• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 NancyCarter

NancyCarter

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

At risk of diminishing my chances at becoming a Design Team member, I’d like to ask about the criteria of forum contribution or participation.

I am a fairly successful freelancer exploring new avenues to amend my current project load or fill in lulls as they occur. Contests can be fun, especially if inspired, but they are not the most profitable spenditure of time. Spending time (for the sake of spending time) in forums dilutes profitability further.

Reading through posts there is a noticeable redundancy in newbie efforts to ‘contribute’. I mean no disrespect to anyone, it’s just my observation. Everyone is looking for clever ways to get in their ten posts.

While I would love the opportunity to enter contests and be a casual forum participant, I’d rather not misrepresent my dedication to the forum. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time (or my own) pursuing membership if the forum contribution is heavily weighed.

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot here, but I find it odd that free-time is a measure of a designer’s ability or viability as a contestant.

I understand the waiting period. Smart. I also think that DC’s other criteria are warranted and effective in developing a talented team of contest entrants. Pre-qualified designers – a spectacular advantage for the contest holders!!

I look forward to your response.
Blessings,
Nancy

www.NancyCarterDesign.com

#2 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hi Nancy, the 10 post rule is to weed out those who have nothing to add to the designcontest community, and it gives everyone an idea, on the posters attitude...
believe me, when those

Everyone is looking for clever ways to get in their ten posts.

go to vote,( we vote EVERY design team member in btw), those redundant posters are voted out.

We are an active community of designers....and have a certain level of communication, professionalism that is conveyed in general discussion, AND with contest holders....so, the 10 post rule IS very important;)

#3 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi Nancy. The reason for this weighing isn't very clear unless you're looking at it from the perspective of a mod or admin. The voting system that we have in place now is a relatively recent addition. The idea is to filter out members who aren't willing to put forth at least some effort.

I can honestly say that there's been a major improvement in the quality of new members since we started to take forum contribution into consideration. Prior to that, we've had to ban some very talented Design Team members, because they put us in very uncomfortable situations, either with contest holders or just in general.

Hopefully I'm correct in stating this: We're pushing for a community of designers to be our source of Design Team members. As opposed to other sites who will accept anyone with talent. In exchange for becoming a part of the community, we try our best to make sure our contests are fair for everyone involved.

What rinaldidesigns said basically :)

#4 NancyCarter

NancyCarter

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thank you both very much for your replies. I appreciate the clarification... I'm still confused on the voting thing, but that's ok - confusion is a common state for me! ;)

I like the idea of a community of designers. I especially like that designers are prescreened. It really is a distinct advantage and sets your site apart from the rest.

I hope I'll be considered.

It's not yet 5:30am here and I've not had enough coffee.

Thanks again!
  • camilabou likes this
Blessings,
Nancy

www.NancyCarterDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users