• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:09 AM

Lately, there have been many contests held by other designers, who are getting logos,websites,etc. created for cheap, and then using these creations by selling them to their clients for even more money.

Some recent examples include (but are not limited to):
http://www.designcon...s=&threadid=562
http://www.designcon...s=&threadid=539

No offense to you corndogg (or you Onvx because I believe you are his friend) but $75 for a logo that you will probably be making at least $1000+ off of does not sound right to me.

And for the guy with 8 logos? That contest is just ridiculous!

For these types of contests, I think there needs to not only be new rules set (in which the ACTUAL client knows who is actually creating the work), but a minimum prize limit of at least $150 as well.

Just my opinion.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#2 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:57 AM

Ditto

#3 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:33 AM

havernt entered n e contests but it sounds only fair for the serious designer...
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#4 shuv

shuv

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:11 AM

i believe that if someone is posting a contest in order to sell the winning work on to another client, they should state that within the contest description, and think it only be fair to get a cut of what they make from it, even though that is really a bit of a rip off :/ hmmmm... anyone else have a soloution?
Will work for food.

#5 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:14 AM

i dunno get elegaldocs done
www.uiom.com.au

#6 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:16 AM

Originally posted by shuv
i believe that if someone is posting a contest in order to sell the winning work on to another client, they should state that within the contest description, and think it only be fair to get a cut of what they make from it, even though that is really a bit of a rip off :/ hmmmm... anyone else have a soloution?

Then people would just lie and say they're not reselling it.

#7 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:23 AM

that is very true now we get into all that legal red tape shite
www.uiom.com.au

#8 shuv

shuv

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:28 AM

shite indeed, so as it looks designers are gonna get ripped off no matter what :/
Will work for food.

#9 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:31 AM

that always happens unless u go through original channnels where in some cases u can make fortunes.
www.uiom.com.au

#10 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:33 PM

shuv-
I would think that the prize money is "our cut"

And why does it really matter what the original deal is? Just be glad you got paid and don't worry about that. I would say if it's that big a problem, go get clients for yourself.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#11 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:35 PM

You guys make it sounds like its cheap and easy to find customers that pay more then $300 for a logo.. if it was cheap and easy most of you wouldnt be here entering $50 contests. If other designers come here to outsource their work... there is not much that we can do... except not enter the contests.

Sometimes finding the client is the hardest and most time consuming thing. This is why designers come to DC, becasue the clients are already here, and everyone has a fair shot of winning their business.

Please if you feel you are being taken advantage of, do not enter the contest. I have felt like that when "crappy" designs win, it doesnt seem fair to me... but that's how it works.

I wish more people responded to my minimum prize amount thread...

Link

#12 corndogg

corndogg

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:18 PM

Originally posted by penguinpedia
No offense to you corndogg (or you Onvx because I believe you are his friend) but $75 for a logo that you will probably be making at least $1000+ off of does not sound right to me.Just my opinion.

penguinpedia:

It should not matter if I am giong to make $10 or $100,000 of a product. The simple truth is a logo design is just another overhead expense to a client.

Should the printer that prints the labels for a product charge differently depending on how the product is going to sell? NO! The client wants the best deal on everything, that is why he/she shops around for that printer that will print labels for 0.01 each.

$75 is not a bad deal for a logo contest, sure it is not $40,000 but if you were making that for a logo design you would be sitting in New York, LA, or Miami, at a firm and would not be able to have time to explore your hobby and enter contests like what are on this site. AND EVEN THEN, you would be making a couple thousand a month designing for a firm that sells your website design for $40G to Nike or Bacardi (i know cause that is how much I charge bacardi for websites.)

Lets say, you made $2,000 in December working for a firm in New York, designed 4 websites that month and they sold each for $10-40G each. IS THAT FAIR??? SURE IT IS FAIR. BECAUSE BUSINESS IS ABOUT MANAGING YOUR CASH FLOW AND KEEPING OVERHEAD LOW.

