• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:58 PM

It's getting really frustrating the way a lot of the deadlines change from day to day, because someone comes on promising great things if the deadline is just extended.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I either meet the deadline, or I don't enter. I don't mind when the contest holder changes it for valid personal reasons, but just because some kid just found the board is no reason to change deadlines.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#2 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:52 AM

while this may be seen as another complaint.. I think this time its a valid one :D

I have seen to many people push deadlines back, then forth, then back again. It should be up to the designer to get something in on time.

I honestly don't know why some people need 4 weeks to complete a simple template or logo.. but hey.. what do I know?

While we are talking (and possibly complaining), I would also like to throw into the discussion the topic of rude know-it-all contest holders. It is seriously getting annoying being told or reading: "This sucks.. you could do better... its not done right, do it this way..." and so on.

Its time these "clients" learn that we are the designers, and that we are the ones that know more about whats right, wrong and what looks good.... not them. *phew* I have been waiting to get that out in the open. ;)
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#3 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:30 AM

Originally posted by penguinpedia
While we are talking (and possibly complaining), I would also like to throw into the discussion the topic of rude know-it-all contest holders. It is seriously getting annoying being told or reading: "This sucks.. you could do better... its not done right, do it this way..." and so on.

Its time these "clients" learn that we are the designers, and that we are the ones that know more about whats right, wrong and what looks good.... not them. *phew* I have been waiting to get that out in the open. ;)

Lifes tough, and if you get a client that really doesn't like what you did don't expect them to be passive about their feelings. Rejection is part of the biz, get used to it or find a different career.

#4 Shyflower

Shyflower

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:44 AM

Originally posted by JTWedding
Lifes tough, and if you get a client that really doesn't like what you did don't expect them to be passive about their feelings. Rejection is part of the biz, get used to it or find a different career.

I don't know how long you have been posting in contests, but both penguin and phacker have been around a long time and they both have some valid points.

The way I look at it, these co's aren't clients until they choose one of us as their designer for their project. They are potential clients and should be treated with courtesy and respect just as we should be treated with the same.

If I was at a job interview and someone told me I was unprofessional or that my sample work was not good, I would probably think twice before accepting their job offer. I, quite frankly, don't choose to work for rude people or to have them in my life.

It doesn't cost any more to be civil than it does to be rude. And while I understand that the written word can often be misunderstood more than the spoken word and that language itself is a barrier for some, I think that others who use this machine to convey their thoughts on any kind of regular basis should have that same understanding and choose their words carefully.

#5 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:15 PM

Originally posted by JTWedding

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. Its got nothing to do with my work being rejected and being hurt about it, I can handle rejection. It is the way they go about doing it.
I am not just talking about my work either, there have been some excellent entries that are just flat out told "It sucks". There are no comments that tell the designer what needs to be improved.. or thanks for spending 5 hours doing this.. etc..

Anyways, I am just repeating myself. I think the keyword here is respect. Often times people say things to someone on the internet that they would never say to someones face. Shyflower is right, maybe we should all start to treat these contests as interviews, and maybe start using some interview etiquette.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#6 BBGorB

BBGorB

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

It's getting really frustrating the way a lot of the dealines change from day to day, because someone comes on promising great things if the deadline is just extended.

I have to confess I'm responsible for one of the extended deadlines mentioned above, please accept my humble apologies if I've ruined your schedules, I really thought the deadline was on 30th cos someone mentioned it in the thread earlier.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I either meet the deadline, or I don't enter. I don't mind when the contest holder changes it for valid personal reasons, but just because some kid just found the board is no reason to change dealines.

Totally agree with you, but if a contest holder is willing to wait for this new member, it suggests he hasn't found the right stuff in the thread, and he reserve all rights to extend the dealine for that reason (if it was stated at the beginning of the contest).
N D E S I G
G N D E S I
I G N D E S
S I G N D E
E S I G N D
D E S I G N

#7 Shyflower

Shyflower

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

I really think there is more than one issue here.

Let's say you're picking out a bag of potato chips. You see one you kinda like, but the stock boy says,"Wait a minute! I got another flavor in the backroom." I guess no one would blame you if you waited, but on the other hand, you might end up choosing the first flavor anyway.

What I think is really at issue is the number of designs people submit and the number of revisions to a design that are made within a thread. I don't blame the c ontest holders for looking for the "perfect" design, but just like everything else... there is rarely anything close to perfection. I have won several contests here and at other forums and the rule seems to be that they like the design fine, but

"would you adjust the font size, the shade of blue (and so on) before I send the money?"

It's my opinion that if you give it your best shot at the beginning, unless you are really on the wrong track, that should be good enough for the contest holder to judge whether or not they want to work with you and your design.

It's also my opinion that all contests should have a definite end date. If you can't meet the deadline... too bad.

And while I'm crabbing.... one more thing. I think that comments between designers (and I'm as guilty as anyone) should be barred from contest threads. I really don't give a rats pitootee if you do or don't like my design unless you are the person with the money in your pocket (not *you* personally :) ) and I think it's pretty unfair that a spectator's comments might sway the contest one way or another. Besides, I loathe having to read through a bunch of text posts in order to see if there has been feed back on my entries (I know what I said above, but you gotta play the game by the existing rules!) or if indeed a winner has been chosen.

So that's my two cents of this go round!

#8 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:06 AM

Seems I struck a nerve. But I think that's what this design forum is all about. For the designers to share experiences, etc. . I agree with Shyflower about some of the rudeness. All the contest holder has to say is that's not what I a looking for, and maybe give a contructive suggestion as to a means to improve.

As to the changing deadlines. I've seen them changed then the person they were changed for, never reappears.

This board isn't as bad as another I won't mention.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users