&nsbp;

#1 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

delete my account

Edited by 4point7, 20 May 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#2 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

I'm working on a site right now for a plastics company and looking for ideas. So far I've heard that it needs more "bang." Any advice would be great.

United Plastics, Inc.

Is bang what its lacking? I don't think so.

The site is easy to navigate, attractive and engaging! Love the animated header!

I think what it's missing is anchors in the content section, such as H1 tags and the like. The content seems to disappear because there is nothing drawing the eye to it. Try adding some basic headers in the content and see if that adds some much needed fullness. :)

Remember that bang isn't what users want - they want to be able to accomplish their goals without thinking. Focus on the content next and see if that helps.
Good web design is all about the user. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

#3 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

delete my account

Edited by 4point7, 20 May 2009 - 12:29 PM.
I DON'T WANT TO BE A PART OF THIS SITE

#4 Guh3

Guh3

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:40 AM

I like the orange header. The upper part of the guy gets lost in the gray version but I do like the brown on the sides. I think it needs a little more depth, maybe change the white text field to a light hint of color. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it.
The "For Sale" needs work.

#5 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:01 AM

Normally I wouldn't comment on the style choice because I don't know enough about the client company. But I have to say, based on the "About Us" description, I think this site looks way too corporate. It needs to convince people that UPI knows about handling plastic scraps. Instead, it feels like a recruitment site for a really formal marketing agency. I would recommend rethinking the entire look and feel, choosing your visuals wisely.

#6 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

Well i can saw few things. Its 2008, Internet is everywhere and almost everyone uses it to search for company that can provide them with the things they need. If I am that guy and I am looking for thing that your company can provide me with, and I "google" you, see this web.. I will be there only for 2 secs (just to reach the X). This web is absolutely not serious, and doesn't need bang bang, just needs a simple redesign by a GOOD graphic/web designer.

Nowadays, corporate websites speak a lot about the company, this one makes me think that you are not serious about the work you do.
The best design decisions are simple, because they don't contain elements that are not necessary... and contain the necessary elements in a way that looks logical...

#7 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

delete my account

Edited by 4point7, 20 May 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#8 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

delete my account

#9 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get to work on that right away. I think that will add a lot. I also had it suggested that I change the colors to something like this:

United Plastics, Inc.

I'm not sure how I feel about it though. Any thoughts?

My eye was drawn immediately to the content this time. The addition of the content header and the different colors made the content the focal point, not the man. Great job!

#10 travislayne

travislayne

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

Well i can saw few things. Its 2008, Internet is everywhere and almost everyone uses it to search for company that can provide them with the things they need. If I am that guy and I am looking for thing that your company can provide me with, and I "google" you, see this web.. I will be there only for 2 secs (just to reach the X). This web is absolutely not serious, and doesn't need bang bang, just needs a simple redesign by a GOOD graphic/web designer.

Nowadays, corporate websites speak a lot about the company, this one makes me think that you are not serious about the work you do.

Talk about an ego.

#11 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

delete my account

#12 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

Not gonna gain any points with posts like that RoT :rolleyes:

#13 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:43 PM

I like the look of it, clean and easy to navigate. I think it would be interesting to see the silhouette of the man off-set to the right so it overlaps the border of the main area and the background, just to give it something that isn't so formal. It would also give you more space for content. Just a thought.

Good job though. :)

#14 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Guess I got misunderstood and someone got offended, so lets go for some more details.

1. Black man silhouette ain't appropriate, for me the space there is unwisely used. better put some pictures from the company / work process / machines etc.

2. Drop Shadow everywhere... it was "modern" a log time ago, try to work cleaner, or lower the opacity + bigger Spread

3. The navigation needs some "air" - its too stuffed and you got plenty of white space there.

4. The "where are you atm." - not the place. Make the header to represent the thing that your company do - like pile up some pictures of work process, big machines, plastic etc.

Here is a really 10 minute quick example of what i mean (well it needs another color to accent the important things with it). The header picture is just the first thing i got when searching "plastic". I hope don't offend you with the things i wrote - its my opinion. If you have something agains posting the example - tell me i will remove it.

Posted Image
The best design decisions are simple, because they don't contain elements that are not necessary... and contain the necessary elements in a way that looks logical...

#15 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

delete my account

Edited by 4point7, 20 May 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#16 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

delete my account

#17 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

One more advice here - your body text is edgy. I saw that you are using cent. gothic as font style for body text.

font-family:'century gothic', sans-serif;
font-size:.75em

Try to change it with Verdana and you will see how much the readability will increase

font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:11px;

#18 Neahbay

Neahbay

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I like the simplicity of the site, and the colors work well. The silhouette figure is appealing but my initial response is that the choice of character is not a good fit for the business. It doesn't coordinate well with the industry. This is a good opportunity for the company to take advantage of the positive environmental stewardship they are offering by recycling plastics. Instead of the male figure (who has a look of obstruction standing with his arms crossed) perhaps you could use something more whimsical and welcoming, and highlighting the recycling aspect of this business. A simple line drawing perhaps of a used raw material going in and a useful product coming out - just an idea. (I've attached a style of logo that may work well with this site).
I also think you could add something to that blue background that applies to the upi (take a look at stephensboatbuilding.com)
I'd love to take another look as you progress.

#19 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

delete my account

#20 Neahbay

Neahbay

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

I've been trying to think of something other than the silhouette to use because I definitely agree that it doesn't really portray the company; especially the more I think about it. I'll take your suggestion into consideration. The logo, however isn't something I can change. They just had their logo designed for them and aren't looking to replace it.

I like the fluidity of that shop dine fly logo and I think it would look great if you could translate that idea into their recycling process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users