Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

What do you think of this picture ?

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

my first thought was a lego guy. Not sure I'd call it a sexy fireman though. maybe use some red or other emergency colors.?

#3 lena

lena

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

hm... lose the shadow and try makin' it vector rather then bitmap...
body looks good and rising hand, but the lower hand and face don't suit the whole illustration, and helmet (or hair - i can't tell which is...) needs to be more recognizable. maybe some colors...
like the idea...
thmbs up
every design needs designer

#4 isol

isol

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

"my first thought was a lego guy. Not sure I'd call it a sexy fireman though. maybe use some red or other emergency colors.?"
Coy,

Yes, the 'sexy' point of view was just a joke. For the colors, if you know french firemen, they have only black & white colors on their uniform. But in the background, or by adding a new drawing, why not ?

#5 isol

isol

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Iena (or maybe Lena ?), thanks for the thumbs up. I'm not really sure to understand what you mean by "hm... lose the shadow and try makin' it vector rather then bitmap...
". Could you give me some explanations ?
Thanks,

#6 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Iena (or maybe Lena ?), thanks for the thumbs up. I'm not really sure to understand what you mean by "hm... lose the shadow and try makin' it vector rather then bitmap...
". Could you give me some explanations ?
Thanks,

Lena meant it would look better if u removed the shadow part & if u draw it using a vector based programs such as illustrator or coraldraw..they are not pixel based like bitmap images ..vector designs can remain high quality if ur resize them to larger or smaller
i'm sure there would be alot of other members who can put what i said it better words but i hope that helps alittle:rolleyes:

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#7 crystalh

crystalh

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

I think it is a nice illustration. I didn't know about French firemen and their suit colors! Learned something new today. I agree about it being vectored. Would definitely be more useful in that format. I agree about the shadow too. It almost makes him look like cardboard rather than 3-dimentional if that is what you were going for? What exactly are you going to use this for, anything particular?

#8 isol

isol

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Lena meant it would look better if u removed the shadow part & if u draw it using a vector based programs such as illustrator or coraldraw..they are not pixel based like bitmap images ..vector designs can remain high quality if ur resize them to larger or smaller
i'm sure there would be alot of other members who can put what i said it better words but i hope that helps alittle:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, I will try to do like that next time I use the shadow.

#9 isol

isol

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

I think it is a nice illustration. I didn't know about French firemen and their suit colors! Learned something new today. I agree about it being vectored. Would definitely be more useful in that format. I agree about the shadow too. It almost makes him look like cardboard rather than 3-dimentional if that is what you were going for? What exactly are you going to use this for, anything particular?

Thanks! You guessed what I wanted to do...I just tried to keep an object aspect for this, like paper, or card...

#10 texasthc

texasthc

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

the drop shadow might be a little heavy but other than that it looks really good

#11 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

it's to washed out. The black is just staright black - try tinting it blue at least...and maybe use the highlights/shadows to add some color. The skintone is also a bit washed out...the facial expression could use some brightening, too. Overall - it's just too static, in my opinion.

#12 melatte

melatte

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Heh, jecrt said everything I was about to say as I read through the thread, so I guess just add another tally to each of the points he made.

Also, the white highlighting seems to be all over the place rather than one light source which adds to the confusion of the image.

And I know someone mentioned this already, but the helmet feels.. quite out of place.

#13 logwad

logwad

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

make the face and cheeks either orange monochrome, pinkish/red monochrome, brown/black monochrome, peach/tan monochrome.

personally i would use a MUCH shallower drop shadow, like 1-5px offset. that paper cutout effect will be more apparent.

#14 Clayface

Clayface

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

I think it is a little overdone with the shadows and highlights it looks to much like chrome. I think if you used solid colors for the highlights instead of gradients it might look more like vector art

#15 Ryan Young

Ryan Young

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Its a decent first attempt...unfortunately i couldnt instantly recognise him as a fireman - due to lack of bright colours (think red and yellows??)

google 'fireman' to get a better idea of colour/uniform etc.

#16 mpdesign

mpdesign

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

it is a nice job, but why is he sweating? It looks like he has a water/sweat drop on the right side... makes it look like he is nervous or afraid, and fireman supposed to be fearless.

#17 HMDesigns

HMDesigns

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

I like the image, pretty cool. Can I ask what this image will be used for? I would either remove the drop shadow or maybe lighten it up. I get why you chose the colors, so don't listen to people telling you to change them if you feel your audience will understand.

#18 geaurizki

geaurizki

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Its complicated..but he is innocent man..hehe:D:D

#19 amir

amir

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

you must first make this in a vector program,
Because, the good LOGO must be Simple & Clean and not dependent on shadows or 3D shading...and in a Vector program you have more Quality ...

and for a "sexy fireman" you need Red Color or Red and Black and A fit body for your Fireman.

I hope thaht can help you

#20 BonusNinja

BonusNinja

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

not bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users