• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'm kind of in a slump.. I need some critique otherwise I'm getting nowhere sadly.:rolleyes:

*sighs and chews on a choco-bar*

Posted Image
"We are too accustomed to the absurdity of existence. The loss of a universe is not worth taking seriously"

#2 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

What does asp stand for, if anything? I can't really make out what the blue graphic is meant to be. I think at the moment it may be too large, and to me, looks like it should have purpose. Perhaps smoother edges and scaling it down to the height of the lettering would look better.
What field of work are you in?

#3 SMJdesign

SMJdesign

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

adammonk made a good point, the point of a logo is for it to be recognizable. So it should have a very clear meaning of what the company is. It's a cool looking shape but I cant really give you any advice on the logo if I have no idea what asp is about. Let us know what asp is (or whatever you intend it do) and then we can give you some good advice

#4 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:56 AM

well asp is a programming language, which was developed by microsoft. I had problems picking the shape..since the theme is not quite clear. ended up picking sigma.

It's a company, which deals with creating ASP.net frameworks and programming..and hmm design of web applications.
"We are too accustomed to the absurdity of existence. The loss of a universe is not worth taking seriously"

#5 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

I think you need to play around with other fonts and layouts. Make the ASP a little bigger -- the DESIGN is important but it's bigger than ASP which I think is just as important.

#6 bijaneiro

bijaneiro

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

I would recommend not to use a serif font in logos, especially if the serifs are that light.

#7 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

I would recommend not to use a serif font in logos, especially if the serifs are that light.

That's true -- fonts with extreme thicks and thins are difficult to read on billboards from a distance and when scaled down.

#8 LifesizeStudios

LifesizeStudios

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

I disagree with that blanket statement...

Sometimes serif fonts work perfectly for a log. It all depends on what the logo is going to be used for (print, screen, etc.). It also depends on the company style itself.

But as a general rule, serif fonts are best for larger blocks of text...
www.JonathanCutrell.com

#9 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

I disagree with that blanket statement...

Sometimes serif fonts work perfectly for a log. It all depends on what the logo is going to be used for (print, screen, etc.). It also depends on the company style itself.

But as a general rule, serif fonts are best for larger blocks of text...

There's nothing wrong with serif fonts, but when there are both extreme thicks and thins in one font, they are hard to read especially on a billboard and do not reproduce well in print if they are knocked out of a background color. Just something to think about when designing the logo. :)

Edited by KHDZN, 07 September 2008 - 11:49 PM.

#10 Violet

Violet

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

I agree that fonts that have extremes serifs shouldn't be used in a logo - especially all caps, because from a distance it would look like a series of thick vertical lines. It's great for headlines however (think print ads, magazine and book covers). Then again, there's ELLE Magazine's logo . . .

As for your logo - Sometime all you need is one word to inspire the right image for a logo and I have one great word for you: Framework

Asp is a framework that helps to build web sites, web applications and web services.

Edited by Violet, 08 September 2008 - 09:44 PM.

Violet

#11 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think you need to play around with other fonts and layouts. Make the ASP a little bigger -- the DESIGN is important but it's bigger than ASP which I think is just as important.

Trying something else now. It's kind of hard to create something if you don't quite understand what asp and deals with..and i guess that's my problem.

Posted Image

#12 borsi

borsi

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

much better! I like that style.
in my opinion you shouldn't use an upside-down 'e' as 'a'. it is strange as it has no meaning...

#13 stlthriot

stlthriot

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Whoa, the newest one you posted is amazing! I do agree about the "a" though, it is a little hard to tell what it is for sure.

#14 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

There's nothing wrong with serif fonts, but when there are both extreme thicks and thins in one font, they are hard to read especially on a billboard and do not reproduce well in print if they are knocked out of a background color. Just something to think about when designing the logo. :)

I also agree with LifesizeStudios. It all depends on the company style, besides serifs are great for internet ads, web etc and there are many great logos made with serifs.

Guess it's a matter of taste after all....

#15 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

I agree that fonts that have extremes serifs shouldn't be used in a logo - especially all caps, because from a distance it would look like a series of thick vertical lines. It's great for headlines however (think print ads, magazine and book covers). Then again, there's ELLE Magazine's logo . . .

As for your logo - Sometime all you need is one word to inspire the right image for a logo and I have one great word for you: Framework

Asp is a framework that helps to build web sites, web applications and web services.

I was trying Framework, but it didn't really make my brains work..the world build should help more though. Thanks.

#16 Em.

Em.

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Im not fan of 3D logos. The second one is much better, its clean and i think easy to remember. well done

#17 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Im not fan of 3D logos. The second one is much better, its clean and i think easy to remember. well done

I kinda like the concept, but my boss doesn't ..and you know "who has the money orders the music"...He told me to make the P less curvy..but then it all fall out of balance..somehow

#18 sol

sol

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

I'm getting really desperate as it seems. I have to start on the site soon...but then again the logo is not confirmed :( so frustrating

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Em.

Em.

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

I know exactly how do you feel..
Last year i had the same problem. I went crazy.
I j remade the website at least 10times.. He liked retro style.. Like pages from 90s..
It was for prague university to recruit new students. I rather do not think what people thought about it.. When young students saw the website, i dont think they went study there ;]

#20 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

I'm getting really desperate as it seems. I have to start on the site soon...but then again the logo is not confirmed :( so frustrating

Posted Image
Posted Image

I like these so much better than your first post. The P is reading as a D now. Can you make the loop of the P continue/curl more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users