What about the guy sitting at a table of 15 other people in a New York AD Firm working on the new Taco Bell Account trying to come up with a slogan... one of many things he scribbled down on his napkin was YO QUIREO TACO BELL. Taco Bell made hundreds of thousands because of thier new slogan, and was very pleased with the firm. Should that man of got a check for 100 Grand??? No! He should of got a round of drinks that night at a hot night club with the founder of the firm and his colleges, received admiration around his peers (that is what this site will do), and been able to keep his job since he proved he was good at what he does.

To be 100% honest with you penguin I am a more than capable and very respected designer and could easily design this logo BUT I believe in this website and believe in the Design community.... this site is bringing designers all around the world together to home thier skills and show off some of thier work in the process. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I understand where you are coming from on what you said and I hope the above did not piss you off, that is not what it was meant for it was meant for you to understand where I am coming from and help you understand the chain of marketing.

By the way, the product that I am holding the contest for, my friend is a scientist and invents crazy shit and it just so happened wal-mart and other retailers want to carry this product, so the $75 that is for this contest is coming out of my pocket to try and build this site up and get some designers creative juices flowing. Oh and just so you can sleep a little better at night, I wanted to let you know I am not charging him anything to get the label preped for the printer just doing it because he is a friend of mine.

Oh and on a more personal note, I think you are one KICK ASS designer... much props!

PEACE :cool:

#13 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

I understand where you are coming from corndogg, so no need to worry about me getting pissed off.. I was expecting that response from you (and a few others at that) :)

Its not just your contest I am talking about.. there are much more, yours just happened to be the more recent example.

There ARE people who come here, pay $50 to get a website, and then sell it for $1000 as their own. That is my greatest concern. I am sure you wouldn't do that, but some do.

Here is an example of what I mean: Lets say I create a template for $60. It wins, and the contest holder gets it. From there, the contest holder sells it to the real client for $800. I don't get mentioned as the creator, and the contest holder takes the credit. In the future, when the real client needs more work done, he goes to the contest holder rather than myself. Does that sound fair? I don't think it does.

Onvx.. I agree its hard to get big paying contest holders... So here is another suggestion rather than raising limits: I think Contest Holders should be pre-screened. I don't mean ridiculous one on one interviews, but maybe a form to fill out instead of just posting a topic? Questions could include: "Is this design for yourself or for a client?" sort of thing. Then the DC.net team could post all contests once they were pre-screened, and inform designers that the contest is for another client. Its not 100% fool proof, Just a suggestion.

oh.. and corndogg.. thanks for thinking I am a Kick Ass designer ;) I am sure you are as well!
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#14 vBMechanic

vBMechanic

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:55 PM

I am simply amazed at the amount of time that some people will put in here without any guarantee of winning the contest and getting paid for the business. I've avoided entering any contests because I believe I can generate more income myself finding the clients myself.

If someone wants to farm-out work here and someone wants to do the work.. more power to them! Free enterprise, and all.

#15 DDD

DDD

Banned

• Banned
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

I am kinda with vb. I tend to now enter if I have a reserve logo design or something that will fit in here with minimal effort. Honestly I almost outsourced some of my work to here but I thought diff, instead I formed a relationship with a few folks like Simplistik who I am very confident in and will outsource to him. My point is that this community could be a good as we make it. The limit can be raised when the designers and designs as a whole are above standard. I was recently accepted into designoutpost and their site runs like a well oiled machine. Just about everything is pro quality. I think once the Admins here manage the contest a little more and slim down how many designers there are then you will see your worried go away. Trememndous potential here just mis-managed. Lost alot of good designers because of this.
Corporate Identity/Branding
Multimedia Design/Development
Web/Application Development
2d/3d Animation/Development

We Do It. www.implod.com

#16 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

once a design is paid for, it becomes the property of the payer, you are giving up ownership, they can do what they want with it after that.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users