Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

types of contests - icons

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

as you know there are some big changes going on on DC. But if you like to discuss them, please, start different threads. Here I would like to ask a very specific question - how would you like the different contests to be marked?

in the new system that we've set up the client can choose:
1. whether or not to "guarantee" their contest
2. additionally they will have to choose to make their contest open to Elite Designers only or all members of DC.

so as a result we will have the following types of contests
* guaranteed and open to Elite Designers only (basically the classical DC style)
* guaranteed and open to all members of DC
* non guaranteed open to Elite Designers only (don't think such a contest will get many entries)
* non guaranteed and open to all members of DC

it applies to logo contests only, all other types of contests will run through the old system.

Right now in the contest's list on the front page you can see an icon with blue flames next to guaranteed contests and an orange arrow next to non guaranteed contests. I don't think those icons make real sense and I am planning to create icons which will be more understandable. I am not asking to design the icons for me, I just want you to help me with ideas. What do you those 4 icons could be?

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

would you consider having more than one icon next to each title

For example, an icon which represents "Guaranteed", one for "Elite Designers Only", another for "Open for All Designers" and one for "Non-guaranteed"

Then, you would put the appropriate icons next to each, mix and match them as appropriate for that particular contest...
:) Brandy

• Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

yes, it is possible.
I was also thinking about separating contests for Elite Designers and all members into two lists. Now we have Professional Contests and Community Contest and in this case we would have Elite Contests, Open Contests and Community Contests.

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

something like this sticking with the orange and or blue

Replaced the first one, I made it too small

Edited by sharie, 24 January 2010 - 08:26 PM.

Like us on facebook

#5 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

Here is my proposal ... I've taken all suggestions made ... Hope you like it. :)
Best regards,
--
jjyepez
--(image moved)--

Edited by jjyepez, 25 January 2010 - 02:40 PM.

• likes this

#6 marzac2

marzac2

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

Very easy to understand those Jjyepez. I love the non guaranteed and community contest logos. My only suggestion would be to use gold color for the elite team logos in order to distinguish them. What do you think?

• Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Here is my proposal ... I've taken all suggestions made ... Hope you like it. :)
Best regards,
--
jjyepez

they are very good indeed!
the actual image size is 34x24px, so if you like to try doing them in actual size.

#8 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

I'm glad you liked them, ... I used green in ED icons because of the meaning of GREEN to Elite Designers ... all DC members are BLUE (nickname color) and become GREEN when they are finally admitted as EDs!
I prefer GREEN for EDs but ... discussion is open ... let's see.

I have sent the iconset and source files to resureprus (Sergey) for him to use them the way he considers best.

I'm glad to contribute tu DC's l&f ...

Best regards,
--
jjyepez

Edited by jjyepez, 25 January 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#9 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

I used green in ED icons because of the meaning of GREEN to Elite Designers ... all DC members are BLUE (nickname color) and become GREEN when they are finally admitted as EDs!

Interesting, jjyepez! In USA, the term "Green" means the opposite, it would mean "new" or "not ripe" or "beginner". When we refer to someone as "Green" they are still learning... that is just so fascinating!

I think in all countries/cultures, though, that GOLD refers to the elite (think of the Olympics). I like the choice of BLUE for registered members, I think it works well.
:) Brandy

#10 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

Sergey,
Please let me know if you received the files.
Regards,
--
jjyepez

Edited by jjyepez, 29 January 2010 - 07:31 AM.

#11 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

No news on the icons ... ?

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

No news on the icons ... ?

sorry, not yet.
I am going to redo them a little, just haven't had the time with some other development issues.

#13 alyciaengel

alyciaengel

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:22 AM

I like the idea of different symbols for guaranteed/not-guaranteed & all registered users/Elites. The ones in jjyepez's post are great. They should definitely be simple, and easy to decipher at a glance. What about brandyarnold's suggestion to have "more than one icon next to each title?" There could be a circle for guaranteed/not-guaranteed & a square for all registered users/Elites in different colors, for example.

#14 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

aha!

i really dig the icon idea! -- it gives a quick visual categorization!

excellente jjyepez!!!!

Edited by sevehn, 02 February 2010 - 09:58 PM.

:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#15 Left Field

Left Field

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm glad you liked them, ... I used green in ED icons because of the meaning of GREEN to Elite Designers ... all DC members are BLUE (nickname color) and become GREEN when they are finally admitted as EDs!
I prefer GREEN for EDs but ... discussion is open ... let's see.

I have sent the iconset and source files to resureprus (Sergey) for him to use them the way he considers best.

I'm glad to contribute tu DC's l&f ...

Best regards,
--
jjyepez

Very nice work jjyepez. I completely agree these icons will make it pretty clear and easy as to what category each contest falls under. I'm personally hoping to become an Elite Designer soon myself.

Great work!

#16 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for compliments.
I'm afraid the icons are not being used though.
I was looking forward to seeing them being used because the acceptance and good comments from you guys, but .. It seems they were not used at the end.
Even though It was very nice to designed and proposed them :-) ... and the ones used by Sergey are nice as well ..
Cheers,
--
jjyepez

Edited by jjyepez, 28 February 2010 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users