• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

Grrr..... A client sends me this image to vectorize and guess what only wants to pay me $15.00 grrrrr.

Anyone else had clients that want this much work for so dang little bit of money?

The image is to be vectorized for tshirts full color heat transfer. They will not be sold it is all donated ( that what they told me so you never really know)

What would you charge to vectorize something like this?

Sharie

Like us on facebook

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

do they want to entire design, the eagle, all the symbols, everything - for $15!!???!!

that is completely asinine.

I'm not sure what exactly I would charge, depends on whether they are a recurring client, will be sending more work, if they're a friend or relative, etc... but even with all of those factors, it would be at least (at the VERY least) $100. And that's only because it can be traced, doesn't require a unique design or concept, etc.

If they have the money to buy heat transfers and shirts, and then to just give them away, then they have at least a decent budget for this project.

Don't sell yourself short, you are worth WAY more than that! I would wish them the best of luck finding someone else that would be willing to do that!
:) Brandy

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

I have already completed the vectorizing and yes the whole design, eagle and the other patch designs within the design.

I agreed to $50 because it was a charity type thing but geez it was a job. I just wanted to see how bad I ripped myself off LOL

Like us on facebook

#4 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

If they are a part of a non profit organization ask them for their information and you'll do it for free..
When you do your taxes.. WRITE OFF a mininum of $500 for that amount of work.

If they are not and are actually donating it then it's a bit more difficult because they are making no money off it.

How long do you think it'd take you?
If you figure you charge a minimum of around $30 an hour then maybe cut that in half that to be "kind".

But on the out right cost I'd say $200 minimum there is alot of work there to do. Cause I'm sure they don't have any vectors of the millitary logos and thos will all take time to make seperatly. If I were to "bid" on it. I'd be asking for around $400-$500.

take it for what it's worth. That may not help you but its my two cents.

#5 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

looks like you replied while I was writing. LOL

Show us the finished work :D

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

Thought I posted the finished version. It took quite awhile to work up. I have done a better job on vectors but this one was a pain in the rear. I'm not sure if I want to do this again LOL If I do it will be way more than 50 bucks

Sharie

Like us on facebook

#7 tsmith

tsmith

• Designer
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

Great job. I would have charged no less than $250, and that is generous.

#8 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

You made this from that crappy photo? ... Good work! I'm going blind from trying to figure out the fine details here :D How much time did it take?

#9 Guest_cre8ivediff_*

Guest_cre8ivediff_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

Very well done, indeed!

Normal job i would have bid 400-500. but it is charitable and you never know how those events can get your name out there. it looks good for you PR wise to donate time/talent. did they allow you to or did they recognize you somehow for your work? use the image to your advantage to promote yourself.

#10 Brewman2010

Brewman2010

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

You are amazing, Sharie! Great work!! That $15 is an insult. Someone asking me to do it 'pro-bono' for charity would have been fine, but only $15?! After seeing what all you did and the amount of detail you put into it, I would say nothing less than $300 would be fair. I admire you for agreeing to the $50. :)

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

You made this from that crappy photo? ... Good work! I'm going blind from trying to figure out the fine details here :D How much time did it take?

The uploaded photo is very downsized. They sent me a huge, very very large photoso all the details show up, it was just an enormous amount of work. I convert to vector all the time but this one was one of the hardest ones I have done in a long time.

My husband got a little frustrated with me for selling myself short for doing this so cheap but it was for a good cause and they are not selling them (that I know of)

One thing I was glad of was not needing to do any color separations oh boy keeping track of that would have been a nightmare.

Like us on facebook

#12 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

totally AWESOME vectorizing work!!!!!

of course, honestly, $15 is just really super low ... my best bet - would consider Coy's suggestion .... just in case they are truly a non-profit org.

curious tho, how long did it take you to complete the entire work?

very awesome work tho! =D
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#13 ZukiH

ZukiH

Guru

• Designer
  • 1178 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

oh sharie, thats a rly nice work. To bad they dont have a clue how hard is vectorizing this kind of stuff.

$15 = free

i hope u are luckier next time.

cheers

#14 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hi there ...

Sharie: You have done an amazing work here!

I'm not american .. and I am sure I'm not the appropriate person to say this but ... they may think you didn't have to charge even 1 cent to them beacuse of what they represent.
This could be true but .... As well as (I'm sure of that) you show respect for what they are representing ... they should show a little bit of respect back for your work. I could say they also recieve a payment for their job, their military job indeed ......
Don't want to start a polemic thread here, I'm just expressing my self ...
Best regards,
--
jjyepez
PS: Please excuse my grammar mistakes, if any.

#15 HWorks

HWorks

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Of course, that's ridicolous... But it's good for these organization, they often don't have the budget for this kind of work. But you always must do your researches and be sure the money will be really donated.

#16 lamdizain

lamdizain

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

ha ha ha.can see how patient you are

#17 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

I found some mistakes.. You may want to fix them...

J/k

that came out nice and for the price VERY nice..

I think you can still get a tax write off for the rest of the amount you would normally charge. just ask the organization to give you their tax ID #. They have to have on if they are taking money for a "good cause"..

but to be sure I'd talk to your CPA/tax guy.

#18 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

There is a couple of goofs on this one. I didn't upload the fixed one : ) They paid me $30.00. My husband wanted to kick me in the rear but live and learn. I called my accountant. I was advised to get a receipt for the difference of what monies they paid compared to what I would charge.

So guess what they don't have a tax id number. It is a group of people in this town that just got together to do something to remember the fallen. I am waiting for a call back from my accountant again grrrr

Like us on facebook

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

sounds a bit fishy w/o a tax id number but then again they may have just not wanted to mess with the paper work.

IN any case they will need to give the money to someone.. There for if you contact the people you made the design for and request who the money goes to you should be able to use that for the write off.
I don't remember what it was call but my father-in-law did this through the tacoma dome and his business. I think it's like giving money in someones name and that someone can use it as a tax write off???. Again check with your tax advisor as I'm not even close to one, just pretend to be. LOL

#20 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

There is a couple of goofs on this one. I didn't upload the fixed one : ) They paid me $30.00. My husband wanted to kick me in the rear but live and learn. I called my accountant. I was advised to get a receipt for the difference of what monies they paid compared to what I would charge.

So guess what they don't have a tax id number. It is a group of people in this town that just got together to do something to remember the fallen. I am waiting for a call back from my accountant again grrrr

hmmm .... i dunno much about the go-arounds bout taxes either ... hopefully your accountant can advice a work around (as far as the actual price difference is) for the work-logo you did! ...... hmmm .....
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users