Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

community contest note

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

there is a system of notes the moderator/contest holder can give to the entries. there are three of them:
  • ok
  • needs work
  • wrong direction
Offtopic: normally designers are allowed to post only 3 entries to a contest.
The first note means that the entry is good as is and it is basically a candidate to win. It doesn't give the designer an opportunity to post an additional image. The second means that the entry is good but needs some minor modification (like color, or placement of elements) it gives the designer a possibility to upload another image (revision). The third one means that the designer is working in completely wrong direction. That is either he didn't understand the brief or the style he is working in is not what the CH is looking for. It doesn't add a possibility to post a revision.

Obviously those three notes (right direction/needs working/definitely wrong) are temporary. So the question is, no when you understand what they are supposed to mean what wording would you suggest? Something short, but clear. Thanks for your help in advance!

#2 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

I'm pretty sure I understand them . . . Is the CH going to be able to make more comments about the work other than the 3 notes? Also why change the system? It appears to be working pretty well (at least from what I can tell). thx!

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I understand them . . . Is the CH going to be able to make more comments about the work other than the 3 notes? Also why change the system? It appears to be working pretty well (at least from what I can tell). thx!

the system is working well, indeed and there is no need to change it. The question is just in the wording of those three phrases. Do they transmit the messages they are supposed to transmit at 100%?

#4 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

the system is working well, indeed and there is no need to change it. The question is just in the wording of those three phrases. Do they transmit the messages they are supposed to transmit at 100%?

Oh lol. Yeah they definitely come across clear enough

#5 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

they're definitely clear - I think you'll probably get a lot of the second message though.

#6 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

I like them and they are to the point.
The Needs working shouldn't it say Needs Work? just nit picking really.

Possibly if the second choice is posted, maybe possibly add what it lacks or what direction to go into. just a thought.

How many revisions are we allowed?
Since we only have three submitals allowed. are ther only three revisions. or will the revision count towards the three?

had to re-read just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Offtopic: normally designers are allowed to post only 3 entries to a contest.
The first note means that the entry is good as is and it is basically a candidate to win.
It doesn't give the designer an opportunity to post an additional image.

But we can still upload 2 other different designs?

The second means that the entry is good but needs some minor modification (like color, or placement of elements) it gives the designer a possibility to upload another image (revision).

How many revisions are allowed? and can we still submit 2 additional totally different designs?

The third one means that the designer is working in completely wrong direction. That is either he didn't understand the brief or the style he is working in is not what the CH is looking for. It doesn't add a possibility to post a revision.

So 1 entiry is gone and we have 2 more plus some revisions?

sorry just wanting to get any and all possibilities covered.
Thanks

Edited by Coy, 04 May 2009 - 06:09 PM.

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

they're definitely clear - I think you'll probably get a lot of the second message though.

it basically means that the entry is accepted and it's not in a wrong direction. When I put "needs working" it means that it's good but could be better. In the case of "right direction" I either think it's good as it is or I just don't see how it can be improved and I don't want the designer to keep messing around with this design any more :)

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Coy, originally you are allowed to post only 3 images. You can post three different versions of a design or one design + 2 variations or 2 design +1 variation. We don't make any difference. Our policy is to let you choose 3 of your best ideas and post revisions only if the Contest Holder requests them. When contest holder notes entry as "needs work" (need working right now, but will be fixed) it means that he ask you to submit a revision. Your total entry counter gets +1 entry.

But we can still upload 2 other different designs?

if you haven't used them up at this point, yes.

How many revisions are allowed? and can we still submit 2 additional totally different designs?

As I wrote before, you are allowed to submit 3 images (designs or revisions).

So 1 entiry is gone and we have 2 more plus some revisions?

no, revisions count as entries.

I hope I have answered your questions.

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thank you. I was 95% sure that's how it went, but could see a new user come on board and it not be so clear.

Welp looks like my entries are done. lol

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Welp looks like my entries are done. lol

start generating ideas for the next contest ;)

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

There are alot of ideas I've thought of allready posted in the community contest idea thread. :D but I could probably come up with more.

Design a DC mug/beer mug. lol

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

There are alot of ideas I've thought of allready posted in the community contest idea thread. :D but I could probably come up with more.

Design a DC mug/beer mug. lol

it is best if we keep the discussion of the ideas in the community contest forum. just to keep this thread on topic.

• Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

update:
"needs working" is now "needs work"
"right direction" is now simple "ok"
"definitely wrong" is still "definitely wrong" I'd like to change it as I feel it sounds too mean, but I just don't find the right wording.

#14 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

"definitely wrong" is still "definitely wrong" I'd like to change it as I feel it sounds too mean, but I just don't find the right wording.

how about - "have you thought about becoming an accountant"? lol :D

• Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

how about - "have you thought about becoming an accountant"? lol :D

nah, I don't want people to get discouraged. just because they are not that good at the moment doesn't mean that they can't become good designers. It's all about hard work. Of course some people have natural sense of composition and color but it's something you can train. Besides if you are a bad designer doesn't make you a good accountant ;)

#16 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

nah, I don't want people to get discouraged. just because they are not that good at the moment doesn't mean that they can't become good designers. It's all about hard work. Of course some people have natural sense of composition and color but it's something you can train. Besides if you are a bad designer doesn't make you a good accountant ;)

eeeeeaassyy - just joking!!

how about "try a new direction" or "not interested"

#17 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

"have you thought about becoming an accountant"? lol

Now you all know how I became treasurer :D

Instead of "definitely wrong" maybe reword to "try a different direction"?
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

• Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

"try a different direction"?

it sounds really good to me. Except there is this flavour of invitation "try..." it might be taken as an invitation for a revision and this particular note desn not mean that. But I hope designers will understand it.

#19 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

How about,

Just right
Right way
Wrong way
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

How about,

Just right
Right way
Wrong way

which one is an invitation to submit a revision? I don't think it's quite clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users