Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

The Apple iPad

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Apple has announced much anticipated iPad today. Great news, though I am disappointed. The device is so good that it could be used instead of a laptop, if only they added a possibility to connect USB devices.
You could plug external HDDs, download your photos directly from your camera and what not... but now what you have is just a giant iPhone. I just don't see why we need it if the normal iPhone works just fine.
I understand that for a number of reasons a USB was not possible in this release, but I was really hoping they would show me the device of my dreams today :)

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

I agree with you... it's pretty much a glorified iPod Touch, unless you wait for the 3G release in April (which doesn't need a wi-fi to connect to the internet)... but I still want one!! I'm a sucker for fancy new stuff!
:) Brandy

#3 Justin E

Justin E

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I was disappointed also I was hoping for something a little better. I got a chance to demo a ModBook for a month and was really impressed. It had wacom tech built into it so as an artist it worked awesome. Knowing apple though this product will lead into a better laptop.

#4 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

It's called ..... m a r k e t i n g
The one and only reason why I'm not writing this comment while enjoying the Martian sunset.

#5 udosero

udosero

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

No Flash and no keyboard. I am not impressed.

#6 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

I kinda want one.

No, I really, really want one.

I know everyone is making fun of them, but I LOVE my iPod Touch, and often wish it was bigger... if it's got bluetooth built in, like the iPod Touch does, then you could potentially connect to other devices, I'm going to predict that all kinds of peripherals are going to be developed for this thing, just with bluetooth instead of an actual USB connection. And, that will be pretty awesome, if you ask me!

#7 patrakliski

patrakliski

Banned

• Banned
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

i want one too, and I will buy for a couple of months .... be real Apple iPad will be innovation of the century, I am proud owner of iPod Touch - 2nd generation and I only thinking how good is iPad can you imagine ... btw they will release OS4 at June, July (for iPad late august) did you see what is opportunes of that system (most valuable is speed) - multitasking, grouping apps, sync with your iPod, iPhone and Mac ..... look at review at youtube .... my friend got Nokia N96 - we test it with iPhone its like 5 times more slow than iPhone and who have know that iPod Touch is like 3 times more speed than iPhone ... annoying ha?!
design is all around us ....

#8 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

I am a HUGE mac backer however, I think this was rushed to market too soon, there are too many lacking features. I looks cool, plays cool but I thing I will wait for the real Ipad Touch computer with ability to more then be a glorified book reader.

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#9 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

sigh, this apple craze is truly everlasting, as for me I think I'll go with a netbook, with mac os installed on it, much much better

read tis article

bluetooth instead of an actual USB connection. And, that will be pretty awesome, if you ask me!

bt is a very old technology, usb ain't that fast and it is 10 times faster than bt
what Stevy wants from you here is to download everything from his shops, and so you shall

#10 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Apple stock shares back in 1990. And I agree with DD above, this verion is still lacking several key features that I hope will be in the 2nd or 3rd generation iPad.

I must be patient. :)

#11 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I don't think the point of the iPad is for it to be a fully functioning computer (yet). If it's just a bigger version of my iPod Touch it's cool enough for me, and I know bluetooth isn't new fancy technology, but if it means i can send a picture or a note to a printer, sounds cool to me..

But, also think about other types of computer users... most of us here on DC aren't going to be thrilled by the features of the iPad because we use our computers for so much more than surfing the net or reading emails, but think of a typical user, this thing is perfect for them.

My 13 year old, for example, I spent over $1k buying her a computer, and the only thing she does is instant message, play games and surf the net. I could have spent a third of that money and gotten her an iPad and I wouldn't have to buy her a new keyboard every time she spills soda on it, haha.

#12 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

the crux of the ipad over the netbook is in his considerable portability.
surely the nextgen netbooks will become lighter, thinner and more advanced.
it's hardly made for a typical user since how it is overblown in price.
since in the mayor part it is a matter of preference, the battle between accessibility and presentability on the market will continue.

#13 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Brandy so true, for someone that does not depend on technology for everything in their life the IPAD is an awesome product. I was hoping for more and I am sure Steve Jobs will give it to us soon. This was to test the market and I think he will find the waters just perfect, however he is going to want to get the beach goers lying in the sand using their IBOOK to come into the water.. IT WON'T BE LONG. Brandy really, a 13 y/o daughter its hard to believe. :)

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#14 not2shabby

not2shabby

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Kiddingly I tell my kids that I am still awed by the two-way wrist radio worn by Dick Tracy in the old funny papers. Oh and transistor radios? Who knew what was yet to come ?

QUOTE=resurepus;122546]Apple has announced much anticipated iPad today. Great news, though I am disappointed. The device is so good that it could be used instead of a laptop, if only they added a possibility to connect USB devices.
You could plug external HDDs, download your photos directly from your camera and what not... but now what you have is just a giant iPhone. I just don't see why we need it if the normal iPhone works just fine.
I understand that for a number of reasons a USB was not possible in this release, but I was really hoping they would show me the device of my dreams today :)[/QUOTE]

#15 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Posted Image

#16 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

I rather wait and see what they are going to bring out in august/september cause about then I suspect new Ipods will be released and I will be looking at the new Ipod Touch if that would be something special or not. Cause I would rather have a Ipod touch then a Ipad, depending on size I rahter have the Ipod touch to carry arround than the ipad.

#17 LianeDesigns

LianeDesigns

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Apple stock shares back in 1990. And I agree with DD above, this verion is still lacking several key features that I hope will be in the 2nd or 3rd generation iPad.

I must be patient. :)

Wow. Such an opportunity. I was just being born that time :p

#18 EMkaaY

EMkaaY

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

I'm a bit disapointed :(
When I first heard of the iPad I thought it would be a really cool thing to have.
but now I think it's like a very simple portable pc, with limited possibilities made for housewifes or something.

and: the censorship through apple in the app-store even limits its possibilites a lot more :/

I've got an iPhone and I just love it, but the iPad is not that great as it looks like :/

#19 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

I am wanting to buy the Ipod touch though not really want the iPhone cause I already got a phone that works well and heard the sound from iphone when calling is really bad. Also the iphone is just to expensive and cause I rather phone prepaid cause I dont call that much mostly only have to add like 10 euro in like half a year or less.

#20 Dabbey54

Dabbey54

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

One question because i need help, i want to buy a tablet (wacom bamboo ) but a friend said i should go in for iPad rather, is he right??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users