• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

I sold my Macbook for 700 bucks (which I purchased for 1400) and bought an HP dv5t customized with a 400$ coupon at 1,000 dollars total, twice as fast as the macbook (that I had, which was a year old) and much better built.

Just throwing my highest recommendation out there for the dv5t, great computer. I got these specs at 984$

- HP Pavilion dv5t Entertainment Notebook
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
- 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
- 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
- FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
- [For BrightView Infinity Display] Webcam Only
- HP Color Matching Keyboard
- Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN
- No Modem
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft® Works 9.0
- HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Favorite part is the 1680x1050 display on a 15.4 in screen, very cool (and helpful in GD).

#2 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

yep^^^it is a nice machine for the $(santa brought one for kids last year;))
it is fast, but so is a mac book;)

#3 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Maybe one could consider a macbook to be fast, but it's definitely not as fast as this and costs more. :X

#4 cbsheth

cbsheth

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

I agree on opting for a machine like that over the mac book pro.
It surely would be faster and cheaper but just that MAC environment is glitchfree.

#5 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, one good thing about my mac was that it had very very few problems and started up very fast.

Still not enough to sway me though.

#6 cbsheth

cbsheth

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

i am stuck with my macbook pro for the portables and and imac or desks.
PC is still fun to mess with.

#7 Bumblebee_Dsgn

Bumblebee_Dsgn

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

I prefer my Macbook Pro above any other, any day :)

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

I am quite happy with my MacBook. I love MacOS so much that there is no way going back to Windows. Besides with Vista out there it's just not possible for me. My bext computer will be MacBook Pro

#9 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

Wait till next year I am sure you be glad to do so because next year will be start on allot of touch screens. Otherwise you need to buy new laptop again within a year.

Next year windows 7 will be all over the place especially on the Netbooks adding touchscreens. Asus already have news to be working on laptops with touchscreens.

I have an HP tablet PC and I am glad I bought it because I can not draw directly onto the screen without buying extra cintiq or anything else.

I don't like the new Mac screens they now use glossy glass screens and they have to make the screen brighter so you don't have problem with the reflections. However it means the colors and pictures appears way to bright compared to what you print and on other screens.

#10 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

I love the glossy screens. I used to have a Dell and now have a MacBook. At first, I was afraid there would be a lot of glare on the screen, but it's not an issue at all.

#11 Reforma

Reforma

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

How can you really say your HP is twice as fast than the Macbook? Unless you've run your mac on Vista, you can't make that comparison... OK, you do use Adobe's soft on both probably and can compare that, but do you count all the time you lose setting up Vista every other day (because something's gone wrong again), dealing with antivirus software, installing drivers for everything, etc.? I think this is what makes a Mac much much faster than any PC - you buy your mac, you set it up for 15 minutes and then you almost never have to deal with it again, so all the time you spend in front of it is for the things you actually bought it - work, entertainment, etc.

As for the glass screens - they are a pain if you're out in the sun, but in proper controlled lighting environment it is in fact the most natural color representation. The only thing between the screen and you is fully transparent glass. With the older matte screens you have ..well, ah matte filter that stops glare but it does change colour. Before tft monitors came, when we were using the old CRT stuff - nobody opposed them being glass, right?

#12 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

How can you really say your HP is twice as fast than the Macbook? Unless you've run your mac on Vista, you can't make that comparison... OK, you do use Adobe's soft on both probably and can compare that, but do you count all the time you lose setting up Vista every other day (because something's gone wrong again), dealing with antivirus software, installing drivers for everything, etc.? I think this is what makes a Mac much much faster than any PC - you buy your mac, you set it up for 15 minutes and then you almost never have to deal with it again, so all the time you spend in front of it is for the things you actually bought it - work, entertainment, etc.

As for the glass screens - they are a pain if you're out in the sun, but in proper controlled lighting environment it is in fact the most natural color representation. The only thing between the screen and you is fully transparent glass. With the older matte screens you have ..well, ah matte filter that stops glare but it does change colour. Before tft monitors came, when we were using the old CRT stuff - nobody opposed them being glass, right?

Are you kidding me? When I bought my macbook for 1500 it had 1/4 the ram, a lot slower processor, and a lot less space than the HP I bought for FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS LESS. I have zero problems with vista, I love it.

#13 Reforma

Reforma

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

Did you really read what I wrote? I said that you cannot compare the specs (ram, cpu, whatever) because they do not run the same software and different software utilises the hardware differently. 1GB of ram is perfect for XP, but inadequate for Vista, right? I don't want to argue if mac or pc is better, but you just cannot make such comparisons, because, if not else, there are people just starting in design that would read this and they should not be mislead. There is no wonder Pros pay a lot of money for their computers - there is so much more that matters than RAM and clock speed - screen colour accuracy, graphics handling, font rendering, keyboard and mouse options, reliability, and many many other areas where PCs and Macs differ and it is up to everyone's own needs to choose what would work best for him

#14 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Did you really read what I wrote? I said that you cannot compare the specs (ram, cpu, whatever) because they do not run the same software and different software utilises the hardware differently. 1GB of ram is perfect for XP, but inadequate for Vista, right? I don't want to argue if mac or pc is better, but you just cannot make such comparisons, because, if not else, there are people just starting in design that would read this and they should not be mislead. There is no wonder Pros pay a lot of money for their computers - there is so much more that matters than RAM and clock speed - screen colour accuracy, graphics handling, font rendering, keyboard and mouse options, reliability, and many many other areas where PCs and Macs differ and it is up to everyone's own needs to choose what would work best for him

It's a common misconception that the Mac OS is better for design, maybe it was 20 years ago when they were ahead of the ball with graphics and color, but any lead they had is long gone. Yes, it's a fairly light OS that runs quick, but not so spectacular as to completely outweigh the huge negatives of price and much lower specs in comparison. Vista is heavy, but my 64 bit vista with 4 gigs of good ram definitely outwork the same level mac any day.

When it comes down to it, you're paying for a pretty toy in my opinion.

#15 Reforma

Reforma

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

I am not saying one or the other is better, I am saying there are differences, so which one is better for you depends on what you do and how you do it. So a designer shouldn't be comparing specs like clock speed , but totally other things.

#16 iatb

iatb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

I am not saying one or the other is better, I am saying there are differences, so which one is better for you depends on what you do and how you do it. So a designer shouldn't be comparing specs like clock speed , but totally other things.

Understandable, macs of their merits, just not my cup of tea.

#17 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'd love to get a macbook pro! It's my number one choice. only that i'm still saving up for it. their new 15 inch model is way too beautiful. you know anyone who's selling? the cheapest ones? heheh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users