Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

getting to know eachother (post your bio)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 Kanadian

Kanadian

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:34 AM

I think an integral part of ensuring a tightly knit community is getting to know eachother better...so let this be the intro thread to get things started :) I'll even start things off.

Name: Neil

DOB: May 20 1976 <---bday soon

Marital Status: Engaged

Occupation: Quality Assurance Analyst in the tech industry (wireless communication) Also own an online store which I've been operating since August 2002. Prior to the position I hold now, I worked and lived out of Whistler, B.C at a resort during the day, and doing stand-up comedy at night.

Hobbies: Been an amatuer texas hold em poker player for 3 years (mainly no limit poker) but am striving to become semi-professional (ie playing at least 1-2 major tournaments per year) Poker, fiance, work, friends and the business pretty much occupy all of my time. I enjoy gaming if I'm up late and not playing online poker (mostly counterstrike) I'm also aiming to have a screenplay complete for 1 year from now...I hope to produce it as a feature length film and enter it into film festivals.

Accomplishments: (the bragging section)

*Winner of "Best Original Production" at the "Canadian One Act Play Festival" in 1995 for a comedy I wrote when I was 18. I wrote it in a week and had no time for revisions due to deadlines

*Placed 4th in the "Canadian Championship of Online Poker" in 2003 out of 216 players. It was a no limit poker event.

*founder of a successful business which nets an average gross of $12-13k per month in sales.

bad stuff:

-Stole a car @ the age of 14 and was caught (it was more joy riding than stealing) had a juvy record which was erased when I turned 18 (thank you to the Canadian young offenders act)

-Was in a drinking and driving accident on my 19th birthday (I was the passenger) which nearly cost me my right eye from going through the windshield. Resulted in 36 stitches to the right side of my face...15 of which were in my eyelid (eeewwwww)

SSSooOOOOOOooOOO....you know a little more about me...how 'bout you?

#2 Blu I

Blu I

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:55 PM

Well lets see!

Name: Justin
b-day- Nov 27/73
Enganged

Ocupation- Well thats hard to say Ive done professional Magic for 17 years along with freelancing but I never look at any of it like real work.Guess thats why I love my jobs!

Hobbies- I have alot of the same,Ive been playing poker for about 5 years, mostly private money games.Right now Im getting alot into cartooning and animation. I play online alot not so much for real money these days as I like real games for that,more of practice these days.

Thing Ive done in my life- Lets see I had one of the most sucsessful magic tricks sold on the martket that I created. Heck Ive made a living with poker, magic and freelancing and able to raised my 3 kids!!

The good The bad The ugly- Well considering Im 30 now my teen years wernt the best. Was on my own at 13 living on the streets did alot of bad stuff. Then grew up and started enjoying life.

Well thats me who are you? Peace!

#3 Kanadian

Kanadian

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

heh. A fellow Canadian poker player! Lemme know if you ever need poker chips, that's what my biz is :)

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

Let's see... My name is Sergey and I am born an raised Russian.
DOB: October 26, 1978

Love travelling. Have been to Germany, France and even studies in Denmark for half a year. Here in Kostroma I studied at the local State University, the department of foreign languages, majoring in English. It's a great thing to speak a foreign language. You get a chance not only to get to know the language itself, but also the cultures of the countries where this language is spoken. Trust me, the Western culture has lots of differences compared to us.

I started this forum as both a business project and a hobbie, however it is much more of a hobbie than a business at the moment. I also do some design pojects once in a while. And take care of several other online projects.

I have a wide range of interests. I would also like to shoot a movie and right now a frind of mine and I are writing a script based on a short story by Vladimir Nabokov. I also translate South Park shows into Russian, just for fun.

Kanadian: is that play of yours is avaliable somewhere online? could we take a look?

#5 jlinds72

jlinds72

Administrator/ Designer

• Designer
  • 1461 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

Here's me....

Born: July 5th 1972
Married - no kids (yet....)

Lived in NY until two years ago when I moved to Nashville where my husband and I were both in college - he in grad school, and me finally finishing the degree I started back in the early 90's. Just graduated this past weekend (yippee!) with a 3.94 - it's amazing the difference maturity makes in your study habits :)

Work freelance for small design company back in NY, as well as have a few of my own clients here. We're moving to West Point, NY in two weeks, where my husband will be a biochemisty professor. Should be interesting. I haven't decided whether or not i'm going to try to get a full-time graphic design job, or just keep freelancing. Guess i'll see what my options are once I get there.

Hobbies: I do alot of painting (oils & watercolors) - have actually sold a couple over the years and have a few on display in two restaurants in NY also. Between college full-time and work, haven't had much time for anything else.

I've done many jobs over the years that i've absolutely despised, so i'm looking forward to continuing to work creatively because that's what I love.
Jenn Lindsey - Freelance Graphic Designer
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

My website: jennlindsey.com

Please review the new rules for DesignContest.net here

#6 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:55 PM

oh.. my turn :p

It looks like I am the young one on the block!

