• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Relyyk

Relyyk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:28 AM

Just as a sidenote, some DJ's do in fact use CD's. They do manufacture CD mixers for that simple reason.

Due to the fact that one of my submissions contained an image of a CD, I felt it necessary to mention this.

Peace

#2 Ladylumini

Ladylumini

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:51 AM

Relyyk,

Cool! :) I thought I had seen pictures too. When it comes to DJ equipment I have to trust on references! Lol...but its good to know for sure.
Julia
Freelance Graphic Designer & Illustrator
Illustration
Graphic Design

#3 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:29 PM

:) ok Thanks for letting me know. I know that digital DJs use CDs but, I didn't know about them using CDs to actually "scratch".

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#4 Relyyk

Relyyk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:22 PM

Well, here is an ad I copied from a random website...will provide link if you are in disbelief, simplistic.

Axis 9
The AXIS 9 is Numark’s new flagship tabletop CD player. Featuring an enhanced interface that employs a touch-sensitive scratch wheel, the AXIS 9 delivers incredible response. With unprecedented realism in digital mixing and scratching, an array of effects that can be used simultaneously, digital output, and MIDI in/out for an entirely new way to unleash creativity and control, the AXIS 9 will unleash the digital DJ in you.

Remember the time honored expression, "Look before you leap".

Peace

#5 TheAdept

TheAdept

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:36 PM

No need to start getting nasty, people...simplistik was cool in admitting his lack of knowledge in this regard. Generally not a good idea to keep beating a point that has already been conceded. :) Bygones....
-TheAdept-

#6 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:53 PM

Good grief, I say thanx for letting me know about this stuff and it gets flipped around to, I don't believe you, you must be a liar. Amazing!

-Leonardo da Vinci

#7 Ladylumini

Ladylumini

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:49 PM

Gentlemen, we're all adults ok. Sometimes we may misinterpret what is written because we don't see the expression personally. I believe everyone has meant well. I learned from what Simplistik wrote and also from The Adept and Relyyk. You all are very smart and know what you know best from your experiences. So lets just be positive and be cool...I don't want to have to take on anyone, I know martial arts....(just trying to be funny here so please help me out here!)

so keep smiling...like this: :) :D
Julia
Illustration
Graphic Design

#8 Relyyk

Relyyk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 08:30 PM

:D

#9 sucramreverse

sucramreverse

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:54 AM

:) :D
if i only did that it would be spam so,
:) :D

#10 oTTo

oTTo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:28 AM

heres my two cents..
maybe three.

I have found that Graphic artists and fine artists both, as a rule, have large egos. And in this business, where critique and sometimes criticism are vital parts to success, one has to be very careful not to do any bruising or belittling.

I also like to mention, since this site is fairly new and working out a good system of things, that I think in a contest thread the only posts should be submissions, commendations, applause or compliments.
I also think that critiquing should be done by the contest coordinator only. After all it is a competition. Post your work in the 'show off' thread to get critique, then adjust and post your final comp in the contest thread. This would make for cleaner threads.

Id like to finish by saying ive seen alot of really talented and skilled works in these threads and I have high expectations for this site.
WheatField Design

#11 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:27 AM

Ummm... I would like to request that resurepus moves these last few posts into their own topic that way it doesn't interfere with the actual contest itself. Seeing as how it sort of straying. Cause I would really like to comment on this but in respect to the contest holder I believe it shouldn't be here.. and should be moved. When/If it's moved I'll make some fun comments that I'm sure you'll all enjoy.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#12 TheAdept

TheAdept

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:56 AM

I second that request if the Admin is up to it. :D
-TheAdept-

#13 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:25 PM

For those of you who don't know this is a follow up from this contest: http://www.designcon...40&pagenumber=3

I don't know that the large ego thing is a fair statement. Anyone in any field, who is good at what they do would have a "large ego", however I don't know if it's ego so much as it is pride. And in a business, where critique is vital you need to be as honest as possible. If I do something that looks like crap I expect to hear that it looks like crap. If I keep saying that you're stuff is ok, good, or nice and it's not you're NEVER gonna get better. I myself am known for my bluntness and honesty. I know I don't live in a fantasy sugar coated world.

I believe that this site has potential and mad props to resurepus for starting this up. I would like to see it grow, and would like to be part of it. Maybe, even part of the development team ::wink wink::. However, I'll be the first to say, because of how new it is you're not gonna get the same caliber designers on here as you would elance or porfolios. I myself have seen A LOT of not so good designs, not saying that they are completely hopeless. But a lot of ppl here seem to be new to design and are letting the program be the artist. The program isn't the artist you are and the program is your brush. I believe that a lot of ppl here could improve as could I, and critisism is what will help you get there.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#14 TheAdept

TheAdept

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:09 PM

It looks like this one was forgotten in the move so I thought I would pop it in here for reference.

Originally posted by oTTo
I have found that Graphic artists and fine artists both, as a rule, have large egos. ...critique and sometimes criticism are vital parts to success...

