Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Opinions?
Thanx in advance...
Posted Image
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

• Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

I really don't like standard Illustrator brushes and sorry for being frank, but the plane shape needs lots of work. Right now it is some weird UFO :)

#3 geek

geek

Guru

• Designer
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

While imagining this on the tail of the airplane (which i couldn't see fit), i have listed simple questions as a guide.

How many elements do you have?
What message does the logo would like to convey?
Does it look good in just one colour?
Is the font unique?
Does it convey the objective, mission and vision of the company?
Did you consider the target market?
Have you researched about its competitor, other logo using the stroke style, other companies using the same font or initials and the last but not the least, have you studied the colour profile and theme or previous branding of the company?

I hope that helps :) Happy doodling.

#4 xValentynex

xValentynex

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

I agree with the above, but I do like your concept of the plane zooming through the clouds.. I don't really have any suggestions tho to help :(

#5 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Think about the qualities you want the logo to represent and then try and make a link with the brand (in this case - JAT) You don't really need your logo to show what an airline does - it'll be pretty obvious that it's a logo for an airline on the tail of a giant airplane.

If I were to guess what this logo was for, I'd say it had something to do with a fighter jet as opposed to a commercial airline.

also - as resurepus mentioned, the default illustrator brushes aren't a good idea. Maybe make a list of what the selling points of JAT might be. Then try and come up with some graphics that either evoke those feelings or just flat out visually represent them. Forget about trying to show "air travel". That's an easy concept to relay - people know exactly what it means. If you have a logo that links your brand with the emotions that you're trying to evoke - all you'll need to do is put it on a tailfin and viewers will make the connection.

#6 ADNdesigner

ADNdesigner

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

Opinions?
Thanx in advance...
Posted Image

The room between fonts an plane track is big, and fonts could show same texture as clouds.:D

#7 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

I really don't like standard Illustrator brushes and sorry for being frank, but the plane shape needs lots of work. Right now it is some weird UFO.

The idea was to make some kind of futuristic outline of the plane. Keeping with the time and progress and all that.
As for AI brushes...yeah...I work with photoshop mostly so I didn't dwell much into creating new stuff in AI.

Does it look good in just one colour?
Is the font unique?
Does it convey the objective, mission and vision of the company?
Did you consider the target market?
Have you researched about its competitor, other logo using the stroke style, other companies using the same font or initials and the last but not the least, have you studied the colour profile and theme or previous branding of the company?

Some of the factors were considered but not all. I'll play around those questions...

Think about the qualities you want the logo to represent and then try and make a link with the brand (in this case - JAT) You don't really need your logo to show what an airline does - it'll be pretty obvious that it's a logo for an airline on the tail of a giant airplane.

Agreed, but the logo won't be placed only on the tailfin.

also - as resurepus mentioned, the default illustrator brushes aren't a good idea. Maybe make a list of what the selling points of JAT might be. Then try and come up with some graphics that either evoke those feelings or just flat out visually represent them. Forget about trying to show "air travel". That's an easy concept to relay - people know exactly what it means. If you have a logo that links your brand with the emotions that you're trying to evoke - all you'll need to do is put it on a tailfin and viewers will make the connection.

I guess I should have put some info behind the logo development too. Since company is trying to rebrand itself I was going for the keeping up with modern times (since I believe they plan to renew thier rather old flotila) but also safety of flight (god knows how many plane crashes around the globe have occured during last three years). I still need to find the way to squeez safe flight into the story.
Included here is their old logoPosted Image
But connecting emotions and the brand is good idea.

The room between fonts an plane track is big, and fonts could show same texture as clouds.

You are right. I knew something was bothering me about the look of it but I just could not pinpoint it.

Well, thanks for the pointers guys. I'll post up as soon as doodle up some improvements.
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

• Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

honestly at the moment I prefer the old logo. But I am not saying you can't do better than that. It just needs more work. If you want to do a kind of futuristic plane outline, you should do some research and see what actual futuristic planes look like. Yeah, it's not that easy to create a modern logo ;)

#9 ADNdesigner

ADNdesigner

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

honestly at the moment i prefer the old logo. But i am not saying you can't do better than that. It just needs more work. If you want to do a kind of futuristic plane outline, you should do some research and see what actual futuristic planes look like. Yeah, it's not that easy to create a modern logo ;)

;) 646 6663457

Edited by ADNdesigner, 28 April 2009 - 08:39 PM.

#10 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Agreed, but the logo won't be placed only on the tailfin.

My point was that, in the contexts/environments that an airline logo is generally used, it's not necessary to explain what service they are in. what happened to "airways" did they choose to remove that? I think it should be there, if it's an option.

If you're trying to relay "modern/futuristic" air travel, you'd be better off relaying that message by using modern/futuristic typefaces rather than guessing at what a futuristic commercial airliner would look like. Let's say you want do want to convey safety / modern air travel. I would personally unite those two elements by developing an abstract mark that purports safety that works with a typeface/layout that is modern/futuristic. (I don't think Helvetica Extra Black Oblique is really conveying much in that direction.) Don't make it too "futuristic" or it'll feel dated by the end of this year.

that said - I'm not sure that safety or progress are good key points. I don't think people pick one airline over another based on safety - mainly because the planes are typically all the same couple manufacturers. Likewise, progress isn't really made by an airline, but by the plane manufacturers. Airlines typical sell things like comfort, promptness in schedule, care from attendants, etc. - i.e. things that the airline can actually control. Essentially, I'd say you need to look at the average flier of jat airways, find out what strikes chords with them emotionally and then replicate that in the logo.

again - that's all just my opinion/experience talking...feel free to completely disagree!

