• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:49 AM

I'd love to talk about freelance job board sites, and I apologize if this topic has already been covered. Love to know who do you use, who do you like, who do you hate, who's worth and who's not. Guru? Getafreelancer? Scriptlance? Selectadesigner? Love to talk about the pros and cons. I've tried most of them, some with much better luck than others. Haven't made the jump to Guru yet because of the cost, but it looks like the best. Just not sure if I'll get a good enough return on investment. I do like Getafreelancer (GAF), but it's definitely got its pros and cons. HATE scriptlance. Mostly because it's just impossible to get a fair price for quality work. It draws a lot of offshore talent who can bid $5 for an entire 200 page website with ecommerce and database management. Didn't have much luck with selectadesigner. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

#2 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:14 AM

I have had luck with Scriptlance, but have had a recent issue with it.

A client of mine who found me on scriptlance (I did a small project for $30, got paid, everything was set) needed a way to send me money for a second project I did for him ($250 for a website -> he didn't have paypal) so he decided to transfer me money through scriptlance.

Scriptlance decided to take $20 from me though - stating I got overpayed for my original $30 project. I explained everything to them, but they wouldn't budge on the issue, and I still think they are in the wrong. It does not say anywhere in the TOS for scriptlance that a webmaster cannot send payments to a designer - and I think it was wrong of them.

Besides scriptlance, I have never used anything else - I would reccommend checking out http://www.scriptized.com though. It is not yet operational, but it will be soon. I designed this website for a client and I believe it will be launched in september. It is using the same script as scriptlance, so it should work out well :)
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#3 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:25 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. And I really appreciate the tip on the new site. I signed up to be notified when it goes live. Always looking for new ways to promote my services. As far as scriptlance goes, how often do you use it? Pretty regularly or just every now and then when you have some downtime and need to make a few extra bucks? Have you been able to get decent paying jobs off of it? Or do you only do the small dollar jobs? I've had a really hard time finding good projects which paid a fair amount (by that, I mean more than $5 for an entire website or identity package). Also, how do you feel about mock-ups during the bidding process?

#4 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:00 AM

1) I don't do mock ups on scritplance. If they like my portfolio work, they should be able to choose me as a designer.

2) I bid all the time - but I rarely get chosen. So far I have only won 3 bids, but two of those were both $75 and $100, and I should also mention that in all 3 I was not the lowest bidder. It all depends on what the webmaster thinks of your skills.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#5 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

That's definitely encouraging. It seemed to me that it was all about who was the lowest bidder. And I'm finding, at least in the posts I'm reviewing, that you have to mock-up to survive. But I'm with you. That's what portfolios are for. Otherwise, what's the point? So I struggle with it. But I'll keep trying. I'm glad to hear you've had some luck with it and gotten decent bids, even without being the lowest bidder. Thanks for the feedback.

#6 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

www.guru.com is amazing.
I used the creativemoonlighter
that was before it. Well worth it.
The thing pays for itself really fast,
I reccomend.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

#7 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Jak. I appreciate the tip. That's kind of what I was thinking. That, if I wanted to get serious, Guru was the way to go. It's also, unfortunately, one of the most expensive. But I suspect you get what you pay for. And I would think that the cost keeps the "slackers" off and improves the quality of the competition. Also I would think it makes the bids more competitive - no $5 website bids like on scriptlance. Is that the case? Is it hard to win jobs though. Is there a lot of steep competition? Or do you find that it's fairly easy?

I did use creativemoonlighter for a while as well and I really liked it. I was sad to see it go. When it converted to Guru, you could no longer do much of anything for free. With CM, you could get a free membership. Yes, you were limited in what you could bid on, but not nearly to the extent as you are with Guru. And I actually won some decent jobs on CM. I wanted to get some feedback before taking the Guru plunge, and I really appreciate your feedback.

#8 phpdeveloper

phpdeveloper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:23 PM

www.scriptlance.com has been my site of choice for 3 years now. Although the work I do there is not design, but I know it's been getting harder and harder to get chosen there, as the competition is really tight. But my advice to you all is - make more bids, choose smaller projects, try to get as many positive ratings as possible, also be first to put the bid and talk to the webmaster on their forum. This all will help you gain more projects on the long term, and eventually allow to make some significant money.

#9 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

Thanks so much for that great tip. I'll definitely keep giving scriptlance a try. You offer some really good suggestions. I'm glad to know it's not as discouraging as I was beginning to believe it to be. If anyone else has come across anything else they've been happy with, please do let us know.

