Welcome?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

Though I am not crowned with the upper social status (yet) that seems to be going on at Design Contest, I still feel I may have some valuable input.

I must say I had somewhat of a rocky beginning at DC. The rules and regulations seemed a bit much for a new user trying to learn the ropes. But, I can honestly say, I do greatly appreciate what is in place.

My problem doesn't lie on the premise that we are to help other designers and contribute to the forums (WHICH, is EXCELLENT) but, when a new user tries to become active in contests and such, we do a 180 and there seems to be an attitude to them from tenured users which could be rather intimidating to new designers.

Inherently, I believe we should treat everyone coming to DC as that they MOST LIKELY have the ambition of becoming an important contributor and an excellent designer. Give them a chance, then weed them out. Please don't misunderstand me, I see what you are trying to moderate. I see the people posting things like "Good Job!" just to get their post count up, I see the things that I know you are trying to avoid... And I respect this. I just ask that a little common sense be used.

As in my case, if credible designs are posted and there is a violation in the presentation - coach them. You never know who you may be running off to build the reputation of DC

I now know the idea behind DC, and I value that wholeheartedly. I guess the mistake was that I was allowed to enter some contests without the 10 post rule, so I may be just a secluded example. Am I at fault? Yes. But do I feel it warranted infractions for my first try at something here? Absolutely not.

Being in the design industry, I have a backbone. And a biteback unfortunately when I feel it is warranted.

I don't really let things get to me like this, but for some reason I think this should be strongly cautioned to insure DC grows to the potential it could have. I too am driven to contribute to those in need of experienced knowledge, and I have no problem doing so. So I ask the "higher ups" of DC to realize that someone is not necessarily going to read every single forum thread spread throughout the multiple topics and categories, and hopefully understand all the nuts and bolts. In a perfect world, maybe, but as we all know....

I encourage you to coach instead of parent our new users. Contribute, if you will, instead of punish. If coaching doesn't work, THEN do the latter. Stop blindsiding the new users. Please.
  • Gery.M likes this

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

cclark,
I appreciate your opinion and apologize if you feel you've been targeted in any way simply because you're new to the site. I'm not sure which entry you received an infraction for, so I can't speak to that...

But, I do want to respond to a couple of your points. First, your post clearly conveys your feeling that new members are treated differently than older members. I assure you, this isn't the intent, and I'm certain that we have many new members that would argue quite the opposite. We make an effort to welcome each and every new member to the site and in many cases, we are much more lax with new members adjusting to our rules. (example: we have asked all members to use our logo canvas, yet the majority of new members posting in contests still do not use it - yet, if an EDT member were to post an entry without using the canvas, it would be an automatic removal of their entry and an automatic infraction)

Secondly, I know that you aren't complaining about the rules, but I feel that a little background information before I get to my point will be helpful.

Until very recently, professional contests on DC were only open to EDT members. The purpose being that in order to participate in the contests, a member needed to prove themselves as both a designer and a contributor to the site. This was our way of providing the best end-product to the clients, as well as cultivating the community that we all adore and respect. With the recent addition of "Open Contests" we saw an onslaught of new members (which is great!) that simply came to the site to post entries in the contests and never stepped foot into any of the forums (which we feel are the heart of the site and the place to learn the guidelines). For a time, we felt the uniqueness and value of our original framework slipping away.

Using yourself as an example - it has only been recently that I've noticed you posting in the forums, and your posts have been fantastic - meaningful, helpful, well thought out... I believe I've even added to your reputation points because of an excellent critique you gave another member. Without even looking through your posts now, I recall that you're a great new contributing member, and well on your way to joining the Elite Design Team. It's clear that you've explored the forum, learned your way around, and as a result have picked up on the guidelines and understand why we do the things we do. If we hadn't required new members to post to the forum before entering contests it's possible that you, yourself, wouldn't be the contributing member that you are... maybe eventually.

That said, I feel like your experience (and frustration) is simply that you're a victim of circumstance. You joined right at a time when DC was going through the above changes. As a moderator, I've seen a lot of pushback from older members that preferred the "old way", and a lot of pushback from new members that expect DC to be just like those "other contest sites"... in trying to find a happy medium, frustration has been felt across all levels of membership. (We've had almost this same discussion with our ED team, that claimed we were being too easy on our new members, not requiring the same level of contribution but allowing them to enter the professional contests)

So, it's possible that you were effected by the timing of your joining DC, and for that I apologize, but I believe you're misdirecting your frustration by claiming that we show any sort of favoritism to our longer term members or our EDT members.

We value ALL of our contributing members (new and seasoned) and we really DO coach them when possible. There are a lot of behind-the-scenes conversations that take place with members outside of the forum. But there is still a responsibility of each member to read the forums and learn the rules themselves. Our main objective is to make the playing field even for each member, and to provide our clients with the best designs possible.

