• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Not sure what I'm missing with this one.
let me know your thoughts.
Posted Image

#2 krkw72

krkw72

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

I don't think I've ever done an online design critique before, but since you're practically begging!;)...
I like the graphic, especially the glowing orb...
The letters in C-R-A-V-E look like they could be closer together, maybe?
and the middle "bar" on the letter E needs to be shorter, seems like.
Then if you do that, scrunch in "water sports" to be the same width..
other than that, I think it looks good

#3 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

this look any better.
Posted Image

#4 Stacia90

Stacia90

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

When I first looked at it I thought the words and logo needed to pop more, maybe by adding a stroke which it looks like you did in the second to the words "CRAVE", but it looks like you also changed the colors so they are lighter, but I think they need more saturation and to be brighter.

I think the actual logo design is very interesting and creative though.

#5 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks I tried to use the same color gradiant on the second one to match the orb in the logo.
explain what you mean by brighter? like what areas. brighter yellow orange?
just trying to see what you all see. lol :)

#6 Stacia90

Stacia90

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

umm the gradient looks a little dull, I feel like it would be more eye catching if all the colors used in the gradient were taken up a notch in saturation.

#7 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

I think you could play with the type a little more.
what about doing something like taking and kerning waters ports equally and keeping it as 1 word?

Make sure the W and the E end at the edge of the C and the E in crave if you are going for a justified block look.

#8 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

I think you could play with the type a little more.
what about doing something like taking and kerning waters ports equally and keeping it as 1 word?

Make sure the W and the E end at the edge of the C and the E in crave if you are going for a justified block look.

great suggestion. I do like the water sports all one word.

stacia90 I brightened up the background orange a bit as well as the yellow. I also feathered it to blend it a little.
#3 is a combination of 1&2.

also added a little white trasparency to the watersports in 2 &3

Also played with the "water" around the orb let me know if it looks better. I did make this the first week I had illustrator so some angles didn't look all that great on the transparencies IMO.

Posted Image

#9 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

in the logo, try moving the bottom blob a little so its not touching the orb, and the smaller piece's "arm" at the bottom away a little. you have trappe white space.

#10 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

in the logo, try moving the bottom blob a little so its not touching the orb, and the smaller piece's "arm" at the bottom away a little. you have trappe white space.

Thanks for your imput.
wouldn't that take away from the look of them moving around the orb?
I did have it that way when I first made it, it looked more 'flat', like that to me?
I would like to hear others oppinions about this though.

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

yesterday afternoon I was playing with the 'water' around the orb.
I'm kinda liking the the bottom left one

Posted Image

#12 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

yesterday afternoon I was playing with the 'water' around the orb.
I'm kinda liking the the bottom left one

Posted Image

Nice,

Your kerning needs a little work. The space between water and sports is not the same width as all the others. Also the p o r seems like there is too much space between them in sports. Check your kerning again but definitely looks much better with watersports as 1 word.

Also i just noticed the space between the W A T looks too far as well. Make sure you individually kern each letter, dont just select all then hit option > that doesnt always work :p

Edited by .:FMD, 15 May 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

I did do it kinda quick. But the letters were allready outlined so that is all me.. :( hahaha

oh wait I think I copied the wrong one this one maybe the one I did before I actually measured each space. hmm will check it later.

thanks

#14 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for your imput.
wouldn't that take away from the look of them moving around the orb?
I did have it that way when I first made it, it looked more 'flat', like that to me?
I would like to hear others oppinions about this though.

I think it may be better then to make the orb cover more of the fat water part on the bottom. its so close it looks like it may be a mistake. I find that in design "go big or go home" applies nicely. If its subtle, many times it can look like a mistake.
But honestly, all tis is really knitpicking. Its a really cool logo and the type font matches wonderfully. I really like your color choice, but just keep plugging away. you'll get it right. I'm sure of it!