Name: John
Born: May 26, 1986

I'm from Canada as well, and over the past 18 years I have had some fun times. I started using computers when I was 11 - and have been using them ever since. Anything tech related intrigues me, and technology is my favourite pastime.

A few of you mentioned film production, and as soon as I can afford to do so (digital camcorders aren't so cheap), I would love to take it up as a hobby as well.

I will be graduating from High School in June, and from there I will be attending College in September, majoring in Electronic Publishing - which will cover various graphic design/english/business topics. I have also studied Spanish for the past 3 years, and I plan on studying it for the next 4 years in college.

I don't have kids (not that I know of at least ;)) and well.. thats about it!
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#7 bigyou

bigyou

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:48 AM

There I go

Birthday : October 29th, 1982 ( I'm 21, so you don't have to make the count :) )
Status : Not married nor engaged, but have been with the same girl for over 6 years

I'm a student in University in Graphic Design. I study at the Universite du Quebec a Montreal, which a french speaking institution. Since I live in the province of Quebec, I had to go through CEGEP, which is before university. So high school, cegep, university. CEGEP gives you a degree which is recognized in the bussiness. So I already have a three years degree in Graphic Design and I've just finished the first year of my second degree.

I've never worked in a studio, but can't wait to.

My first language is french, so sometimes my english sounds strange. But as time goes by, I become more fluent. At least in the writing. Speaking is another story. I don't get to practice enough. Anyway. I coach a 15 year old men basketball team. I played for all my high school years and I felt I had to give back to the sport since it thought me so much about myself and about life. But this is also another story.

Thats it.

Oh and I have a cat !

#8 LoriL1212

LoriL1212

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:17 AM

Name: Lori
DOB: February 2, 1973 (31)
Marital Status: Engaged for WAYY to long, LOL

Occupation: Own a web site development company for seven years; I am the web interface designer, and I do all the coding (HTML/XHTML/CSS); dole out an manage other incoming programming and corporate id needs to other freelancers - all run from home office... My bigger job is being a homeschooling, stay at home mother to my 3.5 yr old daughter, and 22 mo old son.

Hobbies: web site design, pc repair and troubleshooting, homeschool, surfing and spiritual growth

#9 pxlblitz

pxlblitz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:44 PM

name: Shawna
dob: 12-30-73
married w/ children

I live in Bay City, Michigan.
I am happily married with three kids, Jessica, Mason and Carter, and my husband's name is Ron. I was born and raised in Southern California, and moved to Michigan in 1997.

I am proficient HTML/ XHTML/ CSS, and currently learning php/mysql.
I love art, all forms usually. Most importantly though, is digital art. I am a proficient user of Photoshop, Illustrator; in the education queue is Flash, and Maya (hopefully soon). As well, I yearn for a carrer in animation! I have plans to return to school, when my youngest joins other Kindergarteners...approximately 2+ years from now. :D

For now I run a small sewing home business, and freelance in web development, and digital art (ie. web graphics / print graphics).

Glad to be here :cool:
"When Alexander the Great visited Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for the famed teacher, Diogenes replied: “Only stand out of my light.” Perhaps some day we shall know how to highten creativity. Until then, one of the best things we can do for creative men and women is to stand out of their light." — John W. Gardner

#10 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:58 PM

And one more...

Born: June 7, 1979
Single as I have ever been.

I have been doing freelance design work since I was 18 and a freshman at Penn State University, where I was actually majoring in all things (Hotel, Restaurant Management). 4 years later and nothing motivating me towards any kind of goals, it was time to leave PSU and look at other options to complete my degree; which brings me to Boston where I currently reside and am finishing my degree in eCommerce at Northeastern University.

I have had the luxury of working with some great clients at a very young age (something which drives me each and every day) and met some great business partners and friends over the last 6 years.

When I am done with school I will be moving to Hawaii, LA or Nashville to begin working at a design firm which fits my goals and desires best; I honestly cannot wait!

Hobbies: I used to work out 6 days a week; but have been slacking off as of late. Since I work with mostly musicians, I tend to sit in front of my computer listening to a massive collection of music via iTunes or using my iPod mini.

I love photography, and wish I could have gone back and minored in Photographic art at some point in the last 6 years of secondary education.

I bartend on the weekends to get out and socialize a bit, while I am finishing up my degree; bartending is something I have also been doing since I was 18...and it took me from being a very introverted and shy individual to a pretty open minded and extroverted individual; it is amazing what socialization can do for one's confidence in everything they do in life.
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

#11 Derek

Derek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:20 AM

Name: Derek (Who'd have guessed? :p)

Hobbies - Programming. I spend almost all of my free time working on my online game, Phantom-Quest, or helping other people with their work.

#12 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:15 AM

kk here we go....

