design exhibition

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

So I finally did it... Started working with 3D; although it's just SketchUp at the moment hehe... I guess the results are pretty good, thanks to VRay. We had a 4 week Exhibition Design project in college for which we needed to create a 3D model of the final thing. SketchUp being the easiest 3D software to learn, I started doing the design in that and came up with the following. :) Bear in mind that I've learnt to use the modelling software + renderer by myself and finished 3 versions of this design in under 2 weeks due to tight deadlines, so go easy heeh...

Have a look at the design at: Exhibition Design: Reformers.. by =Deathdart on deviantART

All comments, critiques and feedback is appreciated! :D

- Abhay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AbhaySingh.in - Graphic Design Portfolio

#2 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Since I only dabble a little in 3d, I think its pretty good from what I can see. Its pretty small so I can't really make out the detail. Try uploading to this thread and make the pictures a little bit bigger.

I have never used sketch up. I use Maxon C4D. I also heard blender is really good to learn too (not to mention also free)

#3 popaganda

popaganda

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

does anyone know about a program similar to sketch up for mac called cheetah??
any opinions?

#4 eienblue25

eienblue25

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

If this is your first attempt at 3d, then I will say that it looks awesome :)
I can do 3d, not good, but my first attempt is not like this
much worse XD

Well, since you said need critics, ^^ I think the gorden is too thin and the wood texture is less exposed.
Only that ^^

Great job bro

#5 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

@eienblue25: Thanks! :) Could you clarify what you mean by 'gorden'?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 paladin884

paladin884

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

Are not bad, keep up the good working!

Good luck!

#7 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Alovesopure777

Alovesopure777

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

I think your 3D models are nice for a program like SketchUp. I actually have never used SketchUp.. but seeing this makes me want to try it!

I like your first couple of a renders. As for your interior shots, I would say that you should try working more with the lighting to make it realistic. Now, I don't know if you rendered those in SketchUp with Vray somehow.. but if you have a 3D program like 3dsmax or blender you can get some really realistic lighting with Vray. Anyways, just trying to be helpful. I like your models and setup!

#9 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:19 AM

@Alovesopure777: I did render it using VRay for Sketchup :) The results aren't as good as the MAX version of course, but at that time I couldn't afford to spend time learning 3DS Max to complete my assignment. It had to be done quickly, so here's how it came out hehe

I have learned some basics of 3dsmax now though, check my portfolio if you'd like to see my new 3D work. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 theredpea

theredpea

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:59 AM

Well I feel I must say that I cannot critique the 3D work really. I have no expertise. My opinion is that it is clean and good.

I am more impressed with the interior design. Insofar as 3D is about good design, I think it is a success! I would like to see this exhibit. Well done!

The Porsche is nice, too, but much less interesting. Only because I've seen so many 3D cars!

#11 igepe

igepe

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

It seems SketchUp is good 3D program to learn. Is it freeware or we have to buy it? Nice and clean 3D images. Good working :p

#12 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:38 AM

@igepe: there are both free and paid versions of Sketchup which are almost the same, but the paid version comes with some extra software.

@theredpea: Thanks! Design was a main objective behind this assignment and the 3D s/w was just a tool to showcase this design. :) The car that I've done is also just a learning assignment, as I had never used the s/w before and thought it would be easy to learn it by copying an existing model.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 DuBain

DuBain

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

Its a good first attempt, I engourage you to delve into blender as its free, also has many aplications of cloth and fluids, that you could apply in the scene, you might get better results for the curtains that way, also you might want to get familiar with many 3D concepts that are know to cimetagrophic industries and videogames.

#14 Mr.Gfx

Mr.Gfx

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

i think that is pretty awesome!...well I haven't tried my hand at 3D yet so no valuable critiques for you :p

#15 colekinsler

colekinsler

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

i havent tried 3D either.. but this seems pretty great for first attempt..

#16 colekinsler

colekinsler

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

i like it! playful!

#17 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

Thanks @ everyone :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

I've looked at it about a dozen times now and think you did an outstanding job exspecially for your first try. The layout was nice and looks to have served it's purpose. I used sketch up a couple years ago then went to Rhino starting w/ their free trial. Unfortunatly I don't have the money for all the additional software(plugins or whatever) for all of it's functions but the CAD work I do with it is nice and serves it's perpose.

#19 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:59 AM

Rhino is more for Industrial Design people IMO; for projects like mine which are done more for presentation purposes, I feel the 3D Studio Max is a better option. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

That is the first reason I got it. to creat metal parts. but after looking at all the different options plug ins or whatever they're called you can do about all the same things as 3d max. like creat models for games or 3d animation and other graphic desig stuff, I just don't have the $$$ to get all the things I want.lol
although I've been really wanting to try out 3d max as I heard it's outstanding.

The additional softwares you can get that works w/ rhino is listed on the site I linked in my other post. have a look at some of the galleries. - graphic design

Edited by Coy, 31 July 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, exhibition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users