#11 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

honestly at the moment I prefer the old logo. But I am not saying you can't do better than that. It just needs more work. If you want to do a kind of futuristic plane outline, you should do some research and see what actual futuristic planes look like. Yeah, it's not that easy to create a modern logo

Great stuff. As a coincidence the outline is similar to boeing's X48B experimental craft so I gave the plane a bit more rounded look and it loosed fighter craft look from it:)
As for the old logo I looked around and never really understood what those three dots represent.

646 6663457

???

My point was that, in the contexts/environments that an airline logo is generally used, it's not necessary to explain what service they are in. what happened to "airways" did they choose to remove that? I think it should be there, if it's an option.

Included it now:)

that said - I'm not sure that safety or progress are good key points. I don't think people pick one airline over another based on safety - mainly because the planes are typically all the same couple manufacturers. Likewise, progress isn't really made by an airline, but by the plane manufacturers. Airlines typical sell things like comfort, promptness in schedule, care from attendants, etc. - i.e. things that the airline can actually control. Essentially, I'd say you need to look at the average flier of jat airways, find out what strikes chords with them emotionally and then replicate that in the logo.

heh. JAT Airways is the only airway company in my country. There is not much of the competition in there. So you either fly with them to the countries they go to or you don't.
Due to lack of competition in my country I was looking at all airline logos I could find. Much of them use the tailfin, wing/feather or movement representing line motif in their logos so I wanted to avoid those.
I also want to avoid overcomplicating the logo-something that I always end up doing because customers here like it flashy and fancy.
I was going for safety because their flotilla is rather old, but they have experienced teams that have been in business for years. Last year when I flew with them we made flawless landing through some really turbulent weather.
The futuristic element is there to make a point of their plans to improve the tech.

again - that's all just my opinion/experience talking...feel free to completely disagree!

Of course. Everyone's comments were really helpful. That is what I like about DC, though sadly I don't have time to visit it much.
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#12 hellorivenbark

hellorivenbark

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

A few ideas to think about especially for a modern logo design is to try and combine elements. Right off the bat I can see the 'A' being used for a few things. Being the middle letter only emphasizes the use of that letter.

Bust out a sketch pad and just go to town on some very fast and simple approaches. Visualize the many applications the logo will have, how will it look on a plane, ticket, etc.

*If I've repeated anything previously said, my apologies, I scanned through the thread rather quickly.

Good luck with it. =)

#13 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

A few ideas to think about especially for a modern logo design is to try and combine elements. Right off the bat I can see the 'A' being used for a few things. Being the middle letter only emphasizes the use of that letter.

A in the middle, while convenient is also overused in many logos. I'm trying to find different approach to logo solution.

Bust out a sketch pad and just go to town on some very fast and simple approaches. Visualize the many applications the logo will have, how will it look on a plane, ticket, etc.

That's a good advice. Thank you...
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#14 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

Started with this one:
Posted Image

Came up with these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wings as a symbol of flight, surrounding the globe-ish thing in protective (safe)manner.
Better? Worse? No improvement?
Thank you...
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#15 nhr

nhr

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:27 AM

Hello Dragan :)

Based on your site - you have great potential, but airline logos are somehow specific.

This link can be helpful, I guess:
http://www.ad-art.co...df/airlines.pdf

p.s. I really like your illustrations.

This is great:
ÆtherScapes
ÆtherScapes

and many other :) Keep up the good work :D

Edited by nhr, 30 April 2009 - 01:42 AM.

#16 Sandersonia

Sandersonia

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

I definitely like the second versions better, but the off centered wings are bothering me. I like the first circle and wings without the plane better than the one with it, because the globe in the second one is huge in proportion to the text...I'm not too keen on the plane either. To someone who doesn't know models that well it looks a lot like an alien star-fighter or something. Could you try making it sleeker and keep the futuristic appeal, but give it an over-tone of universal recognizability?

"I was going for safety because their flotilla is rather old, but they have experienced teams that have been in business for years. Last year when I flew with them we made flawless landing through some really turbulent weather.
The futuristic element is there to make a point of their plans to improve the tech."

Try working it from multiple angles. Instead of just hitting on the tech side, try giving it a safe, friendly feel and see how that works for you. Sometimes you don't know what you (Jat) would actually like until you see it on paper (screen)

Good luck!

#17 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thank you. I already ditched the globe with the plain-it was hurting my eyes BAD. I am also making the globe/wings smaller. A lot smaller.
One additional thing that bothers me is the transition to black and white medium and how the logo functions on other colors...
I also plan on showing these logos to several people and asking them what do they tell them about company. Not much what they do but how they do it.
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#18 baiskee

baiskee

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Minimize white space. Come up with a much bolder customize typeface.

Keep it up! ;)
LOGOWORX

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you don't have; rather remember that what you have now was once among the things you only hoped for.”

#19 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I think the wings/globe is much better. I think the plane coming around with the line is overdone though. It's used A LOT in the travel industry - at least here in the US.

Personally, I'd skip the futuristic plane - I don't think it is really conveying the message you're wanting it to. To me, it looks like a spacecraft from an old Atari game - which doesn't make me thing of progress...it makes me think of space invaders. :)

Edited by jecrt, 30 April 2009 - 05:58 PM.

• Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Personally, I'd skip the futuristic plane - I don't think it is really conveying the message you're wanting it to. To me, it looks like a spacecraft from an old Atari game - which doesn't make me thing of progress...it makes me thank of space invaders. :)

very nicely put :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users