Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Alias Wavefront Maya

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

I have just installed Maya 5 and wanted to share the great news with you guys. This is a monster! You can do so much in it!

I was just wondering if there are any other guys around learning Maya. We could help each other and share books and tutorials.

#2 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

I want to... so much great stuff to learn. Right now I'm trying to figure out 3ds Max but that is pretty high on my list along with flash :)
Sanctum Studios :: Graphic Design Solutions

• Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:11 PM

I was told that 3D MAX is a pretty different thing compared with Maya. A friend of mind who's quite good in Maya told me to throw my 3d max book away - it won't help me learn Maya.

#4 mbleigh

mbleigh

Platinum Designer

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, MAX and Maya are definitely separate animals. I've had some experience in both, and while Maya is certainly the industry leader and the powerhouse, I find Max much easier to work with. You can set up global illumination in 20 seconds flat in Max, which is great for me :)

#5 sallen35

sallen35

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

I've had years of experience in Max and in the old 3ds_verX series. To be honest sometims I still prefer to do my modeling with 3ds version 4. When you've done things hundreds of times one way sometimes its hard change your ways.

Can you guys tell me what is the most striking difference from Max to Maya?

I haven't yet used Maya but want to know if the feature differences in Maya are with the hours necessary to learn it.

#6 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:51 AM

hmm... Is it worth the time to learn 3ds then or should I just ditch that and get Maya?

Both are industry leaders but I'm not sure now - are there very many things that can be done in Maya but not 3ds?

Thanks for the input :D

#7 mace

mace

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:06 AM

i started learning maya sometime last year.. maybe 2 years.. its been a while.. i can do ok modelling, but the models are just terribly optimized.. i tried making some models for games, but my design, while looking ok, just wasnt very efficient with the way i designed it and all the added polys i created.. then i can only do very basic shading, lighting, and rendering.. very little animation other than just making something move through keyframes rigidly... i cant do skeletons or anything like that for animation. there is just soooo much to the program to learn

i kinda actually wished i had decided to learn 3dsm instead of maya.. there seems to be a far greater amount of resources on the web about 3ds then about maya. if you go to a site like deviantart and look at the non-professional 3d things.. the people's stuff in 3dsmax seems like it usually looks better then things i see made in maya.. could be due to the fact that just less people use maya who knows. i had always been under the impression that 3dsmax, while still extremely difficult, was easier than maya.. another reason i wish i had started with that instead.

if anybody does find any good sites, please do share :D i learned mostly through a couple books i bought.. they werent too advanced or anything.. then just countless hours of messing around in the program. both of the books i bought would not be books i'd suggest buying though lol. they taught me just as much as i could learn messing around in theh program.

#8 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:29 AM

Interesting stuff mace... Thanks for the comments they were very useful :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users