I think its unfair that elimination makes you lose your points

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 elenakastrinou

elenakastrinou

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I think its very unfair that when the contest holder eliminates your design - after having given you a good rate earlier - you loose your points. The think is that most contest holders when they are in that place where they choose their winner, they eliminate all designs except for the 3 winning ones. I would have much better rate if I didn't lose my points that way... In my opinion that is something that needs to be taken under consideration in this site...
thank you very much

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Points change up and down until the contest is final, you may have another entry with higher points, only the highest points in a closed/finalized contest count in the end

Like us on facebook

#3 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I agree. In some contests, after working with CH to make revisions and get good rating points, if the CH eliminates your design to narrow down their choices, then your rating points are eliminated too. All that work and nothing to show for it - it is like you didn't even enter the contest. :(

I was wondering if in each contest, the CH could be provided with a folder or something within the contest that they can place designs in that have ratings. It could be used to help CH narrow down choices and would be for designs that they were interested in and gave high ratings to, and want to keep for comparison. That way, the designs wouldn't be eliminated and they can use that folder later if they decide to go back and look at designs they were interested in. I've seen where CH have accidentally eliminated designs they liked and have asked designer to re-upload. This folder would solve that as well. CH could choose to place designs in that folder while narrowing down choices, or move them back out into the contest if need be.

Then, there could be a separate "eliminations folder" for designs that have no ratings and are just not on target for CH.

Just a thought. Wonder if something along those lines would work?

#4 elenakastrinou

elenakastrinou

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

That is in fact a great idea PaintedPony... Or else there should be a rule that if the contest holder eliminates your higher rated design, you dont lose your points...
I also think that contest holders dont read the rules carefuly because if they knew that the contestants lose their points, at least most of them wouldnt eliminate them after having given a good grade earlier.

#5 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Good post guys, I have noticed this many times recently, staying on 80 or so points for a while then the CH eliminates all designs apart from a winning one, it is difficult though for the CH to possibly understand our point of view as designers, at the end of the day they just need a design and I suppose it's their way of sorting through the clutter, it's harsh on us designers, I hope there's a way forward with this, without putting too much pressure on the CH to sort through more designs, after all the CH's are keeping this site alive, they should in my opinion be allowed to eliminate all designs apart from the one they choose as winner if they see fit.

I think it's tough for lower level designers who only have a few upload slots and rely on gaining ranking points to move up the levels so they can submit more designs in each contest, being in the higher levels means you can upload to your heart is content, but I suppose this is where new designers must be super creative and make sure their designs are 100% in their minds before submitting. It all makes for a great site and satisfying customers, the union between us all on these here forums, then the high competition in the contests is great on DC and I wouldn't try to push CH's into making extra decisions into other designs, I am all for a solution to this as it's also a bit dis-heartening to higher level designers also, so a subtle way would be awesome. The separate folder/category for CH's is a good idea PaintedPony, I do not think it could hurt, as long as the functionality is simple. The thought behind designers being disheartened and not even entering some contests because they think they will not get any ratings is also a factor, some CH's do not get the amount of entries other contests do because they may rate too highly some initial design, like myself I think 'why bother' so a knock out type of system subtly in place could imrpove the site, more designs for each CH and more rankings for Designers, as I have said though, it needs to be integrated subtly and cleverly (which both aren't my strong points :) ) Their are clever minds here that I am sure could tweak things.

#6 elenakastrinou

elenakastrinou

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

You are so right InspireIT... I dont mind at all that I have an upload limit beacuse if I get a goot rate I get another chance. A contest that I was participating for days ends soon. I had submitted 13 designs and I was on the top almost during the whole contest. My highest score was 89 and now all of my designs are eliminated and I am ending up with nothing after long hours of work... :/

#7 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi InspireIT~ You bring up some good points. Not sure if the folder idea is feasible - might be a programming nightmare? But I had envisioned it as a folder that would be useful to CH (as well as designers). For example, say CH is narrowing down entries and they have several high-rated designs that they like. The CH could click on an entry and there would be an option "save for later review", then that entry would go into that folder. The CH could move entries in and out of that folder as needed. Inside that folder, if CH clicks on an entry, there would be an option "move back to contest" if they change their mind (and that does happen). This would be an easy way for CH to sort through the entries. The "eliminations folder" would only be for entries that CH deems not on target and gave no ratings to. Entries that go into the 'save' folder could just remain there and that way, designers will retain their valuable rating points.

Not sure if that would work? I agree that functionality needs to remain as simple as possible for CH. Maybe it could work that once a designer receives their highest rating in a contest, the system keeps those points even if the entry is deleted. I don't know how that would work though? Right now, even if a designer removes an entry with ratings, they will lose those points. Hmmmm....

@elenakastrinou~ Sorry for your eliminations after working so hard - I know it can be very disappointing and discouraging. Hopefully soon, there can be a solution to resolve loss of valuable rating points earned.

Also MODS~ Think this thread should be moved to "FEATURE REQUESTS"?

#8 elenakastrinou

elenakastrinou

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I think your suggestions InspireIT and PaintedPony are very useful.... Admins should really think about that because if they can have their "employees" (designers) happy at no cost, that would be a win-win situation as satisfied employees work definately more productively...

#9 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I think it could work - not sure what all is involved in implementing?

The 2 folders would be available in all contests, but CH could choose whether they wanted to use the folders or not to help them sort through their entries. A lot of CH might only use the 'eliminations' folder and keep all other entries in contest. BUT for the CH that likes to eliminate all entries except for winning design, this could be an option that they would use. If they want to remove all other rated entries, they would have to move them to the 'save' folder. (Or the folder could be named 'other entries'). That way, when contest closes, designers will retain their points for that contest.

CH would be given guidance for each folder:

'ELIMINATIONS' folder - only designs that are not on target, you do no like and have NO ratings can be put into this folder.

'SAVE/OTHER ENTRIES' folder - only designs WITH ratings that you no longer want to see can be placed in this folder.

Both folders could be programmed so that only non-rated entries could be placed in 'eliminations' folder and only rated entries could be placed in the 'save' folder.

#10 Jasminnik

Jasminnik

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think it's not fair at first you got points but then you are eliminated

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

you do not actually receive the points until the contest has closed and finalized and then you only receive the points for the highest rated entry you have submitted. If the ch doesn't like your design why should you have the points?

Like us on facebook

#12 lstyrman

lstyrman

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think this is a difficult problem to solve. In one hand the CH is entitled to sort the designs by giving points to the one she likes and change her mind as often as she likes during the process. But of course it feels unfair if in the end you're not getting any points at all from your hard work. Also this is kind of what it is in the real world projects too. The client might change their mind even in the final stages in the project and you just need to adapt to that.

I'm just wondering if it's clear to the CH's that they don't need to eliminate all but the winner in the end?

#13 afm

afm

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

I totally agree with you guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users