&nsbp;

#1 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hello everyone!

I have just finished my new portfolio (finally! :) ), and i would love to hear your opinions and suggestions regarding it.

The address is www.stoicaovidiu.com .

Regards,
Ovidiu

#2 BurakUeda

BurakUeda

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

You have a very nice portfolio oviska,
But website is too big for my taste. I like minimal/fast websites for individual designers like yourself.

Too much thumbnails makes your website quite slow.

Again, very nice portfolio though :D

#3 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Thank you BurakUeda.

About the performance of the website, on my system it running quite well, and loads very fast. Maybe it's a hosting issue...

Ovidiu

#4 jopp13

jopp13

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hey, it's nice to meet another talented Romanian out here :D
You have a nice portfolio, although I also didn't quite like the number of thumbnails on one page... but that's all about taste, I guess. :)

#5 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hey, it's nice to meet another talented Romanian out here :D
You have a nice portfolio, although I also didn't quite like the number of thumbnails on one page... but that's all about taste, I guess. :)

Hey Jopp13, nice to meet you too! And welcome, i see i had the honour of your first post :D .

Well i must say i do like the idea of having all the thumbnails on a single page, it's easier to navigate in my opinion. As you said it's all about taste ;) .

#6 jopp13

jopp13

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

LOL ... well I don't actually know how I found your thread, but I'm happy I did. You did a great job with those websites you designed. Very clean and sharp.
Congrats on the portfolio! I'm still struggling with mine and hopefully one day I'll finish it. :))

#7 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

Haha doesn't matter. The important thing is that you found it! :D

Thanks for the compliments, and good luck with your portfolio, I'm eager to see some of your work too! ;)

Ovidiu

#8 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

nice site and I personally like the thumbnails the only down fall is that it took a while for them to load on my browser. I read three threads(sorta fast) and replied to one while it uploaded.
The design work is good.
Nice job over all. only suggestion is doing something about the load issue.

#9 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

nice site and I personally like the thumbnails the only down fall is that it took a while for them to load on my browser. I read three threads(sorta fast) and replied to one while it uploaded.
The design work is good.
Nice job over all. only suggestion is doing something about the load issue.

Thank you!

I would like to know if don't mind what kind of internet connection do you have, and how much time did it take (approximately) to load?

It's very strange because on my system it loads(completely) under 3 seconds (i have cleared cache), so it's kinda fast.

Ovidiu

#10 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

I like it!

For me its pretty fast.

Although I dislike italic type welcoming in the header.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#11 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

I like it!

For me its pretty fast.

Although I dislike italic type welcoming in the header.

Thanks!

So in your opinion i should make it unitalic, or drop it completely?

Ovidiu

#12 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Imo you should make it look tidier. You could draw it.

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

Thank you!

I would like to know if don't mind what kind of internet connection do you have, and how much time did it take (approximately) to load?

It's very strange because on my system it loads(completely) under 3 seconds (i have cleared cache), so it's kinda fast.

Ovidiu

T1 I believe/think. work connection and we house over 600 employees so the network is great.
Browser is internet explorer w/ continuous updates.?

I just clicked again and it took about 64 seconds (counting out loud) which was way faster than the first time it loaded which is usually the case when I get a slow load the first time, any time after that it is quicker.. I'll delet my cookies and temp folders and see how long it takes after that. hope that helps you.

#14 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

Imo you should make it look tidier. You could draw it.

Thanks for the idea

#15 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

Ok, I just opened it in IE7 and its really is slow. Though the welcoming text looks pretty good. In FireFox3 (where I sit) it looks not so good.

And I just found a nasty js bug. Try to click on the left arrow.

#16 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

T1 I believe/think. work connection and we house over 600 employees so the network is great.
Browser is internet explorer w/ continuous updates.?

I just clicked again and it took about 64 seconds (counting out loud) which was way faster than the first time it loaded which is usually the case when I get a slow load the first time, any time after that it is quicker.. I'll delet my cookies and temp folders and see how long it takes after that. hope that helps you.

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY!! 64 seconds!?!? Wow! :eek: That's unexplainable... I don't understand. The images that are loaded in the homepage are under 2 Mb, which isn't less, but 2Mb in 64 seconds is just... odd.

Anyway i really appreciate the fact that you actually did take time to count the seconds and monitor it, and for that i'm very grateful! If you ever need help of any sort and i can help don't hesitate to contact me. ;)

Ovidiu

#17 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Ok, I just opened it in IE7 and its really is slow. Though the welcoming text looks pretty good. In FireFox3 (where I sit) it looks not so good.

And I just found a nasty js bug. Try to click on the left arrow.

Thanks for testing the site! :D

How many seconds did it take to load it in IE7 approximately?

The welcoming text looks the same on my Firefox 3.0.10 and IE7.

Also that isn't a js bug. When you are on the first item and click the left arrow it will autoscroll to the last item (which is pretty annoying). I want to change that, but i'm afraid i'm not much of a programmer. :)
I have used a WordPress Theme that i have customized, which came with the js programming.

Thanks again,
Ovidiu

#18 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

OK deleted cookies and files. It took 36 seconds for the top banner to load, then a total of 2 min. 4 seconds for all images to load which still seems quicker than the first time.
hope that helps.?

Edit: also to note that since we do have alot of employees that may also slow the system down if everyone is using the net. I think.. I could try at home tonight if you'd like. Comcast is my provider not sure if they are DSL or something different. just let me know.

Edited by Coy, 20 May 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#19 oviska

oviska

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

OK deleted cookies and files. It took 36 seconds for the top banner to load, then a total of 2 min. 4 seconds for all images to load which still seems quicker than the first time.
hope that helps.?

Edit: also to note that since we do have alot of employees that may also slow the system down if everyone is using the net. I think.. I could try at home tonight if you'd like. Comcast is my provider not sure if they are DSL or something different. just let me know.

Thanks again!

That is a huge, unacceptable loading time. I will ask some friends to see what are the load times on their systems. Until now no one said anything tho.

I would would appreciate if you could try at home too.

Ovidiu

#20 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for testing the site! :D

How many seconds did it take to load it in IE7 approximately?

The welcoming text looks the same on my Firefox 3.0.10 and IE7.

Also that isn't a js bug. When you are on the first item and click the left arrow it will autoscroll to the last item (which is pretty annoying). I want to change that, but i'm afraid i'm not much of a programmer. :)
I have used a WordPress Theme that i have customized, which came with the js programming.

Thanks again,
Ovidiu

Theres no problem really, Right now I'm redesigning my website, so I'm in the mood.

20sec, with cookies 10sec, its not that bad actually - considering IE is the slowest browser.

I get it now, IE7 uses blur.

Well its very fast and I cannot stop it. Imo you should find a way to make it rewind instanteniosly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users