&nsbp;

#1 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

hi guys,

i am in the process of trying to come up with a logo for practice. i have been battling with it for 3 days now and i am stuck, no ideas are flowing at all and i would like to hear some ideas, advice or how you would approach. Note i am trying to learn and become better at logo design so its not a case where i want u guys to do it for me.. jus need some advice,and ideas.

Brief
ok with that said.. the name of the company is Cyle Crazy. The company sells, bicyles, parts, and accessories, they also sells gym equipment. The company's logo should protray fun, excitement, family-oriented. Their target audience are kids both males and females ages 5-17, as well as professional cyclists. Is this info enough to go on?

What i have done so far
This is my approach, please comment if there is somethin i am missing or i should add. I made a list of some key words which i think can be associated with the logo (fun, family, crazy, unbalanced, wheels, bike, pedals, health, circles, freedom, freeflowing, spokes) then i tried sketchin the visuals of these words and tried to see what i could combine to form a concept. unfortunately here is where i am stuck. i cant seem to come up with anythin. Not being a good sketcher i jumped illustrator as i was not making progress on paper and start playin with cirlcles.. and trying to get a nice font to protray fun.... the only idea that i have come up with which has potential is using the initals CC to form a wheel of bicyle but am not sure how to execute the idea..

here is where u pros step in... can u help?

#2 Neahbay

Neahbay

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

You've got to narrow down the focus. The target market includes two totally different demographics, and the product is varied too from bikes to gym equipment. Therefore the imagery will have to be very simple, you may want to focus more on color and shape rather than a specific item such as a wheel. You should not ever use the work unbalanced for inspiration. I would suggest working with a word set that speaks more of energy such as velocity, torque, balance. Try to pair these concepts simply with fonts and color.

#3 steplat

steplat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Ok, let's go with using the C's to form the wheels of a bicycle. It's a solid concept and an obvious first direction.

Maybe try to incorporate the entire name into the logo rather than only CC.

Using a circular font may be a good starting point, but a completely custom font would be the best way to go.

I agree with Neahbay that trying to mix different focus's will only confuse the whole design.

Other ideas:

1) Use silhouette of a professional rider and a casual rider on top of the text, you could make the "Crazy" text rough like a mountain bike trail and the "Cycle" smooth like a road.

Or if BMX is a big thing have the silhouette of a BMX rider with "Crazy" shaped like a ramp. Use pictures of riders to make the silhouettes as accurate as possible.

#4 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

hi neahbay thanks for your comments. this company is actually modeled from an existing store in my country. i find it better for my practises to not jus make up companies at random but to use exisiting comapanies and change their names... with that said this store main products are bikes and parts, the gym equipment are kinda of secondary products not much in stock..

thanks for your comments i will try to explore those ideas

You've got to narrow down the focus. The target market includes two totally different demographics, and the product is varied too from bikes to gym equipment. Therefore the imagery will have to be very simple, you may want to focus more on color and shape rather than a specific item such as a wheel. You should not ever use the work unbalanced for inspiration. I would suggest working with a word set that speaks more of energy such as velocity, torque, balance. Try to pair these concepts simply with fonts and color.

#5 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

hi steplat,

thanks for your comments.. not bad ideas at all.. actually the thought of a bike and rider silhoutte crossed my mind.. but i figured live tracing a pic and sticking some text to it, was not the right way. is it? i will explore this idea. the other reason y i did not explore this idea. a google search of simulaur logos revelaed a bike and rider in almost all of the logos...i did attempt few abstrackt images of one.. but they jus didnt come out right maybe i should try to explore it more deeply..

thanks guys please keep your comments coming.. i wll be sure to post some concept ideas shortly

Ok, let's go with using the C's to form the wheels of a bicycle. It's a solid concept and an obvious first direction.

Maybe try to incorporate the entire name into the logo rather than only CC.

Using a circular font may be a good starting point, but a completely custom font would be the best way to go.

I agree with Neahbay that trying to mix different focus's will only confuse the whole design.

Other ideas:

1) Use silhouette of a professional rider and a casual rider on top of the text, you could make the "Crazy" text rough like a mountain bike trail and the "Cycle" smooth like a road.

Or if BMX is a big thing have the silhouette of a BMX rider with "Crazy" shaped like a ramp. Use pictures of riders to make the silhouettes as accurate as possible.

#6 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

hi guys

jus to show u after battling at the pc for a while what i came up with

i honestly dont like em :(

#7 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:48 PM

hi guys,

i did some research. most logos i found online all had a silhoutte of a bike rider. i have had a rough times coming up with concepts. the only idea i came up which could work was somethin with the abbriv CC with a bike wheel but i dont know how to execute this. here are some font types i have selected which could work. I am new to logo design trying to teach myself. i have seen how u guys help others in this forum and i would be so greatful if u guys can help me as i try to learn as well.. any ideas or help is welcomed

thanks guys

Edited by notlek, 03 October 2008 - 01:10 AM.

