Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

DC Flash Header Design Contest. Deadline August 1st.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Contest: Header Design for DesignContest.net forums.

Important: You might have seen the original Header Design Contest. Now you know how it goes - new session every month.

Deadline: August 1st.

Dimensions: 900x120px

Contest Description: The challenge is to redesign the header of our forums using the template provided in the attached .fla file. The template is very simple and leaves plenty of room for your creativity.

Restrictions: You must keep the shape of "DC" logo graphic unmodified! However you can change the colors and "DESIGNCONTEST.NET" text. Use the button on the right side of the header to link to your portfolio – this should be the only link outside of DesignContest.net included in your design.

You must be the author of all the graphics used in your header design. Clipart, 3rd party images, and derivatives of 3rd party images may NOT be used.

Comments: It is encouraged to comment and critisize in a positive way on ther members' entries.

Prize: Apart from counting as one out of three Community Contest wins towards instantly becoming a Design Team member, the header (and the link to your portfolio) will be seen by thousands of people - fellow designers and your potential clients.

This contest will be open for a long time, so this description may be updated as we get questions and input from you guys.

#2 DustyChair

DustyChair

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

In the headline, it says the deadline is Aug 1st, but in the body of the message, it says July 1st, which one would it be?

• Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

In the headline, it says the deadline is Aug 1st, but in the body of the message, it says July 1st, which one would it be?

August 1st. Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it.

#4 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

:(:confused: Ok, I wonder why I am getting an error trying to open this file? I have Macromedia Flash MX, and I work in Swishmax as well, yet they are bothe telling me "unknown error". Any ideas why?

Contest Description: The challenge is to redesign the header of our forums using the template provided in the attached .fla file. The template is very simple and leaves plenty of room for your creativity.

• Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

:(:confused: Ok, I wonder why I am getting an error trying to open this file? I have Macromedia Flash MX, and I work in Swishmax as well, yet they are bothe telling me "unknown error". Any ideas why?

Because the template is a Flash 8 file?..
I have already posted a request to convert the template for older versions, but nobody replied yet.

#6 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Because the template is a Flash 8 file?..
I have already posted a request to convert the template for older versions, but nobody replied yet.

I have flash 9.0 and I can't even get it to open in the player...:(

In any case, I was going to do a submission for this contest. Is there any way you can open the file and export it and save differently? I mainly work with swf files.
Or maybe you can just tell me this.... can you just post the psd or jpg of the DC logo and I can insert it into the header myself?

#7 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Weird, try and upgrade to a newer version.

In any case, I was going to do a submission for this contest. Is there any way you can open the file and export it and save differently? I mainly work with swf files.

You can export it only with Flash 8, I doubt that anyone has one.

Or maybe you can just tell me this.... can you just post the psd or jpg of the DC logo and I can insert it into the header myself?

Download header.swf, open your project, import it to the library, then drag and drop it to the workspace.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#8 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

Weird, try and upgrade to a newer version.

You can export it only with Flash 8, I doubt that anyone has one.

Download header.swf, open your project, import it to the library, then drag and drop it to the workspace.

Great, thank you!. The .swf files I have no problem with:)

#9 DustyChair

DustyChair

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

Do you care which Flash Player version the header is published in?
Multimedia Design
http://www.dustychair.com/

#10 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Do you care which Flash Player version the header is published in?

Do I care?...:confused: Did you mean to maybe ask administration?

• Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:58 AM

I really don't understand how a .swf file would help. As far as I know they are not editable. And the .fla is, so you may want to try using that instead.

How would a psd or jpeg of the logo help? Flash is a vector program. Of course you can import and use bitmap images in your flash projects, but we don't encourage that. I think that the best flash project is the one done completely in vectors.

#12 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

That would be great if you could post a psd.
If that is all that is required, and the rest is a free for all, then that's really all one would need, I'm thinkin...:-) The final is a flash file though, correct? No static?

Thanks,
karen

By the way, I can open the .swf is what I really meant, but by all means, if you have the layered PSD that would be excellent...:-) I can work with the .swf but naturally the quality wouldn't be near as good.

#13 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:38 AM

Actually, I just opened the .swf and it is fully editable...:-) I have all of the layers in the banner. I should be fine...:-)

#14 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:14 AM

well...maybe not...PSD would be great!. I can remove some layers and move some around, but the logo itself....not sure if you even want that edited? Right now it is in an up,over, and down state. Does it need to stay that way? I remembered you said something about keeping logo in tact. Sorry if I am being a pain...I wasn't here for the last one. I will go back and read the old forums to see if any questions I have can be answered...:-)

#15 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ok, well...here is an idea I came up with. All feedback appreciated..:D I do have one question in regards to the contest...Are we allowed multiple submissions? Like, if I decided to make any changes to this one or maybe even try another one, is it allowed?

DC Header-contest

Thanks! It's been fun!...:p

#16 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

I really don't understand how a .swf file would help. As far as I know they are not editable.

A .swf file can be edited, if it's first converted to a .fla file with a flash decompiler. So maybe it's somewhat useful if the designer knows what to do and has the right tools, but indeed, it involves more work than having the original .fla.

#17 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

A .swf file can be edited, if it's first converted to a .fla file with a flash decompiler. So maybe it's somewhat useful if the designer knows what to do and has the right tools, but indeed, it involves more work than having the original .fla.

Actually, I was able to edit the .swf ,as it is, in SwishMax.:)
"My Vision is to be able to give to you, "Your Vision"

#18 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

So here I am again :) After some time i've created my third version of the flash header for Designcontest. I wanted to do something with a summer style, so here's the result:

Click Here!

Hope You like it ...
“How to succeed? Try hard enough.”
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#19 kshdzines

kshdzines

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ok, well...here is an idea I came up with. All feedback appreciated..:D I do have one question in regards to the contest...Are we allowed multiple submissions? Like, if I decided to make any changes to this one or maybe even try another one, is it allowed?

DC Header-contest

Thanks! It's been fun!...:p

Just want to let you know my server is down this morning for some reason. Ive been using them for almost 2 years and the last 6 months they have been going down wayyy to much. so I decided today thats it! Ill be looking for a new server today,
"My Vision is to be able to give to you, "Your Vision"

• Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:18 AM

So here I am again :) After some time i've created my third version of the flash header for Designcontest. I wanted to do something with a summer style, so here's the result:

Click Here!

Hope You like it ...

It is an interesting work!
But I must say that the loading time is an issue here and with 2 equally good looking headers I would prefer the one that is done in vectors and weights less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users