&nsbp;

#1 Qeffects

Qeffects

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:12 PM

x

Edited by Qeffects, 29 March 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#2 oTTo

oTTo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:16 AM

Well overall, the design industry (to put it all under one umbrella),
is forecasted to be the fastest growing industry of all in the next
10 years. Web design is included, and is the fastest growing within
the industry. The only problems for graphic designers is competition.
There is a large amount of people competing for the positions.
Unfortunately lots of those are desktop publishers with geocities tools,
and the lot.

Basicly, become a good 'designer', tools mean nothing. And become
skilled at communication. If your good at both, you will have no problems
in the future...until the oil runs out and your computer dont turn on no more.
WheatField Design

#3 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:27 AM

The future is limitless man. As far as flash being the future? I don't think so. If you want a certain program or language to learn for the future you will be wasting your time. What could be considered the next big thing now could be outdone by something in the future. THing is you just need to keep learning new technologies and keeping up with everyone else. Just look at the people who learned html when the internet was new and now all they know is html. THey're most likely jobless as far as internet careers go. As far as anyone being able to make a webpage, anyone CAN make A web page, but can they make a good one that will work with their customers? Graphic/print/web design is a specialized trade and no random joe can do the same job as a trained proffesional. However, outsourcing seems to be getting popular...

#4 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:42 AM

Web design will continue to grow over the next 15 years - but eventually the internet is going to change drastically - and many current designers will be left hanging. What that change is.. I am not quite sure.. but I am sure that something will be invented/discovered that will change the way we use the internet. But since web design is such a small aspect of the design industry, it really doesn't matter all that much.

I personally think you should focus more on the graphic design side of things - while its good to know a programming language, the languages will always be changing and you will only be forced to re-learn them. By focusing soley on graphic design you will have a number of possible career opportunities, and will be focusing on a wider range of the design industry.

There will always be new companies that need logos, companies that need advertisements, and companies that need their products designed. And lets not forget the endless number of print jobs that will be needed.

And on a side note: Remember that the future is limitless. As new technologies are developed, many new jobs that we have never heard of will be created. Some of those will be design based, others will not, but ultimately our generation will be the leaders in these new fields of work. And thats my optimism for the day :)
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#5 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:31 AM

I like yours better penguin:) I think learning graphic design is pretty damn important but for the here and now if you wanna make webpages you still need to know some languages. however there's nothing wrong with being a purely graphical designer.

#6 Qeffects

Qeffects

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:02 PM

x

Edited by Qeffects, 29 March 2010 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users