• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 prophet

prophet

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:20 AM

i know how to make a simple website nothing fancy just 5-6 pages but i dont know howto make those big sites like newegg all the big site download.com cnet.com i know that it takes alot of work and years to be that good but i would like to start somewhere, does anyone know any sites that start you off from the basics? Im not talking about some tuts i mean like 1 2 3 4 5 etc what you need to know.

Adobe Certified Expert

Adobe Photoshop CS

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Some previous work

http://prophet.fluidvision.net

#2 divaone

divaone

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

Hi Alex,

The size of the website doesn't matter as much as its functionality! Those sites probably have teams to maintain both the design and development constantly. It sounds like you want to delve more into development - dynamic development. For that, begin learning some additional languages like php, asp, perl as well as database managment with mysql or access. You can begin with sites like webmonkey.com, php.net, webmasterforums.com. I prefer to practice as I study. You can do the same by downloading scripts and playing around with them.
<? function echo { echo 'echo echo echo...'; } ?>

#3 Ruben@Run2

Ruben@Run2

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

Prophet: to know more about those huge sites, start looking for information about Content Management System or CMS. Thats the way those sites are powered.
:: Ruben ::
www.RUN2Corp.com

#4 Xotic

Xotic

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:29 AM

Hi prophet!

If you really want to make a big website you might need to build up a crew.
else divaone and Ruben covers the most...keep up the good work though ;)

#5 Hybrid Media

Hybrid Media

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:44 AM

Hello Prophet,

I have a source for tutorials for you that I think you will enjoy. As said in one of the previous post a website needs to have good functionality. Not only does it need to have good functionality but it needs to have a nice appealing design. You can use a program such as photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks. I'm sure you already know this but with this program you can make very nice graphics and layouts. Well I hope this helped you in someway the link is located below my post.

Tutorial Site: http://www.good-tutorials.com

Thanks,
Taylor Leach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users