About Rank

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 REC

REC

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

What is Rank? My rank is 105/5434, which means? how to increase the score rank?

#2 Rocky30

Rocky30

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi Rec!
The rank is the position of the designers so you are the designer number 106 of 5434... It´s great!! The score will increase when you win medals, get rating points and participate in the forum.
Regards :cool:

#3 REC

REC

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

wow! I did not really understand! the number decreased and I thought that I was losing points! so now this is written 74/5442 and this means that i am in place 74 of the total designer (5442)? I did not expect really ... thank you for giving me this great news ;) Your comment has been enlightening! Thank you so much!!

#4 omARTist

omARTist

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

this is so interesting for me .. =)

#5 omARTist

omARTist

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hope i can move to higher rank so i can submit more entries ..

#6 Rocky30

Rocky30

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

wow! I did not really understand! the number decreased and I thought that I was losing points! so now this is written 74/5442 and this means that i am in place 74 of the total designer (5442)? I did not expect really ... thank you for giving me this great news ;) Your comment has been enlightening! Thank you so much!!

:D congrats!!!... they're among the top 100 designers. Here you can see the list: Top Designers

Regards!!! :cool:

#7 acid

acid

Banned

• Banned
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

wow ... my rank is still very far away, what levels also affect ranking?

#8 Iridith

Iridith

• Designer
  • 1236 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I think that your level is the main thing that affects your rank. Number of points is the second one. I saw some people having more points than me, but being lower in the ranking, because they didn't have enough forum posts to increase their level.

#9 acid

acid

Banned

• Banned
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

oww.. thank you :)

#10 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hello :)

These links will help you:

https://www.designco...n-rating-points
&
https://www.designco...e-up-the-levels

Have a nice day ^_^

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#11 MirzapurArts

MirzapurArts

Banned

• Banned
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

It means you have 105 rank among 5434 verified designers

#12 Mini

Mini

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I can see how designercontest benefits from having active memebers but just posting to get better points is like leaving an apple on your teachers desk!

#13 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

I can see how designercontest benefits from having active memebers but just posting to get better points is like leaving an apple on your teachers desk!

No, it's not like that, we are not asking designer to just post any content to reach next level or to have some points, "you know poits itself is not the goal we are all here" it's how good is your designs and your work is that counts to win contests.

Posting in forums is DC's way of saying please share your experience & knowledge with each other, learn , get inspired , ask & answer,
not just for the sake of posting.

yes, it's good to have active users from owners preceptive , but it's not enough to be a great resource for designers & visitors if we just came here to seek prizes & didn't communicate & encourage each other.

just count the points you earn from your participation in forums as a bonus for being a good help to fellow designers :)
Have a nice day

Selma

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#14 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Personally, I think the algorithm for computing rank should be changed. It seems to weigh heavily on the designer level, which is determined by number of points and medals but also skewed by the number of forum posts. I have no problem with points/medals, but I find it extremely difficult to make the number of *QUALITY* posts necessary to move up each level. I believe others do also, hence, the large volume of useless, "I agree" posts and the need for administrators to ban users because of garbage posts.

As you scan through the list of top 100 designers, you'll find some with very few medals and very few points but with a significant number of forum posts ... it was those posts that moved them through the ranks to secure that spot in the top 100. There are others designers with more points/medals but who haven't made the necessary number of forum posts ... 70 posts to become a level 10 designer? Sure, posting is important in order to keep this website a community, but it's not the hallmark of a great designer. It's also deceptive to potential contest holders/clients who don't know the ranking algorithm. They may believe that they're getting a great designer just because the designer is a level 7 ... but that only means the designer may have won a minimum of two medals but made 30! forum posts.

I don't want to sound like "sour grapes" but I agree with Mini, posting in the forums is like leaving an apple on the teacher's desk.

#15 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Case in point:

The currently-ranked #98 designer has 15 gold medals, 8 bronze, 6 silver, and 12,134 rating points, but only 25 forum posts.

The currently-ranked #15 designer has 14 gold medals, 2 bronze, 5 silver, and 11,923 rating points. However, this individual has made 123 forum posts.

Please don't think that I'm picking on an individuals in particular ... these were chosen only to prove a point because they hold similar statistics.

If a potential client/contest holder uses rank to formulate a judgement about a designer (and how can designer levels/rank not influence judgement?), is the #15 ranked individual truly a better designer than #98?

I just believe the number of forum posts carries too much weight and makes the "top designer rankings" list deceptive.

#16 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I do believe it also depends on the amount of entries you have, I have more entries but less medals and points than others but rank higher, someone a few places below me has 75 entries 3 medals, I have 1000 entries and 10 medals, it's quality over quantity in design and forum posts for points. It is much more factors than forum posts that gets you higher in the ranks. Looking through all ranked designers in the top 100.. the system looks very fair to me

#17 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm not so sure that it's quality over quantity ... that person a few places below you also made 2694 forum posts :-) Forum posts are worth 5 points apiece. Granted, that person figured out how to game the system ... it's an extreme case, but makes the point about the true significance of being a "ranked" designer. If it weren't for all those forum posts, that person wouldn't even come close to making the top 100.

Yes, most in the top 100 deserve to be there ... there is a lot of good talent represented at designcontest; however, I still say that algorithm needs to be tweaked to be a *true* representation of the talent at the top.

Edited by PeachyKeenWeb, 01 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#18 savina

savina

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 1290 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I also think that the value of the forum posts is bigger than it should be but the main idea is that makes you involved with the community. I am not a kind of person that likes writing posts but because this is nessesary and I don't want to make stupid posts I started to read the forum more and somehow involved with the things going on here. I think that is the idea. 70 posts sounds very mush to me too but if you read the forums often you will find interesting threads and I think if you write your opinion regularly the posts and the points will come together.

Edited by savina, 02 January 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#19 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Sure, I've found interesting things in the forums, too, and I understand designcontest's need to drive the forums. Savina, InspireIT ... you have a reasonable number of posts, so you're using the forums as designcontest intends.

However, if today I made another 27 forum posts without entering another design or winning a medal, I'd jump to a level 9 designer and possibly jump to position 58 or even higher on the rankings. But did those 27 forum posts make me a better designer such that now I should be ranked?

When you make 1000 posts ... you've garnered 5000 points extra. That's the equivalent of receiving a score of 100 on 50 designs. There's no magic to the ranking system ... it's based on designer level + number of points; I suppose there could be a "quality over quantity" aspect to the algorithm, but I don't see it.

Perhaps designcontest should consider a cap on giving credit to posts, or change the point value after reaching a certain number of posts ... say only 1 point per post after reaching the 70 post minimum required to reach designer level 10.

I guess my point is that when the average person looks at that top 100 ranking list, they're thinking that the designer is there because of the quality of his/her work, not because of the "extra credit" of posting in forums. Granted there aren't a lot who are gaming the system, but let's face it, when you make hundreds, if not thousands, of forum posts, that's some significant padding to your point level AND your rank.

#20 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I believe you're bumping up your score right now n this thread :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users