&nsbp;

#1 opman

opman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

Hello,

I've commited to design a book cover for my father in law who has written a collection of short stories. It will be published by an online group who simply require a PDF to get it done. Perfect bound - about 100 pages @ 8.5 X 5 sized pages.

Sorry for the long intro but I'm curious how to get started. Are there any "laymans" tools that anyone can guide me towards? A template would be a huge help.

I've looked at MS Publisher, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop looking for a template - no dice. Or at least I couldn't fin it.

Please respond if you have any suggestions.

[email protected]

#2 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:17 AM

I can't say I would really recommend using MS Publisher - it is a limited program that doesn't have very much functionality. Your best bet would be Photoshop.

If this book cover is to go to print, you will require a bleed on all four edges for it to look nice (unless you plan on having the background color the same color as the stock it's printed on).

Because of that, you will want to create a document that is 9" x 5.5". Remember, the extra 1/4" on each side will be cut off - so don't design anything on top of it. Also, if this is going to print, be sure to work in CMYK mode. It is also recommended to have your document set up at a 300 DPI resolution.

It would help alot if I knew who was printing it, and how they were doing it. Different printers have different recommendations on what they like to receive. Good luck, and remember to export as PDF without any compression.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users