• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

This logo is for a bakery specializing in Bundt Cakes. Not sure about the fonts and need to do some tweaking on the icon but this is a decent start I think. Would appreciate any feedback.

Edited by seanb, 04 October 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#2 gdeetan

gdeetan

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:07 AM

bottom font feels like a military type font, it doesn't go well with the theme, I'd go with a modern or a serif type font here.

Not feeling the angle and devil theme's, gotta find another way to distinguish the alcoholic and non alcoholic. Icon looks decent, needs a bit of cleaning up.
  • seanb likes this
Online Portfolio - Still a work in progress

#3 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

gdeetan, I agree with the bottom font, but one of the clients liked that font. I have a meeting where I'll work on talking them into something slightly easier on the eye.

I have already fixed the shape of the cake "critter" including the spacing between the legs (the biggest issue bugging me) and the angle of the feet. Once I have a finished piece I'll post it here.

The client's already sold on the angel/devil theme so that's a done deal.

Edited by seanb, 05 October 2009 - 04:06 AM.
add info

#4 HWorks

HWorks

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

The shape of the cake seems quite ok. I am not really sure about the color, but if you change the font it might fit as well.

#5 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

dumb-user testing 101:
response a)... so it's like a cake which crawls around in you? nnn-no thanks
response b)... oo military cakes, can i haz a uzi wid it?

lighten the font, remove the texture on it, use negative space to outline the bottom of the cake, get rid of the symmetric 'leg' repetition (make it flow more like real chocolate), the glory will work if it's a little higher and has some 'sparkling lines' (make it monochrome maybe), the horns will work if placed wider. red-gold-brown all together should work...

just bouncing ideas. cheers:P

#6 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

SliverFX, the issue was more with the spacing on the outer legs, the outer lines were also adjusted to better match the Bundts they produce. Typical Icing flavors include chocolate, orange, vanilla, berry - we're looking at other colors for the type because I'm not real thrilled with the orange... but I'm not the client. Meeting is Sunday so we'll see what they say. So far they love it.

jiaix, great questions... the "critter" is intended to convey some of the sense of humor and fun the owners of the Bakery put into this. I think once they look at it and realize they're seeing the icing on the cake they get it. Of the logo options presented initially, this is what the client jumped at and I think they made a decent choice. Definitely stands apart from their competitors.

I'm not real happy with the color or the grunged font yet and am still trying to talk them out of it. Here's where that has taken me so far... again we'll see Sunday.

Note: the light blue was one they wanted to see and there is a separate page with a few font options - still grunged a bit but easier on the eye hopefully. So far I'm liking the "raspberry" the most but that's just me.

Sean

Edited by seanb, 06 October 2009 - 07:10 PM.
add info

#7 ArtfulAmbitions

ArtfulAmbitions

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

The new font is MUCH better. I agree with you about the rasberry being the best color- it seems to contrast with the roughness of the font a little better for a sweeter touch. I think the bundt cakes are cute-

#8 DesignsbyALX

DesignsbyALX

• Designer
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

I liked the first font better, it looks industrial and matches the "steel" feeling. You might wanna try a combination of the two fonts ?? And i would place the legs more to the side, it makes the perspective look better. But that's just my opinion ;)

#9 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

Artful and ALX,

Thanks fro the feedback. Still waiting for a meeting to decide on color. Client caught the Flu and I didn't want it so we put things off for a bit. Will post the final once it's done.

#10 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

very interesting design! -- it took me a while to figureOut that the drawing was a cake ... but interesting! and very different!

-- hmmm - hows about -- brown (color of font) --- raspberry (color of the cake, shaded part)
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#11 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

sevehn, thanks for the idea - once I get the client pinned down on the font and colors I'll do a quick swap of the colors to see which he likes best. If they go for the raspberry (like I hope) I may preprint that for their review.

#12 Geko

Geko

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

Nice work, I would have gone with more informal style, since the typo asks me to do that, have you tried a non symmetric design, my guess is that would work marvelous, I love it the way it is. Good luck

#13 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

I provided a few options for the logo and like me they fell in love with the "bug". Still not sure why they're sold on the grunged font and still trying to talk them into something cleaner there to match the bug, we'll see what they select. Gotta do what the client wants in the end.

#14 seanb

seanb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

I liked the first font better, it looks industrial and matches the "steel" feeling. You might wanna try a combination of the two fonts ?? And i would place the legs more to the side, it makes the perspective look better. But that's just my opinion ;)

Should have mentioned the reason the legs aren't more to the side is because of the way bundt cakes are made - there is one thick round ridge, then one thin sharper ridge. It made for some oddball sketches while starting the project.

#15 jmillgraphics

jmillgraphics

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

I really like the cake! I have to make a lot of Bundts, so I think the design of the cake is great! I'm still iffy on the fonts. Maybe make "BUNDTS OF" in a clean sans serif, and then "STEEL" in a decorative font?

As for the alcohol and non-alcohol cakes, you should definitely find another way to show that. I was thinking angel and devil's food cake when I saw it. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I will let you know if I think of anything. This is a really nice design. Just get that font.

J

#16 byrose999

byrose999

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

“Design and illustrate a logo for a military (but fun) themed 21st Birthday weekend called ‘Operation Pink Menace’ for use on invites, stationary and other items. Include something iconic about the woman whose Birthday it is and also bear in mind she is a professional pastry chef / cake baker in training. She also prefers farmyard animals with ‘good flanks’, preferably cows, as her mascot so one was to be included in the creation if possible.”

I created two versions based on this. A full coat of arms design (loosely based on real examples to add authenticity) including her favourite pink Dr Marten’s boots, a cow. I expanded the chef theme in a clockwise direction by following this with a whisk and a finished chocolate cream cake. The second version used just the boot as a simple alternative. Both work well in either full colour or black and white. The amount of detail on the crest also looks quite official printed onto the aged hand typed paper invites.

It was nice to work on a small personal project like this. I had fun creating these and hope to take on more similar work in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: software, web design, web designer, website, website design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users