• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hey,
Here's something I did in an attempt to learn 3D Studio MAX.. It's a big step up from Google Sketchup, but it's quite difficult and time consuming IMHO. So anyway, this would be my first model with 3D Studio :D

Posted Image

Check out the full size at:
Audi TT 3DS Model by =Deathdart on deviantART

You can also get the wallpaper version at:
Audi TT Wallpaper by =Deathdart on deviantART

Here's a wallpaper with the lights turned on:
[url]http://deathdart.deviantart.com/art/Audi-TT-Wallpaper-2-122280225[/url

Modelling:
3D Studio MAX 2009 64-bit

Rendering:
VRay 1.5

Post-processing:
Photoshop CS4

Total project time:
Around 80 hours spread over 6 days

All comments and critiques are appreciated! Also if you know any methods for fixing any of the numerous flaws in the geometry, please let me know. :D

- Abhay

Edited by Deathdart, 13 May 2009 - 02:11 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AbhaySingh.in - Graphic Design Portfolio

#2 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

I never did anything this complex in 3d, so I don't know how hard it was. But for a first try its definetly seems legit.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#3 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thanks a lot! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

max is def. a tough program to use... but very nice!the only texture that seems a little off is the tires. but still its an amazing first attempt!

#5 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

Thanks a lot! Any suggestions for improving the tyres? :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

it's been a looong time since I did any 3d but I know for a fact that there's some great tutorials online. especially for cars. good luck!

#7 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

looks like a great start. There were a couple lines that just looked "off" the left hood line is what really sticks out to me for some reason makes me feel like the it lifts or rises around that area. and something about the front windshield havn't really pin pointed it out. I think it may just be the way the rendering ended up looking and not the actual designing.? I've done a few things in CAD (not 3dmax) and when converting my images to JPG's they just looked off from the CAD renderings. I've never used 3d max so wouldn't exactly know what could cause it. but I had to make a "picture" version altering a few lines and a "true" version w exact measurments.
do you have a full front shot to look at?

#8 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Here' you go :) The front view doesn't really render very well so I've attached a view that's slightly higher than front as well :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

that's a great start...my first attempt was a glas of wine:)
now i have some problems with v-ray...:(
try to focus more on renderings! (3D Studio MAX Tutorials - Tutorialized)
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the thread is featured in the spotlight on the front page of DC.

#11 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

@robert777: Thanks! I'm pretty OK with VRay materials etc., maybe I could help you?

@resurepus: Thanks for the feature! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

I don't know if you can Deathdart...I'm experiencing "tehnical problems between V-ray/Max and Vista...complicated:)...
Have you tried V-ray for SketchUp as well?(just curious about results)

Regards,
Robert
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

Ohk, I don't know about technical problems.. :PI have in fact tried VRay for sketchup and I find that although it gives pretty good results, it is a much slower combination than VRay + Max. Here's something I did with VRay + sketchup -> http://deathdart.dev...rmers-120948019 <- that's my first 3D model ever :p hehe... Done for a college project

Oh btw, @everyone, here's a wallpaper with the lights turned on:
http://deathdart.dev...per-2-122280225

Edited by Deathdart, 13 May 2009 - 02:13 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

I'm impressed...I love the colors and textures that you used on that model, exterior looks a little unfinished:)...my current project is a guesthouse and I'm seriously considering V-ray and SketchUp for this one
what can I say Deathdart...keep on the good work!
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

@robert777
Thanks! The colors/textures are a sort of traditional Indian (Maharashtrian) meets contemporary materials. It's supposed to be a design for a mobile exhibition so it needed to be as simple as possible, hence the plain exterior. :)

Sketchup is really good, quick and easy to use for modeling buildings and structures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

@robert777
Thanks! The colors/textures are a sort of traditional Indian (Maharashtrian) meets contemporary materials. It's supposed to be a design for a mobile exhibition so it needed to be as simple as possible, hence the plain exterior. :)

Sketchup is really good, quick and easy to use for modeling buildings and structures.

I use Cinema 4D.

I have heard it has an easier interface to use than Max or Maya even. I know you are talking about sketchup, what about blender?

If anyone wants to get into 3D and wants to do it legit, Blender is an amazing program that is open source. Comes with even a liquid creator built in.

I Use real flow 4, its an interesting program, a little on the complex side. I have yet to try Blenders.

Deathdart,

How did you go about making the model again? I'm sorry if I must of over read where you said how you made it. Did you use a template or was it images of an Audi TT?

As for your tires, they look pretty realistic, a little dull compared to the rest of the car though, maybe give it a little more spectral light so it gives it a bit of a shine like when you just get a car detailed.

#17 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

@FMD:
SketchUp is the absolute easiest 3D software to use IMHO. It's made mostly for creating houses, buildings etc. and is designed to be very simple to pick up and very quick to use for its purpose. I can say this because it took me hardly 3-4 hours to learn to use all the tools in it properly without any prior experience in 3D and I had designed and modeled 3 different versions of my exhibition using this in 2 weeks, working only a few hours a day. :)

Of course, it's not very powerful if you'd like to create something like a car, but complex models made in SketchUp are not unheard of. Have a look at these:
Metrobus 22 by ~VigStarmax on deviantART
290309 - zombie hunter 2 by ~600v on deviantART
Wall E in Sketchup by `Norke on deviantART

Software like C4D and blender are probably made to compete with 3DS and Maya, so are much more powerful and also take some time and effort to learn.

About the process of making the model, I used blueprints (or rather simple outlines) along with several photos from different angles as references for creating this. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

@FMD:
SketchUp is the absolute easiest 3D software to use IMHO. It's made mostly for creating houses, buildings etc. and is designed to be very simple to pick up and very quick to use for its purpose. I can say this because it took me hardly 3-4 hours to learn to use all the tools in it properly without any prior experience in 3D and I had designed and modeled 3 different versions of my exhibition using this in 2 weeks, working only a few hours a day. :)

Of course, it's not very powerful if you'd like to create something like a car, but complex models made in SketchUp are not unheard of. Have a look at these:
Metrobus 22 by ~VigStarmax on deviantART
290309 - zombie hunter 2 by ~600v on deviantART
Wall E in Sketchup by `Norke on deviantART

Software like C4D and blender are probably made to compete with 3DS and Maya, so are much more powerful and also take some time and effort to learn.

About the process of making the model, I used blueprints (or rather simple outlines) along with several photos from different angles as references for creating this. :)

Very nice, Where did you get blueprints from?

#19 Deathdart

Deathdart

• Designer
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

got the blueprints from suurland.com :) ( www.suurland.com ) They have a lot of other blueprints as well if you're interested in modeling anything, not just cars.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:58 AM

nice car. once i wrapped a tt around a tree. that would be an interesting 3d project...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users