Name: Michael

Um..hmm...i currently study business systems which is IT and busines joined together, funny enough quite dull, done design as a hobby for ages, though am starting to get serious with it, know some programming languages, java, vb.net, delphi, currently teaching myself asp.net and php for web programming though however never seem to have the time to do it. i also know css and html for websites yet i know they are not true programming languages. hmm debating whehter or not to change course.
won a couple of awards for my media/multimedia projects.
I like the movies and video games along with tennis rugby and soccer
currently dont ahve the occuapation that i want since im studying so i am a barista (coffee maker) and plan to be a freelance designer also, if ever happens.

there you go.....
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#13 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

this is good idea for a thread!!!!
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#14 Imagenesis

Imagenesis

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

Name:Vagif Kuliyev

Well, i got into web design a few years a go...learned html thru notepad and eventually started using photoshop...read a ton of tutorials..right now its the summer so im extremely bored besides the times when freinds come over...so i got into design..i know html, css, php, c++ a bit, and java a bit...hopefully i can soon finish my portfolio website and apply for the design team. im also planning on learning maya..but i cant find any decent tuturials and the interface looks pretty complicated..ill get around to it sometime though

hobbies:violin, web design, animation, computer games, building comps, football

thats me...

#15 Vicki

Vicki

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:03 AM

:) I'm new here so I thought I should post a bio:

Name: Vicki
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (for the entire 15 years of my life.)
DOB: Sept. 8, 1988
Marital Status: Single

Occupation: I work a little for the summer (and possibly into next year) at Kumon, where I'm an educational assistant.

Hobbies: I love web design and graphics of course..I've been doing personal stuff and a bit of customs for 5-6 years now. :) I also like watching movies, ice skating and hanging out with my friends.

#16 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:35 AM

It seems as though I missed this thread when it was started :)

Name: David Biederman
DOB: 3.14.87

Hobbies: Hmm... as far as interests go, anything art - especially design - definitely takes the cake. You know you're in bad shape when you dream about design every night ;)

Next comes music, in particular piano - always nice to have a second way to express yourself artistically...

When I do get a chance to get away from the computer I am usually rolling or reading.
Sanctum Studios :: Graphic Design Solutions

#17 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:41 PM

Name: Angie
DOB: 10-18-75

Marital Status: Married

Occupation: Right now just freelancing :/ Next year I plan on finally taking a degree course in Criminology & psychology, Anthropology & Archaeology, or Forensic science & Chemistry

Hobbies: Ex scuba diver, pool, wanting to take up skydiving.

#18 Xdreamer

Xdreamer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

Name . Merz Manuel
Status . Happy single
Birthday . 17.10.1979
Occupation . Webdesigner

Well my name is Manuel Merz and I'm living in that fucking small country called switzerland (europe, near germany, france, austria and italy) :D I don't know if anyone of you ever was here. But I can tell you something: Stay at home. It could almost be the uk if you watch the weather *gg*.
I'm working with computers about 10 years. Was more into gaming first than I did a study about information engeeniring and now I'm working for my own webdesign/pc-support company. Its kinda hard to get customers todays but I'll think straight positive and hope it would be better soon :-]
I got no girlfriend and no wife so I'm single and I'm happy about that because I got no time for a girl :-/
I learn beside the computer a bit of handdrawing (if I have time), do snowboarding in the wintertime and read books. I'm addicted to photoshop, coffee and cigarettes, *hrhr*.

So thats it, stay tuned and take care

My dA Portfolio | My e107 themes

#19 Planque

Planque

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:47 AM

Lets see (lots of other started wiht that, and so shall I)

Name: Chris
DOB: 29 november 1980
Marital Status: Living with opposite sex partner

Occupation: I work for a very large Telecommunications company here in the UK (guess which one, it's not hard) providing technical support for Anti-Virus/Firewall software as well as an on-line template based webdesign program, and also dialup connections to the ISP. I have always wanted to do design eversince i got my grubby little mitts on photoshop 4. One of the sample pictures had dirty cloggs on. I got to grips with the clone tool, and cleaned them up. Very satisfying. Thats when I knew what my career should be. (i'm working on getting a job in design, give me a bit more time)

Hobbies: I love all things design, from websites to toasters. Anything that has had some effort and thought put into the design is worthy of recognition. I am also a big computer games player, but I find myself spending almost all of my time with my girlfriend Lynsey. I suppose she is one of my hobbies. Together for 9months yesterday (everyone say awwww)

Accomplishments: Nothing as dramatic as inventing magic tricks (unless you count my dissapearing pint of beer trick).

Nice meeting you all, and see you soon on the contests.

#20 Gydian

Gydian

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:00 AM

Name: Ben
DOB: 10 July 1985
Marital Status: Single

Hobbies: Coding, sports, and writing stuff...I usually write poems and songs and such when I'm bored. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users