You may have read in other threads that many changes to the site are in the works. This includes an updated knowledgebase, a more concise location to direct new users to learn the requirements. I hope that once the improvements are made, our newest members will not feel frustrated as you did in the beginning. We will be able to easily direct those members to a place where all of the rules and our intentions behind them are explained. And once this is in place, there shouldn't be a need to coach anyone through the process as it will become more cut and dry.

As far as blindsiding the new users... it is the responsibility of our members to read and understand the rules, and to follow them. We would never blindside a member for not following a rule that hasn't been posted, and aside from urging them repeatedly to read the forums, the stickies, and ask questions, I'm not sure how much more coaching we can do, and still remain contributing members ourselves. (for example, Coy welcomes every single new member that introduces themselves and provides them with the most important links to read) We are only trying to keep the integrity of the community and maintain professionalism and quality in the contests.

As always, if you feel that you've received an infraction in error or if a tenured member has treated you with disrespect or belittled you in any way, please contact myself or any other mod or admin.

oh, and sorry for the long-winded response! ;)
:) Brandy

#3 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

:)

Hmm...

I understand what you are saying, but maybe I was not clear on what I meant.

I wasn't really saying that there is a "favoritism", just merely a misunderstanding between people that have frequented DC for a while, and those who have not.

It is really easy to have a particular knowledge, and expect everyone else to have the same sub-consciously. I would be lying if I said I didn't do this as well.

I spent most of my post praising the rules in place within DC, and value them to the utmost respect. I was simply stating that the new users could use a little guidance, or at least in my case I feel that way.

Short and sweet, I don't look to break any rules here and never have I intended to. I guess it's just that I am the type of person to let someone know if they messed up rather than throwing infractions at them.

Maybe my lengthy post about the matter is not a good indicator of my next statement, but it's not a big deal really. I just thought it could be addressed for future members. I was mainly focusing that to them anyways.

#4 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

from my experience with DC ..when i was very new to the site.."wasn't soo long ago" ..i felt very strange how simple was those rules..was too simple for me..!!

i know i don't have the most professional opinion about everything in designing..so some times i give my simple personal opinion..maybe i'm right maybe i'm wrong..& if i think i realllly can't give any opinion about something..stuff that i'm not learning or out of my specialty..i just don't do anything about it..don't say "it's cool " or " i like it" just like that..
i guess if the original poster wanted to know if we like something or not they would make a poll about it :D

i simply wait for something else that i really can give a constructive contribution to..it's not the end of the world to wait couple days or even weeks to reach the 10 posts limit rule..
that's all bcuz i read the forum first..understood the rules & then started posting..but i guess new ppl do the other way around..they see the rules for posting in contest first..they try to reach it as fast as possible..
this is also my personal opinion ..may be i'm right..may be i'm wrong

& brandy i just would like to comment about the DC canvas thing..i was here for more than a month & i've just learned about the canvas couple days ago..by pure chance..i clicked something random in DC website then i found this article..now i can't even find the page again
i've always wondered where everyone posting in this specific canvas ..now i know..& downloaded them to use in the future..but i hope they can be located in a more clear position so everyone can learn about them

& cclark i've to agree with brandy ur contribution here is great..u've helped me personally ALOT & i added to ur rep mor than once..:)
and also agree that when i was new every one welcomed me up tell the founder (resurepus) i was really surprised by that..made me feel that those ppl really cares..

i think new members should just UNDERSTAND why these rules are here for first & don't take it personally ..i've take some critique at some things i've done wrong..i fixed it & here we go

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#5 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

CClark413, I can feel your frustration, I think we are in similar situations, we joined a while back but actually it wasn't till recently that we became an active member. There are many rules on DC, some that we can be a bit picky but if you think about it they serve a purpose. I too felt picked on as a newer user when one of the Mods gave me an infraction. I was a real simple mistake but rules are rules. I guess being military retired I should have figured that on my own. I really can not see what happens to others since any infractions are done privately (Which I applaud), however I do not really feel anyone is singled out. Heck even when one member was pretty much ridiculing DC in the forums about the 10 post rule, the admin/Mods and other members were still trying to work things out to help that member understand. Once again I do understand your point I was slapped on the hand but I have learned from the process. I do think that infractions are left on your record too long but that's another issue :) I have learned to live with the rules and as long as they are enforced across the board, then I can abide by what happens when you break one. My main point is you are not alone I felt hurt when I got slapped but have now learned my lesson. Clark I take this as a great teaching tool to the newer users also, hopefully they can see that the rules here are inforced and not just a bunch of filler text. Have a Great Day!

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users