Extermination of the VULTURES

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 RC3

RC3

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I think the "vulture" approach might have some advantages, but these are often outweighed by the simple fact that most people who live by this practice, don't often pull one over on the CH. I mean it's clear to see when somebody is just copying someone else usually.

If they either do it well enough the CH doesn't notice, or build on something that's been submitted and improve it, or if the CH doesn't care and picks a vulture submission anyways it just good fortune on their part. As rough as it may be, this is a contest after all, and we are entirely at the whim of the CH. That's the name of the game.

Besides the website does a decent enough job of punishing those who blatantly copy, and it's a hard line to draw in the sand anyways. What's the difference between being inspired by, and copying a fellow design? Surely I am not the only one who at least takes not of what has high ratings in a non-blind contest?

#22 rown

rown

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

What's the difference between being inspired by, and copying a fellow design?

My friend if you don't know the difference, you simply don't know what is like to be inspired. You obviously can get inspire by a winning design offcourse, and it's when in your mind you see your own design, completly different.
Anyway, it's better to seearch for your inspiration somewhere else.

#23 Windflower

Windflower

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Anytime I view an open contest, the first thing I check is the number of entries vs the number "watchers". If there are very few entries but a LOT of watchers, I generally just pass. That said, I've found that vultures are a part of real life in this business. :(

#24 diegomey

diegomey

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yes, I agree, sometimes I choose to upload my design the last 2 days, if its an open view gallery, but the contest holder might not see the submissions either. I would vote for all blind contest at first, and only direct communication with the contest holder -

#25 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36609 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I wasn't aware of it past time... wasn't thinking about it.
But now.... I have keep on seeing a few designer doing this. Waiting till the last day, and then submit. And that is their tactic. I couldn't believe it!
I was following what they are doing. One particulary won many contests by that. How convenient!!!!

I definitely think DC should bring the new option... like 4 days of submitting, 3 for improving... or something similar.

#26 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Interesting concept Babba. There is actually another contest site out there that does that - they provide 4 days to get your entry in and then the CH chooses 3-4 designers (might be from the top-rated designs in the contest) to move on to the next round in which only those designers have 3 days to submit and make any revisions or submit new concepts. At that point, no one else can enter any designs. Just the 'finalists'. Would definitely solve the issue of someone waiting to see the top rated designs. I've seen some designers do that and then combine the highest rated design and 2nd highest rated design to present as 'their' design. How convenient - all the work is already done for them!

Of course if all contests were blind, it wouldn't be an issue. Or if there was a way that the rating points could be blind (not the entries), then no one would know what direction the CH was leaning towards. It could be setup that only each designer can see their own entry rating, but no one else can. The CH of course would see all ratings. Once the CH picked the winning design, then all rating points would become visible. Might be a programming nightmare, but I think it could work.

#27 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36609 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I thought that concept with hidden ratings and comment could work. but at this moment... hmmm I do not thinks so, I'll tell why.
We have designers here who actually do not design, but figuring out how to copy and cheat in every possible way. They will simply track the whole process, by watching what design/designer is having the most entries, what and if they changed anything... by watching the improvement process you could definitely know what CH likes.

Edited by Babba, 04 February 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#28 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hmmm...didn't think about that, but you're right. If those 'designers' actually spent the time designing and coming up with their own concepts instead of figuring out ways to copy and cheat, then they could probably win on their own merits!

#29 chainmaster

chainmaster

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

You mirror my thoughts exactly.....

#30 seegor

seegor

• Designer
  • 1779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I know why you started this thread, and i know how you feel about this topic. One designer didn't have single post on contest, but few hours before ending he post 5-6 designs identical to highest rated concept, with slight changes of icon and font position and I'm not talking about new designer its a high rated designer that's why this is so sad. Lucky that it was noticed and reported so moderators took quick action and eliminated that designs. But problem is what if you don't see that until is too late, until contest is closed?:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users