#8 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:35 AM

any one out there with any comments?

here are some concepts i have been playing with. your thoughts?

#9 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

no one out there with thoughts about my logo?

here is the latest

http://www.dobridesi...zy_concepts.jpg

#10 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

I like the bicycle chain idea the best. The wheels of the bike or even a rider is too obvious and has been done.

In post #8: I like the font used on your third design (second from bottom). The font is playful without going overboard goofy. I also like the symbol for the bicycle chain you drew -- or is it a track? -- in that same design. It's simple which I think is always the better way to go. What does it look like if there is no break in the chain/track? Also, the fact that I'm not sure if it's a chain or track IMO is okay -- either will work for your client.

Good luck!

#11 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Personally I prefer the first batch. The middle concept I think has potential because you can define the two C's as bike wheels but it still reads well as Cycle Crazy. I'm not too fond of the more recent ideas, as I think they maybe too intricate with the idea of the chain. I see you have simplified the chain to just one link and that could work, but at the moment I think it's possibly too simple to be recognised as chain link.

All in all, you've still got some good ideas and stuff to work with. Just keep working on it, you'll get there.

#12 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

hi thanks your comments i really appreciate it.

i also agree that the wheels and rider has been done and over done. The concept you were reffering to was indeed a single bicycle link and the font is the same used in the cartoon "Family Guy" I am personally not too much of a fan of this one... Then the symoblism of a single link did not sit well.. u know "weak" "alone" "unattached" it jus did not protray to me what the company is about.

thanks alot.. i added a third batch which i really like.. i am not 100% comfortable with the type but i really like the symbol

I like the bicycle chain idea the best. The wheels of the bike or even a rider is too obvious and has been done.

In post #8: I like the font used on your third design (second from bottom). The font is playful without going overboard goofy. I also like the symbol for the bicycle chain you drew -- or is it a track? -- in that same design. It's simple which I think is always the better way to go. What does it look like if there is no break in the chain/track? Also, the fact that I'm not sure if it's a chain or track IMO is okay -- either will work for your client.

Good luck!

#13 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

thanks alot for your comments

Personally I prefer the first batch. The middle concept I think has potential because you can define the two C's as bike wheels but it still reads well as Cycle Crazy. I'm not too fond of the more recent ideas, as I think they maybe too intricate with the idea of the chain. I see you have simplified the chain to just one link and that could work, but at the moment I think it's possibly too simple to be recognised as chain link.

All in all, you've still got some good ideas and stuff to work with. Just keep working on it, you'll get there.

#14 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

hi thanks your comments i really appreciate it.

i also agree that the wheels and rider has been done and over done. The concept you were reffering to was indeed a single bicycle link and the font is the same used in the cartoon "Family Guy" I am personally not too much of a fan of this one... Then the symoblism of a single link did not sit well.. u know "weak" "alone" "unattached" it jus did not protray to me what the company is about.

thanks alot.. i added a third batch which i really like.. i am not 100% comfortable with the type but i really like the symbol

How about a track idea? I think that could be cool if you used the right colors, angle, etc.

#15 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

here is my attempt with the track idea :confused:

http://www.dobridesi...tise/cyle_4.jpg

How about a track idea? I think that could be cool if you used the right colors, angle, etc.

#16 CariLee

CariLee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

here is my attempt with the track idea :confused:

http://www.dobridesi...tise/cyle_4.jpg

I like what you have come up with so far - my only bit of advice is to watch your coloring. Depending on where the final logo will be used you need to make sure it can be reversed out or printed in black and white and not lose recognition.

Personally I like the bike chain idea - its something different from the boring silhouette of a biker you would expect from a similar company. Keep playing - I know a lot of my best ideas come from continually playing with my designs.

- Cari

#17 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:04 AM

hi carilee thanks for ur comments

i do like the bike chain idea and i think thats the direction i will be taking the logo. what else do u suggest i keep playing with? the mark or type? and what exactly should i look at specifically..

in terms of colour i am having a hard time picking hte right blend.. the brief did make mention of the use of orange. doing my research into colours, the representation of the orange is exactly what the company is going for.

ps i make sure i design everythin in black b4 adding colour so in that way it wont lose recognition in black n white print.. Thanks this forum is awsome...

please keep your comments or ideas coming

#18 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

For coloring try looking at existing logo in that region of color range and let them inspire your. At the moment it looks too much like to are using the standard pallets too much try playing inside the pantone pallets.

#19 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

u are right i was not playing with pantone colours http://www.dobridesi...cle_colour1.jpg here is another attempt using pantone colours.. i also searched for other logos with simular colours

i can send the native AI file to anyone interesting in taking a crack at it and show me what i am doing wrong.. i think i am doing somethin wrong

thanks guys

also y is it when i export files as jpeg from AI the colours go all wierd.. is it converting the colours back to RGB? how do i do this propper way?

#20 notlek

notlek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

yet another batch..

http://dobridesign.c...ractise/cc2.jpg

any comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users