• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 NightDragon

NightDragon

Banned

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Why do you guys require an application to be able to post design ideas? That just seems really counter-intuitive to me.

#2 neambe

neambe

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

I concur!
NEAMBE'

#3 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think it's a brilliant idea after being apart of so many contests that have no rules. This is a membership site. You should think of it as a job interview. They only want the best for their clients and aside from an outstanding portfolio, showing good character and team skills is a must to be successful.

If you have more questions, I'm sure the mods will be happy to help you understand.

@ neambe, you should never (!) Just saying.

#4 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

because they're hosting the competitions / bringing in the clients. They bring clients in with the understanding that the designers that are participating aren't going to waste their time. Clients also know that those participating have been reviewed and have been found to be competent at the very least.

I don't think I'll ever understand people that join an established website to complain about/question the rules. I mean, that's like walking into a stranger's house and saying you hate the curtain color.

#5 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

because they're hosting the competitions / bringing in the clients. They bring clients in with the understanding that the designers that are participating aren't going to waste their time. Clients also know that those participating have been reviewed and have been found to be competent at the very least.

I don't think I'll ever understand people that join an established website to complain about/question the rules. I mean, that's like walking into a stranger's house and saying you hate the curtain color.

I agree! this site is def. a cut above the other contest sites I've seen. Not to mention its really hard to get in too (I didn't make it my first application, not enough actual logos in my portfolio :p ) but thats why its so great!

#6 neambe

neambe

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

Never use an exclamation point?
NEAMBE'

#7 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

In that context, I wouldn't. Just my advice. It's like your screaming at the founder and all of the staff here that you agree with what that 1 time poster came here to say. At the very people who you want to approve your application to join the design team. Unless that's not why you're here.

Asking a question is one thing. We could have politely linked him to the post answering his question.

That last remark was just snide.

"Your requirements and application process are 'stupid and you have no common sense".

Would you tell your boss that... with (!) ?

You kind of did, not sure you meant it that way but that's what it is.

I wasn't trying to be hateful at all. I was just saying that those kind of remarks, in my opinion, aren't the best to be making when you're trying to get 'hired' on here.

#8 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi NightDragon. I have moved this thread to our About section. I also changed the title so as to make it more clear for others.

@Gx3 Grafix - I don't think we would read quite so deeply into an exclamation point. But that's quite the analysis you gave :)

@ NightDragon

Why do you guys require an application to be able to post design ideas? That just seems really counter-intuitive to me.

Intuition is just an application of old habits in new places. It's entirely possible that your old habits do not apply here, because our site is somewhat unique. Just poke around a bit, especially in this forum, and I'm sure you will see how and why things work the way they do. Thanks for visiting!

#9 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for moving the thread and sorry for the rant. I really did mean no harm, more like advising someone who USES ALL CAPS. I did see a very good description of why there is an application process but I couldn't remember what post it was in or who posted it or I would have linked it. It wasn't a very text book answer anyway but it was straight to the point.

#10 sed

sed

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:27 AM

I concur!

#11 mashke

mashke

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

Coming from an other site with no rules, I believe some kind of membership is not a bad thing :cool:

#12 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I agree. From a buisness stand point it makes perfect sense. On the home page it talks about quality logos and professional designers. How can they assure their clients of this? By making sure each designer goes through the same process. The post thing, I believe is just about getting to see how designers interact with each other. You can be a great designer but if you're mean, cause troubles, speak down to everyone and create a hateful working environment, you're just not good for business.

lol @ sed :)

#13 ateschko

ateschko

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

I don't mind having to submit examples to apply for membership, but I'm not sure I understand why we need to post 10 times in the forums before we can compete. How much is there really to say before you can even get involved in the contests? Although that being said, I guess I just got the first one down.

#14 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

but I'm not sure I understand why we need to post 10 times in the forums before we can compete. How much is there really to say before you can even get involved in the contests? Although that being said, I guess I just got the first one down.

I think Gx3 answered some of that. and after your app goes through there is a voting thing. see HERE
From what I've gathered and read. is that the Design Team wants to see how/who you are.
If I were giving an interview for a job position, I'm going to ask questions to get a sence of how they act and hopefully what type of person they are and how they do while interacting amongst the interview panel. So think of your first 10 posts as some sort of interview / "probation period"..

at least that's how it came across to me. I kinda did the same. poke my head around to see what type of community this is before I applied.. still waiting to here back, but came to the conclusion this is a place I'll be for a while even if my app gets the ax. :D

#15 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

I agree and it's not like it's hard to make 10 posts. There are questions people ask around here either for general feedback or for help with an application or something. There's community games and the hang out it full of opportunity to say whatever it is you want, well unless it's flaming and goes against the rules.

Here
is the thread and post I was speaking of - jecrt says is best.

#16 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

Just want to add a little to that.

It says 10 posts but I'd like to think that they are looking for more insightfull 10 posts. Not just 10 post stating "Nice design" or "oh wow, great work" or "hey that was neat".. I don't think those type of post should cut it.

I see it as 10 post that was helpful or productive in some way. I.E. "Hey that is some nice work, I liked the shadowing and the way the layers make it stand out. What if you tried a green instead of a blue, can we see if that makes it Pop more?" or "great start, why not try to move this or that and see how that looks" or "have you tried to (fill in the blank)" or even "I don't like it, it just doesn't hit the mark visually of what you wrote about".

Just something that acctually contributes to what the person posting has ask or requested. something that will make him/her a better designer or see something they could of easly missed. maybe even making the chit chat type posts not count. like my "what are your hobbies" post. not realy productive but a could communicator to get to know the people you share the community with. That post shouldn't count as a "post" or the replies towards the "10".

I know I had well over 10 posts before applying and wanted to make sure I was up to par (at least in my mind) to the other designers before submitting my work.

This is just my opinion and shouldn't reflect on the entire Design Contest community**

Edited by Coy, 17 March 2009 - 07:48 PM.

#17 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

This is just my opinion and shouldn't reflect on the entire Design Contest community**

No I'm pretty sure everything you said about meaningful posts and constructive crits reflects the majority opinion here.... oh and don't count this as one of my 10 posts ;) lol

#18 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

LOL felt a disclamer was needed.

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

_redrum - can you merge this with one of the stickies or make it a sticky? I think the topic discussed, could assist New commers to DC.
Just my opinion.

#20 Bv23

Bv23

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

The application is a good idea, but the whole 10 post thing doesn't make sense. Most of the things I wanted to make a post on were for people who already got accepted. Like most people said, it is like a job interview and at least the "clients" know that designers here actually have talent to begin with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users