• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:15 AM

Hey guys... just want to tell you about a new site I got going...

NewTemplates.com

I hope for this to become a great market for designers to list their contest entries that did not win.

I think there are a lot of people that want unique templates and logos. So if you have a website template or logo you would like to list, let me know :-)

This is the "soft" opening... I know not all the links work... and right now there are only 5 designs up. After I hit about 30+ designs I will start a paid advertising campaign, and that's when the sales will come in :-) Hopefully next week.

If you have any helpful or hurtful comments please pm or im me.

and ps, please click on a google ad! :p

#2 dbdbdesigns

dbdbdesigns

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:19 AM

Personally, I think this is a great idea.
Will there be a percentage you will take from the sale of the designs? Or a subscription fee, because of space limitations?
Just thought I would ask.
Dan
Dan Bantner
dbdb Designs
Dream Big... Dream Bold!!!

#3 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:16 AM

bad bad bad! You are offering unique templates for a way too low price. I understand your intentions, which I think are good at heart. At the price you are offering unique templates for you won't last long.
First problem) designers won't be willing to put time and effort into quality sites for this price(Also considering you probably want a cut or finder's fee). You'll find the quality of templates and quantity will lack
Second problem) people may see this as they're buying rejected designs, not professional at all.

While you may make some money off of this the business model for it is poor, unless it is a nonprof, in which case my hat is off to you good sir!

#4 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:46 AM

1. the customers dont know they are "rejected" templates,
2. many designers already have templates made that are sitting around waiting for customers, and there will be plenty from contests.
3. there are a ton of unique templates being offered in the 50-200 price range.

the prices are not regulated, i will pretty much put up whatever the designer wants to put up...

thanks for the feedback though :-)

#5 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:03 AM

Question: Are you taking a cut? and how much if you are?

#6 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:13 AM

hey well firstly the site is nicely designed, very nice, though u might want to change Untitled from the top bar lol, its just a little thing, and i believe it to also be a good idea once it gets going lol, oh another another thing how is one to pay or recieve money, through paypal or some other means lol, and how much will u pay for unquie templates.

just curious

later
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#7 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:53 PM

I got this idea from templates.com, in fact I sold one template on there... the problem is THEY charge 60% comission!!!

Here is how it would work... I put up your design on my website...a customer would purchase it,we both work on customizations if necessary (i plan to offer about 1 hour of free customizations to increase sales), then i deliver the product to customer, then you get paid. before it is sold all you would need to provide is the psd, so you dont even have slice/code till after its sold and customized (if necessary)

After figuring that 2checkout chargers 5.5% fee for processing and hold 5% for a security deposit... I would charge a 35% comission off your sale. You set the price of the product to what you think is fair (I shooting for the $50-$200 pricing range). so if you have a template you usually sell for $50, just list it for 75 :-)

#8 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:56 PM

psyris: the website is not fully operational, I just put something up so designers can see it and submit designs they want to sell. I am planning on starting a google ad campaign in a week or 2.

I can pay you via PayPal or send an international order. You set the price for the product.

#9 dhchin

dhchin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 06:23 PM

The only reason I would be against this, is because I am providing logos for site templates and they are being used in all of the templates. Now, if one of these designs is put on your site with the copyrighted logo, then you are looking at a lawsuit.

#10 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

Its a great idea.. and I want to wish you best of luck with it :)

I have been working on something similar for a while now, but I am just selling my own work (and possibly some work from my friends). It is just going to be an add-on to my current site.

I have been looking for a way to sell my stuff, does 2checkout work well? Do they deliver the templates instantly? I have also been looking at http://www.payloadz.com.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#11 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:24 AM

thanks for that
www.uiom.com.au

#12 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:33 AM

penguin: 2checkout works just fine, but I deliver the template myself, after payment is verified, to protect vs fraud orders, sometimes it takes them 30+minutes to verify an order if it triggers fraud alerts.

#13 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:45 AM

that doesnt sound 2 bad
www.uiom.com.au

#14 shuv

shuv

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:23 AM

sounds a bit iffy to me, best of luck with it though.
Will work for food.

#15 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:37 AM

y?
www.uiom.com.au

#16 Xerxes

Xerxes

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:46 AM

This does sound pretty cool.

Why 1 hour of customization though? An hourly basis just doesn't seem right. Why not provide a basic customization (logo, text) and charge them for more improvements if needed?

Also, you can have it to where the price is cheaper if you can re-use the template and have the price higher to have it removed from the site.

PS: spelled education wrong and travel link doesn't work. ;)
Patrick Johnson
Portfolio
Company

#17 shuv

shuv

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

what exactly would you classify as customizing. is this limited to the visual apperance? or are you going to offer "site off the shelf" ready to upload and done, content and all, just wondering
Will work for food.

#18 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:54 PM

hello,
sounds good,
I am willing to submit templates and fully customize them.
From Jack

#19 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:55 PM

p.s that person talking about price, that is how much all templates go for.

#20 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 04:54 PM

Well, what can I tell you: this is a great idea. Good for you and great for the designers. All win as long as the site is visited but I think you are going to take care of this.

I also liked the website idea although there are some small things that might need a stich. If you are planning to put a flash animation in the top let me offer my free times to this purpose. I ll see if I can have something ready for the next week (flash is always a great way to show dynamism and quality).

I think you have vision that is the core of a business and a great relashionship with the designers you never met ni person that is the second most important issue.

You can count on me and my rejected art for this matter.

Oh, and one more thing for the scepticals: not winning a contest doesn't mean the best art was choosen but simply that the customer has a like and he reflected that like in the selection. So you might find that a lot of the rejected designs have even more quality than the winner (artistically speaking).

Well, hope everything goes pretty great with this idea.

Have a great life... a lot of fun... and pretty girls or boys !!!

Peace,
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users