#1 donn

donn

• Designer
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

Hello people,

I'm very curious what you guys think of my portfolio/showcase-site:
portfolio Don

I'm not really freelancing right now, I'm between jobs.. this is what I show when I apply for a job.

Greets,
Don

edit: site is in Dutch:
CV=resume - studiowerk =work with my last employer - logo's en huisstijlen=corporate id - flyers/divers=invitations/misc. - cd's&dvd's/overige print en drukwerk=cd's and dvd's/misc. printwork

#2 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Hey Don,

You are a very talented designer. I especially like your "studiowerk" section - some of those product packages are extremely well done. Welcome to Designcontest.net.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#3 Qbikaris

Qbikaris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

I was wondering what the point was in adding a password to your cv :s

concerning the site.. I think you can actually do better than that, or at least that's what I've learned from looking at your work. I'm not saying it's bad though! What I actually do kind of miss is some sort of explanation of each work.. you know.. general stuff like the client, the used technologies etc. But maybe that's coz I have this same kind of view of a portfolio.

I really like your publicity kind of things though :) Keep it up!

#4 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:11 PM

I love the way you presented your portfolio!

I was wanting to have mine pretty much the same way but vertical but I didn't know if it would look good or not like that. Given your example I really like it so I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

I was wondering though, how you got such a large image to load so quickly? I mean, I'm an ocean away from where your site host is located, yet it took me less than a second to load the whole thing :p

Anyways I love your work too, its great. How long a period does this portfolio represent by the way?

#5 red

red

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:43 AM

Nice splash page! However, the gallery area is quite large to load for dialup users. Though most companies are using dsl, so it is not much of an issue. :) Nice works you got there.

#6 uniquestreak

uniquestreak

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

Looks good, I like the site a lot

- - - - - - - | portfolio --> www.uniquestreak.com - - - - - - -

#7 donn

donn

• Designer
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

Thanx for the welcome and feedback! Posted Image
I can't wait to get started with those contests!

I was wondering what the point was in adding a password to your cv :s

I don't like it when all my personal info is up for grabs on the internet. Call me oldschool... :cool:

concerning the site.. I think you can actually do better than that, or at least that's what I've learned from looking at your work.

I made this site quite quickly. But I liked it because of it's simplicity so I kept it online ;)

I was wondering though, how you got such a large image to load so quickly? I mean, I'm an ocean away from where your site host is located, yet it took me less than a second to load the whole thing :p

I sliced the images up, maybe that helped? I didn't intend to build the 'fastest' site I could though. But I'm happy it loads fast :)

groetjes, :p
Don

#8 Qbikaris

Qbikaris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

I sliced the images up, maybe that helped? I didn't intend to build the 'fastest' site I could though. But I'm happy it loads fast :)

About that though.. check your site in opera.. theres a gap in between each image :eek: I checked out what the problem was and you just have to add

img {    
margin: 0px; }

to your css :)

#9 donn

donn

• Designer
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

About that though.. check your site in opera.. theres a gap in between each image :eek: I checked out what the problem was and you just have to add

img {    
margin: 0px; }

to your css :)

thanks! I'll try it out!
:)

#10 goldmari

goldmari

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

Hey Donn,

I like your work a lot...
It´s allways nice when you are able to see some work from another country and still be able to relate to that...
Keep on the good work...

Mari - from Brazil

#11 PDL

PDL

Banned

• Banned
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

Some really nice work, however a few things i've noticed:

1) the main page, it kinda (in my mind) looks like something is missing to the right side of your hear (i assume its your head).

2) In general i think the main page is a bit too grey - try adding maybe i single strong color - like dark red or something just to "spice" it up a bit.

3) I must say that im not a big fan of vertical scrolling for several reasons. First of all the average user arent used to having to scroll in a vertical direction, which ultimately could mean that they won't see all you work. Think about maybe adding some sort of indicator which shows "hey theres more here" - even i missed the scrolling bar at the first glance.

Thats my 2cents

#12 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

Heh, PDL I think you need to check your directions vocab bro. ;P

I do agree that you don't realize the horizontal scrolling at first, but it took seconds for me to catch on and I thought it was a very clever idea. So unless one is technologically challenged, I don't think it should be a problem.

In terms of the site being gray, I think thats what he was going for. I mean based on the quality of the other work, this was clearly an artistic choice, and I think it works well. In my opinion, a bold red would just ecimate the page. I like it the way it is, for its simplicity.

#13 PDL

PDL

Banned

• Banned
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Heh, PDL I think you need to check your directions vocab bro. ;P

I do agree that you don't realize the horizontal scrolling at first, but it took seconds for me to catch on and I thought it was a very clever idea. So unless one is technologically challenged, I don't think it should be a problem.

In terms of the site being gray, I think thats what he was going for. I mean based on the quality of the other work, this was clearly an artistic choice, and I think it works well. In my opinion, a bold red would just ecimate the page. I like it the way it is, for its simplicity.

Lol i think your right - guess i had my brain switched off again :D Its always a question of the eyes of the beholder - but still HORIZONTAL ;) scrolling isn't a logical thing for the average computer user. In my daily work one of my main tasks is to find errors in the user flow on a huge portal site. You would be surprised how many things you and i think is simple and logical but the average user simply doesnt find any logic in at all. Still think a little more contrast on the page would work - but again thats just my oppinion.

#14 PR0DiGiE

PR0DiGiE

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

Your site is awesome, i am impressed :) i love the unique scrolling, the size of your images, the textures and font choices. I would like to see some feedback when i roll over your nav items though (could be a nice way to introduce color, like was mentioned above). Great Job!

#15 Mr. Plague

Mr. Plague

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

I think it is a great portfolio to present. I personaly like the logo section. Good work.
Tanner - I Am Canadian

#16 rjzinger

rjzinger

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:12 AM

Nice, I really like the way your did your portfolios.

Rich

#17 madsoxfan

madsoxfan

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:36 AM

Fantastic Designs. I am very impressed. I like how your portfolio pages scroll and flow left to right however if you could find a way to keep everything on one page would make the sight a bit more user friendly. Having to open up a new window for everything can be distracting. The less work for your visitors the better. But other than that it's sweeet!

#18 exo

exo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:41 AM

Nice work in your portfolio. I would like to know a little more about each project though. But I think you have a great body of work and should be proud.

#19 lemieuxster

lemieuxster

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

I especially like how the numbers on the ruler start to blur.
» lemieuxster , wasting time collecting stamps.

#20 OnesevenDesign

OnesevenDesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

Looks very good, I like the site a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users