• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 NextExile

NextExile

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:22 AM

I am actually rather surprised that there is no resource section on this forum. (Unless it is invisible to regulars) I believe creating a resource section would benefit all, DC and it's members. I already have at least 3 things I can submit to the section if it will be created.

If creating a resource forum for each software is too much, at least for now, we could do the following. Simply use a marking system and post all resources in 1 section.

For example: "PS - Brushes: Name of the resource"
Quality never goes out of style.

#2 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

NextExile free resources like brushes, free fonts or vector illustrations might sound great to use when your making logo or other designs, but there always a catch to those things.

First of all you need to read the little letters in the txt file, all those things always says that you may not use it for commercial designs or projects. The main contest here are for real companies so there for commercial use.

If you don't want to get sued you should not use those free resources.

If you want to use brushes you either buy them from stock resources or a special book or cd-rom/ dvd. Or make them your self for free.

Also photo or illustration should not be taken from just searching the web through google or any search engine. Those pictures need to be bought from photo books or stock photo sites. First of all the quality are better and you won't get problems with the owners of the photo's.

And for fonts its totally the same. Also the font won't miss any letter or special symbols.

For school work they are ok but if you want to sell things for real commercial use you need to get rid of all the free resources.

Standard pay resources are mainly. Istockphoto for photos and illustrations. Linotype for fonts. There are more but these are well known.

#3 NextExile

NextExile

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I was talking about resources provided by members of DC. I know perfectly well of the licenses and "tiny fonts" which is exactly why I think DC should have a resource section filled with useful things from members themselves, released under public domain license and available for any work, commercial and non.

To make it even clearer, I'm referring to resources created by DC members and posted here under public domain license.

• Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

NextExile, I think it is a good idea to share links to useful resources. As a matter of fact many of our users do post links to their favourite websites. They do it in Design Chat and Hangout forums. Looking forward to reading your threads!

#5 NextExile

NextExile

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

NextExile, I think it is a good idea to share links to useful resources. As a matter of fact many of our users do post links to their favourite websites. They do it in Design Chat and Hangout forums. Looking forward to reading your threads!

What if I have some downloadable content of my own, should I just throw it into the Design Chat?

• Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

we can upload it to DesignContest.net website.
I was thinking about goodies section there. but was just waiting for contributors :) Feel free to PM me to discuss it.

#7 NextExile

NextExile

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

PM sent.

#8 tuhinadash

tuhinadash

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

It will be gr8 ...
Advanced thanks to all those who are taking steps to creat such resource area...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users