was an hour commute from where I lived. My boss was kind enough to let me work from home so I wouldn't have to travel/move around.
The only work given to me during that week was some copywriting and typesetting... which is something I like doing, but it can get pretty boring after many hours.
On one of my breaks I performed that Breno Bitencourt gif search, saw DC mentioned on that random site, browsed the contest section, saw a contest for 1950s themed stationery (I love 50s/retro/atomica design), signed up, participated in the contest, and won :o

And I've been here ever since, mostly here talking in the forum

Edited by HappyGD, 25 January 2014 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users