#10 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:53 AM

I think your best bet is to find design studios that are struggling then offer to do quality work for them. Take a shot at some projects their struggling on and sell your work to them. then you can log in your portfolio that you have worked with other agencies and from there you build your own site. thats how I started. portfolio at http://www.elitegame....com/ATARI.html

#11 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:54 AM

I shoulda mentione dthis but look for template sites that sell templates. thats a great way to get yourself known. I did that with about 4-6 template sites and then people just started comming to me directly rather then going through the template sites. you have many options just be creative when making your move.

#12 jgaylor

jgaylor

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:36 PM

Free pitching is bad for clients and designers. Not all clients understand the value of a good design solution that comes from learning more about the project and building a relationship with the client. All you designers out there...no more free mocks. It hurts the industry.

#13 Dualbase

Dualbase

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

I'm really agree with you jgaylor. The best work is done with a better client relationship like a real project study. But there's not so much clients who are ready to spend the money for this (in comparison of the numbers of designers ready to work for free), furthermore, i'm not really sure they need this. They want fast/standart (common)/cheap things and that's what they have.
(Even if i saw really nice nice templates done that way )
Sometimes ago i couldn't even think that it was possible to see things like a logo with a mention "company name here"...Absolutely terrific for me... how can it be possible? a logo, a drawing that normally should show up the company state of mind/products branch etc...bing! templated. non-sense isn't it?
Unfortunately, there's buyers for these.

But why "unfortunately"?! (auto mutilations :) )
After a bit of thoughts, i think it's not too bad for the "market" cause:
- cheapest prices would give more works (2 cheaps vs. 1 right priced) by creating new customers.
- give a chance to everyone to give a try.
- it forces pros (i mean people who wants to get a descent life with their works) to work harder than ever (okay that means more coffe, more time, more cigarettes, more ... :) ). and then improve global web quality.

There's a lot of pretty templated things done for cheap prices and I'm expecting that the relation between money paid and quality "means" is no more based over performing quality (i don't know if it's the correct word in english, i mean photoshoping etc..) but based over the way it was thought: as unique as the client is (marketing/personalisation, message communication etc...).
It's the main difference between art and craft: art is unique, craft is multiple.
Artist hum! with "nice isn't enough, we have to sell something here!" in mind.

Sorry for the big big digression,
Sorry too for people who feel this text too "common" think but hey, we're a starting business so...a day = a discover ;)

Our little Montreal website design company
Dualbase design

#14 David

David

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:01 AM

Whoa... I didn't know about any these sites except Guru, which I heard of recently. I mainly used WebHostingTalk. I signed up for DevLance but wasn't happy with the results. I have also been visiting eLance for while now and it seems sorta similar to Guru. Actually Devlance is very much similar to Guru but Guru is very widely known.

And also DesignContest :p
Intellix Design Studios
Portfolio: Intellix Design Studios
Current Porject: Global Cricket

#15 derukureetsu

derukureetsu

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:06 AM

Subscribed to http://www.scriptized.com/. Thanks for that.
Also, I agree. Many people do their designs for very cheap, either that, or, entirely for free.
[Sihen Productions - Graphic Designing that...]

#16 barrywh

barrywh

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:15 PM

Design Outpost is another site not mentioned as yet in this thread. Very similar to here as far as the competitions go. Once you apply, you must wait to be "invited" on board as a member of their design team. They are very selective.

http://www.designoutpost.com
:)Barry

#17 Talkfreelance

Talkfreelance

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:52 AM

Designoutpost.com is a great website :)
Freelance design & programming community
www.talkfreelance.com

#18 davegk

davegk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

I've been a member of designoutpost for a couple months and participated in a handful of contests and won a few. It's okay, but I get a lot more work through elance.com (my account on all is the same name as here). I've had success with Elance although it requires a lot of time spent bidding on projects and the fees are pretty high.

-David
+-------------------------------+
David Goldklang
Musician/Graphic Designer
www.davegk.com
+-------------------------------+

#19 DigitalZombie

DigitalZombie

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:57 PM

I've been using Scriplance for a liitle while ... I've won 3 projects (2 were quickies I done for free for Positive Feedback) the other was for $175 for some banner work. I am registered at GAF (that place sucks) ... Registered at Powerlance ... Got a lead on a $700 design job, but I can't reply to the clients private messages, so I don't know what's going over there. I have 10-20 Designers and Coders on board to build a better Freelance site. A place where membership is exclusive to GOOD designers that understand the industry and that 200 page websites with ecommerce, admin, backend, database (like mentioned above) Cost more than $5. I bought the domain and we're brain storming to get the best feasible ideas rounded up and in working manner.

I have been on DesignContest for awhile now ... Haven't been that active lately due to client work, but I plan on being more active and joining the design team ASAP.

#20 mastermesh

mastermesh

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:37 AM

http://www.rentacoder.com isn't bad, but you usually get underbid...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users