• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 p23muell

p23muell

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Here is a web design i am currently doing for a client of mine. The company is called Progs R us. Let me know what you all think of the design and user interface. I realize its a little pixalated but try to ignore that...

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by p23muell, 22 August 2008 - 08:19 PM.
pixilation

#2 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I think, when you're on the site you don't really know what the site is about, try to bring more details in your design ;)
“How to succeed? Try hard enough.”
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#3 borsi

borsi

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

I find it too angular and rigid. i would use more curves. :)

#4 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

Is this the homepage? I would organize the text in some sort of grid and add more graphics.

#5 stlthriot

stlthriot

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

You have a good start.
First I'd probably spread the menu out a bit. And as far as the content area goes, yeah, I agree it needs something more. Maybe have that image of the woman going horizontal above that text.

#6 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

The general start is okay, but there are a few points you should check:

Logo:
The 'R' is to comic sans alike, if it's not an official logo, try to change it to a more solid typeface, which then results in an improved intergration in the site.

Interface:
I would make your design like 990pixels broad, you perhaps miss the people who work on 800x600 resolutions, but look up the numbers, little are still using that resolution. Besides you are able to give the majority of internet users the a better user experience and you have less "white-space".

Be more consequent in the use of the black borders, use 'em everywhere or (rather) don't use 'em.

I would choose a more grey-blue-greenish background instead of the yellow. It currently looks a bit old and not to modern, while modern, I think, would better fit the companies name and your current header.

Put more detail in the header and make it more illustrative for the companies goals/products. I can't see whether it is supposed to be programming language (if so, which?) or just random symbols from an old Atari 8-bit console.

Text:
I think the text is too large, choose a size 10-12 and go with a verdana.
Set the text to 'justify'.

Footer:
Why a site map if I see only 4 links on the menu and in the site.
The slash could say one of the following (per, or & and) while '|' is more like a separation. The text should move a few pixels more down from the white border.
Let the right alignment of the footer text match with the right alignment of the text.
rather use an '|' instead of a '/'.

Long list, but meant good :)
Good luck

#7 siahdesign

siahdesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

W-mind nailed it.

#8 raju.03kumar

raju.03kumar

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

Here is a web design i am currently doing for a client of mine. The company is called Progs R us. Let me know what you all think of the design and user interface. I realize its a little pixalated but try to ignore that...

Thanks,
Paul

as said before get menus fixed they are cramped in that region....
and change font size, looks good if reduced....
and in the logo reduce the size of the R (slightly) and move progs up ....
if you divide the r in two halves(i.e, line through r horizontally) then progs should lie in first half and us in the other..

Edited by raju.03kumar, 30 September 2008 - 10:33 PM.

#9 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

I think users will not have a difficult time using it. I wonder what it will look like with real content though.

As popular and saturated as greeking is in todays web culture, its never a good idea to use greeking because its misleading. The greeking is not how your final content should look.

Everyone has their own style - you have yours, and it works. Follow what you think looks best, but try messing with the visual hierarchy in the content. Put some real content, and organize it with content headers.

You're on the right track!
Good web design is all about the user. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

#10 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Text:
I think the text is too large, choose a size 10-12 and go with a verdana.
Set the text to 'justify'.

Why justified? It's not a newspaper or news portal. Justified text is awkward and sometimes even difficult to read for web users. Stick with what users are most comfortable with from seeing 95% of the websites, and go left-align.

Also, I agree with the font - that font doesn't look like one that everyone will have. Try something more streamline like Verdana (good suggestion) or Georgia. Interesting note about Georgia - Serifs are in style for technology, and studies have proven that users prefer Georgia for its ease of reading, and better results for people with Dyslexia.

The font size is fine - smaller is techier, true, but users will likely not care about the smaller techier font size - they just want to read (or more likely, skim) the content. Why inhibit that skimming habit with a smaller, harder to read font size?

IMHO

Edited by travislayne, 11 October 2008 - 02:06 PM.

Good web design is all about the user. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

#11 Guh3

Guh3

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:05 AM

As said by someone, the logo just doesn't look professional. It's close but needs more refinement. The outline is too thick and the fill is lost in it's effected haze. Not a big fan of the "R" typeface but it's not too bad. The picture is stretched...definitely change that. In fact the whole middle section has a stretched feel to it. I know the text isn't there yet but I can't stand hyphens in anything except novels, term-papers and compound words.
It's a great start, though, and I look forward to seeing the progress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users