• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am building an online enrollment application for an MLM company.

http://www.travislayne.com/csu/

I want it to be so easy to use that the user can't believe they breezed through it when they are finished.

So far, this is a skeleton, so please don't provide comments about the website surrounding the main container.

Any advice?
Good web design is all about the user. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

#2 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hi travislayne.

Got some feedback for ya. These first few aren't really design related, though:

- I think the "Free shipping" offer should be more noticeable. You could maybe try replacing "Best Value" with "Free Shipping". Best value sounds like an opinion, whereas free shipping is a) a fact, and b) FREE! :) Another good place for it would be next to, or below, the "Red Tape Package" text.

- If each package is an extension of the previous one, then you should consider highlighting each new bullet point that has been added to the upgrade. It's easier for a person to make a comparison when there are two clearly distinct sections, rather than one block of text. I see that you have already distinguished between regular, advanced, and master affiliates. The problem (mainly) is that people have to read the text in order to understand the difference. Whereas by highlighting part of the text in some way you're telling their eyes in an instant, "look at all the extra stuff you get".

- I would also make sure that the present/box images are linked to the same place as "Add Package". I'm not sure why, but some people like to click on pictures rather than text. It also gives everyone another opportunity to go to the purchase page. I've read that giving multiple opportunities to do this can increase the number of clicks. To make sure you're not misleading anyone, simply highlight the "Add Package" button when their mouse hovers over the present image.

Some more on the usability side:

- I would stay clear of using bold text for required fields. There is a well known convention for that, using the * symbol. I think you are assuming that people will read the stuff above the form, but let me tell you (based on our Design Team application form) many people skip right over it ;)

- First name and last name should probably be one field. Just validate to make sure there are two space-delimited tokens there.

- Similarly, you might even consider making the address field into one large freeform text area. If someone is starting a business (even a pseudo business) they surely know how to write a properly formatted address. All you have to do is parse out the state; the rest of the info is just to the left and right of it. Just make sure to give an example, or people will get confused as to the format (as you may already know).

- This is probably already the case, but make sure to auto-fill the billing address with the mailing address by default.

All that I can think of. Good luck with the site!

#3 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, _redrum! That was very helpful.

The bolding of the required fields is one I really agree with. I'm trying too hard to re-invent the wheel when a widely accepted and expected method exists. Good call.

The condensing of the name and address fields will have to stay for now - the CMS system my company manages requires these fields to be separated. I agree with your comment, though.

The one about showing you get this package PLUS was a great suggestion. I will make this change soon.

The free shipping in place of the best value is also viable - but the focus of the packages is the value of the packages. The minor cost of shipping will not be a deterrent. It is likely, as I've recently discovered, that the packages will be over $100. I will likely move it below the header, however.

Thanks so much for making this enrollment better!

Edited by travislayne, 15 October 2008 - 03:55 AM.

Good web design is all about the user. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

#4 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Just a quick question. That's not your actual credit card number on the payment information page, is it?

#5 businesswizard

businesswizard

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

Not at all bad. It is real cool however, Redrem has some real useful points to make.

Best Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users