• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 uniquestreak

uniquestreak

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:06 AM

hey, i was looking for some feed back on this site layout i just finished.

www.uniquestreak.com/jumping

- - - - - - - | portfolio --> www.uniquestreak.com - - - - - - -

#2 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

I love the white on blue! Overall design is good, got some crits for ya tho ;)

I think the menu is abit on the large side. Since the font isnt exactly 'interesting', Arial or whatever you've got there, I think there should be less emphasis on it (i.e. making it smaller = good).

As well, I think that if you connected the inner rectangles the whole design would improve. That white border inbetween makes it look like less of a design and more of a chart.

That's my two cents, take it or leave it :)

#3 uniquestreak

uniquestreak

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:43 AM

Menu, does look kind of big, lol

overall can i get a 1 - 10

- - - - - - - | portfolio --> www.uniquestreak.com - - - - - - -

#4 pentool

pentool

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

The first thing came to mind immediately after the page loaded that it's a full page ad in the newspaper. It has a very "advertising" feel to it. Then I said...soooooo? It's not bad. It maybe IS and advertising company or web page or whatever. So overall I think it is nicely laid out. Altough it would be a jump in the cold sun, because the blue color scheme does make me feel a little cold as opposed to warm....but hey.

I don't mind the big buttons. You kind of cannot NOT notice them :-) I think they stand out from all the other images and they scream right at you to "CLICK ME"! I might try changing the font to the "JUMPING" font that you used in the logo maybe...?

I think I'd give it an 8.t

#5 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, heh I realized that just now as well. It's called jumping fun in the sun, but there is not one sign of sun anywhere but the logo.

I also wanted to know where you got that picture. Is it a purchased stock photo you were asked to use? If not I would consider finding one with more sun in it, or I guess maybe editing this photo to have a sun.

Overall if I were to grade it I would give it a 7.5, just because there are still a few things that kinda bug me about this one. Like the font and the white border inbetween the 3 inner rectangles.

I think the drop shadow effect on the menu also makes the whole page look like maybe a chart or something, or a newspaper ad. I mostly see drop shadow in realism based sites. This one seems to be more design oriented and I'm not sure if it quite fits.

Again, though, I do like the majority of this site. Its quite appealing to the eye. :)

#6 pentool

pentool

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:00 PM

The reason I don't have problem with the drop shadow around the buttons becuase the way it is laid out is not too conventional. I mean the navbar is usually on the top or side and not in the middle of the content. So in this case the drop shadow (and I'd make it even stronger) articulates that the buttons are hovering on top of the content and as such are not part of the actual content. like a little control panel kinda thingy, if I may call it like that.

Now that I look at that image, I am curious if the kid is screaming because he is having fun jumping, or is he screaming because he is headed towards the spikes... :-))

#7 red

red

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:47 AM

I gotta agree the layout is definitely unconventional and creative. Also I agree about the choice of colors. Blue does dominate the site and there is not much warm color there to stand out from the blue background. Also you may want to add something in front of the fence so as not to give the impression that the kid is falling onto it. Or change the fence into a sunflower field ..

But overall, i like your design :)

#8 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:19 AM

lol after you said that, the little boy now looks like he's about to die to me. lmao
But it brings up a good point what was said, maybe you should try (to atleast) shave off the pointy edges of the fence.

The site i think its great. Placement is very good and besides all, it's attractive. As long as your client is happy right? The only thing I'd say has already been mentioned. Not enough warm colors to go with "fun in the sun" slogan. But that's just me. Seems like a nice site. :)

#9 rjzinger

rjzinger

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

Nice work, good use of stock photos! :)

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users