• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 candrika

candrika

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hi,
I've been using Adobe Photoshop for 3 years now and I was really satisfied until I found out that employers are searching for designers who use also Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Corel Draw.
I lived in illusion that I can use Photoshop to do everything. I tried to work with Corel and Photoshop together but always when I copy projects from PS to Corel it changes colors. I herd also that Corel is used mostly for creating vectors and other work on project is usually continued in InDesign.
Please give me instructions what kind of projects can be done in each program. I feel totally lost in this matter right now.

#2 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi,
I've been using Adobe Photoshop for 3 years now and I was really satisfied until I found out that employers are searching for designers who use also Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Corel Draw.
I lived in illusion that I can use Photoshop to do everything. I tried to work with Corel and Photoshop together but always when I copy projects from PS to Corel it changes colors. I herd also that Corel is used mostly for creating vectors and other work on project is usually continued in InDesign.
Please give me instructions what kind of projects can be done in each program. I feel totally lost in this matter right now.

Candrika,

Photoshop is a great program but it is not the program for Vector Graphics. I use Illustrator for my vector, however you can also use corel. The reason you are getting colors changes is I would guess that you are not working n the same color management profile. Srgb vs adobe rgb. Or you might even be working in RGB and the Corel is opening it in CMYK. Check and make sure your color profiles match. Like I said I use Illustrator most of the time and sometimes indesign for my vectors. Although I tend to just place my vectors from illustrator in Indesign. If you have Corel that is also fine. I do not know much about it since I have not used it in Many years. Photshop is great for digital painting and photo manipulations, Illustrator and Corel are the design mainstays for vector. I hope this helped you out a bit.

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#3 GoldenZ

GoldenZ

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hello Candrika,

That absolutely what happened with me, I wasn’t a big fan of illustrator since I find myself lost in tools cannot really figure out how to use it, Otherwise I was satisfied with PS, However I start doing brochures in Photoshop, and discovered the Huge file size when I export it to a PDF High-res, and then I start using illustrator. So what basically I do is I start designing in PS first then convert what I’m doing in Illustrator, It’s a hard Job at the beginning because when converting from PS to Illustrator you find yourself lost trying to apply a gradient color u did it in Photoshop with some bevel and emboss from blending options, But you will figure it out by time.

However you can export shapes you designed in Photoshop to illustrator and you even can import vector objects from Illustrator to PS with Smart object tool.

Good luck =)

-Amr

#4 AlottaDots

AlottaDots

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

I was strictly a photoshop person for almost 7 yrs.When i started doing logos i had no option but to start using Illustrator. I hated it at first, but found a few you tube tuts and i learned the Pen tool.

That was the hardest thing for me to learn. But after grasping that over a weeks time i found the other tools easy. They are pretty straight forward. You can always ask here if you have a problem. Im sure any one here will be willing to point you in the right direction.

Dont give up on that Illustrator. It really is an awesome program. Soon you will be starting in Illustrator and exporting to Photoshop to tweak and sharpen the image. Instead of the other way around!

#5 Vu Phon

Vu Phon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

In my opinion, if I work with picture, I use PS. About line, or decorated art, I use AI much. However, before do the work, you need to know the final work will be in vector or bitmap => choose program.

#6 candrika

candrika

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

(...) The reason you are getting colors changes is I would guess that you are not working n the same color management profile. Srgb vs adobe rgb. Or you might even be working in RGB and the Corel is opening it in CMYK. Check and make sure your color profiles match.(...)

Thank you DixielandDesign for your reply

Color management profile was the first thing that I checked. Next I thought that it may be matter of color display options so I saved the same image by PS and Corel to see if they will be the same but still they had different colors shades.
I made decision that now I will use In Design instead of Corel. Especially that Adobe products seems to be more intuitive for me.

#7 candrika

candrika

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

I am really grateful that Dixieland Design, GoldenZ, AlottaDots and Vu Phon shared with me your experience. I’ve found DC as place where designers are willing to help new users. Your advices encouraged me to start using AI and ID as well. Now I am making first steps and learning they options and menu with manuals. And I am sure that soon I will have more questions to ask in here.

Thank you

#8 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

A Lot of great answers there for you candrika.

Which versions are you using just out of interest?
I use CS3 (tight bosses) at my workplace and CS4 at home (a lot of the time can't wait to get home).
I have never used Corel though.

To break down my work on each program:
Ai probably 70%
Ps about 20%
Id about 10%

I do all my Advertising and Logo work on Illustrator. Plus some page work.
I just use Photoshop to colour correct photos. Crop and so forth.
InDesign for all my multi page work.

I find Illustrator the easiest to use (probably because I use it the most).
With Photoshop there is something new to learn everyday. There are so many different processes to get the same outcome.

#9 ideosmil

ideosmil

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Illustrator rules! I'm really enjoy creating logos in AI it's quality are different from other software.

#10 DDayton112

DDayton112

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

I'm with you aset, i totally use illustrator a good chunk of the time. Cool thing is even if you dont know it there are so many free tutorials on the program that if you want to educate yourself, you can! I have learned a ton from those free tutorials, plus it makes logo and vector creation so much easier when ya pick up on the little tricks!

#11 mpdesign

mpdesign

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Other than picture or image manipulation I always start my designs in Illustrator and if need be I export it over to Photoshop to make effects if the design needs them. I find this way I can have vector designs that are scalable for any purpose and can make cool options for colour printing when imported and played with in Photoshop.

#12 J&R2

J&R2

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

for vector Corel + AI both are good, but AI will be more comfortable for PS users...

#13 jedlv

jedlv

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Most of all I use Photoshop & Illustrator but not so often InDesign..

Photoshop in first place because it was the first program i started to learn..

#14 suke

suke

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

AI and PS are my fav "weapons" :)

#15 marlonaire

marlonaire

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

i agree with suke. AI and PS are the best combo.

InDesign is used primarily in magazines, newspapers and other jobs that needs paging and masters.
Illustrator and Corel is the best for logo designers
and Photoshop is the best program for images.

#16 duffydesign

duffydesign

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

I use Photoshop & Illustrator but not so often InDesign..

Photoshop in first place because it was the first program i started to learn.. then i went to Illustrator and now i do mostly everything in Illustrator and will go back and fourth

#17 corto_malteze

corto_malteze

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

my choice
for vectors corel
indesign for multipages and layout
photoshop for images

#18 Rainbowtech

Rainbowtech

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

i am using GIMP and sometimes corel, and Inkscape for vector graphic. pls what do you guys think about this software?

#19 DESIGNKB

DESIGNKB

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

illustrator is and will stay my software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users