Need feedback on my new business cards

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

I'm working on this new business card design for myself. :) I really need some constructive criticism and feedback on this, as these cards have to last me quite some time once they're printed. :p I'll be sending these off to my printer in a few days, so am trying to finalize the design asap.

This is front + back BTW

So... please critique! :)

Have a look at a large version at this link -- Abhay Singh Card Concept 1 by =Deathdart on deviantART

Posted Image

Edited by Deathdart, 26 June 2009 - 07:16 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AbhaySingh.in - Graphic Design Portfolio

#2 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

No feedback yet? :( Any prompt constructive criticism will be appreciated as I really need to get this printed and delivered to me within 2 weeks. Thanks! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:58 AM

Overall, I really like the design - it's simple yet it still catches your eye. On the black side, I really like the repetitive icons, but I wonder how it would look if the center 5 icons were a different color so they stood out from the rest? Maybe the same orange as in your name? On the opposite side, I'd also make 5 of the icons darker for more contrast.

Looks good, though!
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

#4 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

hehe my turn to crit :p It may be perfectly laid out but you also have to have some actual substance to the design. I do like the repetitive images but I don't know what they stand for (except the camera, and maybe the hand stands for web design?). Also on white card the yellow boxes over your title and contact info looks like somebody drew it on with a highlighter. Which could be a cool look except it clashes with the preciseness of the rest of your card. Maybe have only 3 colors... red, black, and white to match your logo maybe? anyways just a few thoughts

#5 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Thanks a lot to both of you for the feedback! :D

@Jenna -
Thanks a lot for the feedback! :) You can't make out from this preview image, but I've set the CMYK values so that the icons in the BG will be quite faint, as faint as the grey on white, while the center 5 will be a bright color. I still have to test this out with some test prints. The effect that I was going for looks fine with proof colors turned on, but it didn't translate well to RGB...

@Rockhart -
There is quite enough substance to it without making it busy I think. :p The images stand for (in order - left to right) -- logo design, corporate documents, publication design, web design and photography. This is just an added bonus if one can understand it, because it gives them an idea of what I do, but even if you can't, I've clearly mentioned that I'm a graphic designer on the back. The purpose of the icons is, for example, maybe you're looking to get a book designed and then you see the book icon on the card and read that I'm a graphic designer, you'll know that I can probably design books. ;) In that case, it doesn't matter whether you understand the other 4 icons at all.

The yellow boxes are supposed to look like marker highlights. In fact that's the them of the whole card - hand made design. Do you see it? Hand drawn sketchy icons, out of alignment and skewed highlights... except for the logo and text, everything else is supposed to look hand made. ;)

What are your thoughts after the explanation? :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

I like the colors, contrast and general look of the card. Have you tried making the "highlighter" less perfect? I think it would look more hand drawn if they weren't so straight and maybe did not have such sharp edges; I am only suggesting a slight change to the highlighter marks. Too drastic of a change will compete with the rest of your design.

On a side note, I don't get the icon for logo design. It kind of looks like a peanut. :)

Just my two cents. Good job!

#7 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :) That makes sense.. I've just tried making the highlighter a bit uneven and it does suit my concept better now. :)

The icon for logo design is actually the logo from my portfolio :p I'm hoping people might be able to relate to it if they see it on the card as well as on the website. Logo design being such an abstract subject without any universally recognized symbol was a bit difficult to represent otherwise. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:51 AM

Here's an updated version with the uneven highlight, please let me know what you think of it! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Thumbs-up from me! The uneven highlight gives it a more hand-crafted feel.
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

#10 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

Highlights—much better!

#11 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:58 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I've been putting off the test prints, but will be going to get them today for sure. Hopefully I can get the cards printed and delivered to me before Sunday. :)

EDIT: Got the test prints :) The colors look like how I wanted them to look, not what they look like on screen. I'm happy with them. Time to go to press! :D Thanks to everyone for their inputs!

Edited by Deathdart, 29 June 2009 - 04:24 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hi!

I have one thing to comment.

The placement of the icons in the background isn't the same on both sides, meaning that on the black background (back of the card) there is a bleed only on vertical sides (left and right) while on top and bottom the icons remain intact as they won't touch the edges.
In the front of the card the icons make more sense, they are balance, they go all the way to the edges.

I hope I made myself clear.

EDIT: More, I would like to see a more random pattern in the icons distribution on the card. Right now, vertically you have for instance:
1-2-1-2-1 understand?

By the way, you own logo is just that type, right? The "s"+"i" ligature is custom or by default?

Paulo

Edited by guetizo, 30 June 2009 - 09:21 AM.

thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#13 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback :)

There's a reason for the background being that way on the back: it perfectly balanced the logo, URL and icons in the middle. It was originally getting cut at the top and bottom as well just like the white side but that left very little white space around the logo and I had to do this to fix that issue. I myself preferred the old placement of the background, but I had to compromise for the sake of making it neater.

And yes, my logo is that type. I've designed the 'si' ligature. It's not a traditional ligature and I've never seen it used anywhere, so decided to make it a characteristic of my logo :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

I like the changes you've made on the card.

If you're going for a handmade look. The highlights don't really look like youve used a highlighter. I'd try to outline an actuall highlight... Like print the card w/out the yellow on it. then use a highlighter and copy that. I'd also fade some of the yellow after the "1st stroke" I don't think you always use a brand new highlighter and I've notice mine always fade after the first stroke sometimes havning to go back over it.. Just a thought though.

• Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

I've just added this thread to the Spotlight on the front page. Hope it will bring even more comments.

#16 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi Abhay

Yes, I understand the/your problem. Its - or was - a very hard decision to make.

When you get them, send us a nice picture of the final product.
:)

regards
Paulo
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#17 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

@Coy: You raise some good points, thanks for that. Yes, I did think of fading out the 'marker' stroke, tried it out and liked the solid version better. It's just a matter of preference I guess. It's not like the rest of it is very strictly handmade-looking either. ;) Maybe I'll reconsider this the next time I have to get these printed as they're probably already printed by now hehe

@Resurepus and guetizo - Thanks! I'll put up pics of the final prints when they arrive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

I'm confused about front and back here:) though I find this fun and creative for a biz card ;)
I know that is too late now for suggestions...but IMO a bottom distribution of the text on the back could make this look even better.
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Jermacans

Jermacans

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

its too busy background for me,talking about white side, i think that black highlights with white wording would be better than yellow highlights with dark wording.....
just thoughts....

#20 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

@robert and jermacans
thanks for the feedback :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users