#15 iondrei

iondrei

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hey there Coy,

Here's my input :)

I think you need to play with the "lights" on the 3 shapes a bit if your aim is to make it "glosy realistic". I'd use a mesh toon gradient coloring to give it a 3d effect...or even to make a template to draw gradient shapes over if you don't like using the mesh. I think it can give you a better view of where the color (light) should be more intense and where it needs to fade or blend.

i like the 3rd variation of the text but for "watersports" i wouldn't use an outline cos it doesn't look too good on a small font (in my opinion). I'd use a solid color, no effects.

Hope this helps, and then again like Drokho said...you need to "keep plugging away" until you like it :)

Have fun!

great suggestion. I do like the water sports all one word.

stacia90 I brightened up the background orange a bit as well as the yellow. I also feathered it to blend it a little.
#3 is a combination of 1&2.

also added a little white trasparency to the watersports in 2 &3

Also played with the "water" around the orb let me know if it looks better. I did make this the first week I had illustrator so some angles didn't look all that great on the transparencies IMO.

Posted Image

#16 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

Interesting, you need to do something about font, I'd try something more abstract. And it needs black.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#17 rollin0219

rollin0219

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

quote from the other day

Coy "yesterday afternoon I was playing with the 'water' around the orb.
I'm kinda liking the the bottom left one"

I total agree with you. the more transparent waves look the best. the orb is the focus of your design and they become better supporting pieces.

the weight of the waves seems to be off. You might want to try playing around with thinning the bottom one or thickening the top side one.

CRAVE is a very intense word. I think you should go for a darker orange and the font needs to be different. Pick one that has a similar strength as the logo. More sharp angles in the font may help.

#18 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I think it may be better then to make the orb cover more of the fat water part on the bottom. its so close it looks like it may be a mistake. I find that in design "go big or go home" applies nicely. If its subtle, many times it can look like a mistake.
But honestly, all tis is really knitpicking. Its a really cool logo and the type font matches wonderfully. I really like your color choice, but just keep plugging away. you'll get it right. I'm sure of it!

Never thought of it like that. if time allows today I'll play with that and see if I like it better.
The subtle wasn't a mistake but do see where you are coming from.
Thanks

Hey there Coy,

Here's my input :)

I think you need to play with the "lights" on the 3 shapes a bit if your aim is to make it "glosy realistic". I'd use a mesh toon gradient coloring to give it a 3d effect...or even to make a template to draw gradient shapes over if you don't like using the mesh. I think it can give you a better view of where the color (light) should be more intense and where it needs to fade or blend.

i like the 3rd variation of the text but for "watersports" i wouldn't use an outline cos it doesn't look too good on a small font (in my opinion). I'd use a solid color, no effects.

Hope this helps, and then again like Drokho said...you need to "keep plugging away" until you like it :)

Have fun!

I've barely used the mesh tool and is #1 on my to learn more of list and think it'll help alot of my other designs as well. I also like the solid color of watersports, just added it for the fun of it. :D
Thanks for the input.

Interesting, you need to do something about font, I'd try something more abstract. And it needs black.

I'd love to hear some font options. When I think of abstract many images come to mind.
You don't think the black will take away from the water "fun" feel? or like black outline?

quote from the other day

Coy "yesterday afternoon I was playing with the 'water' around the orb.
I'm kinda liking the the bottom left one"

I total agree with you. the more transparent waves look the best. the orb is the focus of your design and they become better supporting pieces.

the weight of the waves seems to be off. You might want to try playing around with thinning the bottom one or thickening the top side one.

CRAVE is a very intense word. I think you should go for a darker orange and the font needs to be different. Pick one that has a similar strength as the logo. More sharp angles in the font may help.

When I play with the "go big or go home" concept I'll also play with thinning out the bottom a little. I kinda wanted it to be a little over exagerated but will defenetly see how it looks. :)

I had a font with sharper angles and made it look more corporate or tech looking and not "fun" although the design it self could be used as such but water sports is suppose to be about having fun.
Thanks

I really appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions this helps tons. getting mixed result about the font used and suggested usage possibilities, but I guess that's going to happen in most desigs (for the most part).

Thanks again.

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

OK taking in everyones thoughts and critiques.
This is what I've come up with now.

Posted Image

Edited by Coy, 09 March 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#20 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

also.. instead of going black on the text I thought the extremely dark blue worked well. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users