Yes, artists tend to have inflated egos. Perhaps this is what makes them so tender and suseptible to outside influence. :) The next part of your statement is possibly more important, however. As an artist or designer you will constantly be subject to criticism...it's part of the job description, if you will. You put up for public display any piece of art or design that you have created and every single person in the world is going to have a slightly different opinion about it. Most usually even feel compelled to share this unique perspective with you. If you are employed as an artist then having your work critiqued is inevitable. Learning to gracefully take criticism is part of what every artist needs to learn.

Originally posted by oTTo
Id like to finish by saying ive seen alot of really talented and skilled works in these threads and I have high expectations for this site.

As long as any suggestions are given in the true spirit of sharing knowledge and helping to evolve a design into a more refined state, I can only see people benefitting from hearing feedback about their work. If some of the people creating these 'talented and skilled' works wants to impart their opinions on how to improve a design, then how can this do anything but help everyone involved more fully explore the process? I certainly agree that we don't need anyone coming down on a design and saying it's crap, but most of us know crap when we see it. Rather than just ignoring it (which is always an option, and one I often choose) or posting derisive comments, I think some helpful suggestions regarding how to improve the design would be welcomed. It is obvious from looking through the forums that there are many young and/or inexperienced designers here. Why not let them benefit from the more skilled or experienced designers that are also here?
-TheAdept-

#15 TheAdept

TheAdept

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:56 PM

Originally posted by simplistik
I don't know that the large ego thing is a fair statement. Anyone in any field, who is good at what they do would have a "large ego", however I don't know if it's ego so much as it is pride. And in a business, where critique is vital you need to be as honest as possible. If I do something that looks like crap I expect to hear that it looks like crap. If I keep saying that you're stuff is ok, good, or nice and it's not you're NEVER gonna get better. I myself am known for my bluntness and honesty. I know I don't live in a fantasy sugar coated world.

I agree that you need to be prepared to hear that your designs are not up to par if that is the case. I would simply add that personally I like to apply a little 'Golden Rule' logic to such situations. Say what you have to say, but think about how you would like to hear the same thing if it were being said to you.

Originally posted by simplistik
...I'll be the first to say, because of how new it is you're not gonna get the same caliber designers on here as you would elance or porfolios. I myself have seen A LOT of not so good designs, not saying that they are completely hopeless. But a lot of ppl here seem to be new to design and are letting the program be the artist. The program isn't the artist you are and the program is your brush. I believe that a lot of ppl here could improve as could I, and critisism is what will help you get there.

I might tend to think that the amount of money being offered for the contests has something to do with the caliber of designers currently competing. I guess it all depends on personal motivation, though. I could be wrong, but I'm having trouble finding a reason why a world-class designer would want to enter a competition of this nature. Would it be the chance to add a logo made for a small startup venture to their portfolio of Fortune 500 clients? Would it perhaps be the opportunity to be paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for all the hours spent developing a branded identity? Maybe it would be the fame and personal sense of accomplishment gained by trouncing a bunch of people who are just learning how to use Photoshop with their superior knowledge of design. This might be different once/if this site becomes known as 'the' place to test one's skills, but I guess I'm just not seeing the attraction for them as of right this minute.

As for your comment about a lot of people here being in need of improvement, I will agree. I, myself, am always looking to improve my skills and the moment when I think there is nothing left to learn is the moment when I hang up my stylus, I think. I am always open to suggestions and welcome the opportunity to gain the perspectives of other people. This site has the potential to create an excellent synergistic relationship between all the designers who choose to participate in the contests posted here. It can only benefit everyone, and I think this includes the person hosting the contest, to get feedback from other designers regarding their submissions whether they are actually in the contest or not. It not only presents us with different viewpoints and perspectives, but also encourages the process of refining ideas.
-TheAdept-

#16 Ladylumini

Ladylumini

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:37 PM

I agree that a good critique is always helpful. But there are ways of how you present the critiques. It doesn't have to be sugar coated but not harsh either. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not another and vise verse...but I feel you all have the right intentions and points. Its too bad when things are taken out of context...I know how this can happen easily since none of us are in person to discuss these things. I'm taking classes online and I see this happening in the forums among students. It is common unfortunately but having communication back is helpful. I appreciate very much for the critiques and as much help as I can get. It does help me learn and having someone else's point of view is great when they see something I've overlooked or havn't had the knowledge yet.

I just wish people don't get frustrated with each other. Its so easy to take written words in differently than what it may have meant. You should feel confident in yourself and remember that there's always something to improve on. Its not an attack on your ability but how to enhance it.

My motive to enter these contests is because I got a wonderful young man (1 year old son) who looks up to me and possibly having extra money while being broke already is better than nothing. This is a good learning experience and it builds my portfolio. I can meet other interesting artists out there as well. but the last thing I'd ever want is to see frustrated people or those who lose sight of the important things in life...

With that said, I wish you all the best!
There's always room for improvement!

-juls
Julia
Illustration
Graphic Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users