cocktail?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

I'm working at this "cocktail concept" for a t-shirt design....and in my opinion is 99% ready:)...but I would like to hear your suggestions as well(what do you think about colors/shape/t-shirt placement etc), before sending it...
Thx!:)
Posted Image
Posted Image
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 garf03

garf03

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

i like the desing, is creative and well done, specially the I as drink and the L as straw..

the only thing i dont like is that cause the vertical way is very dificult for me read at 1st until i saw the orizontal version cause is not only read vertica way, it have to ve readed bottom to top

i give it a 8/10 :D

• Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Atkco

#4 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

i like the desing, is creative and well done, specially the I as drink and the L as straw..

the only thing i dont like is that cause the vertical way is very dificult for me read at 1st until i saw the orizontal version cause is not only read vertica way, it have to ve readed bottom to top

i give it a 8/10 :D

is quite hard to have a "clean word for this shape...I also tried to start with the "c" from the top, but is no big difference(even worst)...on the back of the t-shirt will be "cocktail(normal fonts) and company name"....
p.s:bartenders will wear this....I hope:)
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

Atkco

yeah...any suggestions?
still....I think after a few cocktails in the club you will read it from the first try:)jkg
I was thinking also to make the glass contour glow in the dark...
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:25 PM

atkco, here too.

If its just to stamp it in a t-shirt, it ok. But, for a brand, you're too far away from 99%.

Paulo
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#7 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

it's not a logo..the company already has an identity...
suggestions are welcome:)
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

yeah...any suggestions?

reading a word from bottom up is not natural. try something different. NOBODY, and I mean it, no single person would read this word, unless told what it is (as in the title of this thread).

#9 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

I'm thinking at another shape for the glass....so I could start writing the word from top to bottom..
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

another try...diffrent approach:)
Posted Image
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 ArtbyAudree

ArtbyAudree

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

I think the new design is an improvement - It's easier to read. One thing you may want to consider is using less space on the T-Shirt. Many printers request 12" max - or you have to pay extra.

Audree

#12 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:15 AM

The old design was near impossible to read IMO; the new design is definitely an improvement but is still very very difficult to read. Writing 'COCKTAIL' from top to bottom increases the readability a lot, but because of the font used here, legibility is absolutely minimum. To make matters worse, several letters have different orientations and you've stretched/squashed letters to conform to the width (something you should strictly NOT do for any reason, it destroys the shape and contrast of the letter forms). The solid band of color behind the 'A' causes the uniformity in the design to be lost and so does the 'IL' being in the same line.

You could possibly try using all the letters in the same orientation, ideally top->bottom, with the cap line facing right, normal orientation, without stretching or squashing any of them. Look at a book kept in a shelf, the text is vertical, top-bottom, but is very readable. If you need to have different widths of letters, use different width fonts from the same family, such as narrow or expanded versions. You could also add a liquid inside your glass using scores of letters in various font sizes and orientations packed closely and arranged randomly.

What I like is the shape of the glass in the 2nd version. :) Looks good by itself, and looks great on a tee IMHO. The single color version of the 2nd one is my favorite out of the ones you've put up here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AbhaySingh.in - Graphic Design Portfolio

#13 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

I think the new design is an improvement - It's easier to read. One thing you may want to consider is using less space on the T-Shirt. Many printers request 12" max - or you have to pay extra.

Audree

Thx Audree,
paying extra(if necessary) is not really a problem,
they will not print hundreds of pieces:)...as far as I know 3 for each bartender

The old design was near impossible to read IMO; the new design is definitely an improvement but is still very very difficult to read. Writing 'COCKTAIL' from top to bottom increases the readability a lot, but because of the font used here, legibility is absolutely minimum. To make matters worse, several letters have different orientations and you've stretched/squashed letters to conform to the width (something you should strictly NOT do for any reason, it destroys the shape and contrast of the letter forms). The solid band of color behind the 'A' causes the uniformity in the design to be lost and so does the 'IL' being in the same line.

You could possibly try using all the letters in the same orientation, ideally top->bottom, with the cap line facing right, normal orientation, without stretching or squashing any of them. Look at a book kept in a shelf, the text is vertical, top-bottom, but is very readable. If you need to have different widths of letters, use different width fonts from the same family, such as narrow or expanded versions. You could also add a liquid inside your glass using scores of letters in various font sizes and orientations packed closely and arranged randomly.

What I like is the shape of the glass in the 2nd version. :) Looks good by itself, and looks great on a tee IMHO. The single color version of the 2nd one is my favorite out of the ones you've put up here.

Thx Deathdart,
I appreciate your advice...but:)...they want something colorful and minimalistic...I don't plan to use only standard fonts, with the second design I started with BankGothic and then I modified all the letters...about adding liquid/ice cubes inside of the glass...I thought about it...but this just makes the design more complex...not better.
The single color version is actually the same color version in the dark with a glow effect:)
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

I like the concept the best. I think I agree with dethdart, the orientation should somewhat all be the same otherwise I would not be able to understand it if I did not know what it was supposed to say at first.

I think the second C should face the same way as the first C. I see it like first C regular orientation, o rotated, second c regular, k rotated, t regular, A rotated, i regular off to the side like you have it, and then L rotated. Definitely dig the glow in the dark ink, especially if its going to be at a night club or bar.

One thing i am not sure i understand is you show the glass almost all the way empty, but the end of the straw is seen to the bottom. Its a little confusing but i kinda like it. Can you elaborate more on that?

#15 JAZZZ

JAZZZ

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Since everyone has already talked about the readability factor here, i would like to share my opinion on the colors. Maybe you can try keeping all the letters same (that'll pretty much retain the readability) and just altering the color half-way to actually show the cocktail inside. IMO having two contrasting colors will add much to it, rather than having three conflicting colors.
Plus, another thing i've learnt as a design student is that it is preferable to use the typography being horizontal from top to bottom than having it vertical from top to bottom (in this case), it becomes easier to read.

regards,
Jazzz
Waleed Mushtaq | Online Portfolio

#16 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

I like the concept the best. I think I agree with dethdart, the orientation should somewhat all be the same otherwise I would not be able to understand it if I did not know what it was supposed to say at first.

I think the second C should face the same way as the first C. I see it like first C regular orientation, o rotated, second c regular, k rotated, t regular, A rotated, i regular off to the side like you have it, and then L rotated. Definitely dig the glow in the dark ink, especially if its going to be at a night club or bar.

One thing i am not sure i understand is you show the glass almost all the way empty, but the end of the straw is seen to the bottom. Its a little confusing but i kinda like it. Can you elaborate more on that?

Since everyone has already talked about the readability factor here, i would like to share my opinion on the colors. Maybe you can try keeping all the letters same (that'll pretty much retain the readability) and just altering the color half-way to actually show the cocktail inside. IMO having two contrasting colors will add much to it, rather than having three conflicting colors.
Plus, another thing i've learnt as a design student is that it is preferable to use the typography being horizontal from top to bottom than having it vertical from top to bottom (in this case), it becomes easier to read.

regards,
Jazzz

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your support on this "matter:)
Now I'm waiting for the client feedback for this second concept...
p.s.: .:FMD, the glass is actually empty:)...or filled with letters; )
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

@robert: Well even if you're going to use a "non-standard" (i.e. display/deco) type, try having the same orientation for all the letters and also avoid stretching and skewing any of the letters. If you can work within these constraints, you'll get an infinitely better result, trust me on this. ;)

Try it out, post it up here and lets see which version turns out better. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AbhaySingh.in - Graphic Design Portfolio

#18 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

IMO increasing the readability, affects the overall design/concept a lot...
Deathdart I made some sketches based on your suggestions...and I can't say that I like the result:)
I already sent a revised version to them...and I hope to post soon the final design(it will be on a black t-shirt, without glow ink)...
Posted Image
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Project ended SUCCESSFULY!
Here is the final version...
Thanks all for your advices!
Robert