&nsbp;

#1 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

So I did the math.
DesignContest's top designer, morabira, has entered 664 times and won 17 times.
If we assume that the average contest is $300 and each design took about 3 hours (which in my opinion is a VERY conservative amount) that averages out to...
$2.56 an hour.
morabira is from Malaysia so maybe that is a living wage there.
Not in the US.

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

I think your calculations are off. To begin with anyone that works as a freelancer knows they can't be paid for time. This is as a whole in freelance industry or any industry that pays by trip (OTR drivers are paid by trip most of the time same goes for independent drivers),, by piece . another thing you are not considering some designs work up fast while others do not. There is know way you can put time as a factor into your equation.

How long do you think it took the lady to design the nike swoosh? I know how long about 1 minute or less, it was a doodle she was playing with. Some take long time to develop while others just fall into place. To put such an erroneous hourly figure is just wrong....I think the time it took you to try to figure this out was time you could have put into creating a logo instead of trying to put something negative on designcontest.com!

Like us on facebook

#3 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

I don't know if you are trying to start a flame war or are just an idiot. I've been freelancing for over a decade and you absolutely budget for time. Have you never written up a proposal? I'm guessing you don't do a lot of writing based on your spelling and punctuation.

#4 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

Also, the Nike 'Swoosh' designed by Carolyn Davidson in 1971 took 17.5 hours, which is a more realistic amount of time a design should take.
If you factor that into the 664 designs and 17 victories that morabira had then the hourly rate drops to...
$.43/hour

Swoosh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Call me an idiot one more time and you will no longer be a member here at designcontest.com

i am not starting some kind of flame just correcting the facts you are listing. A freelancer that has been working in this industry for a long time yeah...they can also pick and choose clients, but designers just starting out with no client base.....no they can't charge or consider time.

What you are not considering in your equation is how long the member has been here and you are not adding in the private contests or one on one projects this designer may have working. A client can hire any designer to work work privately on a project so the exposure a designer receives while being in our top designer list is not in your hourly equation either.

Attacking my spelling and punctuation...you seemed to be able to read and understand my reply with no problem

Like us on facebook

#6 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yes I was able to understand what you were saying. I can also understand a 2 year old when it is hungry or needs it's diaper changed.
I'm going to assume English is not your first language. Either that, or you dropped out of school in the 3rd grade.

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

The swoosh did not take 17 hrs. It was a doodle she had done while working other designs for the company. They agrred to pay her2 bucks an hr, company owner wasn't impressed with with the designs she worked up. He saw the swoosh that she was playing with and chose that. This is according to the nike biography, on the biography channel. She said it took her less than a couple of minutes playing with the doodle swoosh. She sent him a bill for 35 bucks for the time spent on all the designs she was showing him not only the swoosh.

So what is correct? biography channel or is wikipedia not complete with the story

Like us on facebook

#8 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

You are wrong if you think a (good) completed logo design can realistically be done in a few hours.
Consult this chart if you are confused.
http://www.tumblr.co...jwhkkMeX1qzwya5

#9 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

You're also not taking into account that many of those "entries" are just slight revisions (like color change, text change, etc) of an original design. It's VERY common for a designer to create a logo in a few hours, submit it to DC, and then submit several more of the same design with just a slight change.

In my experience as a freelancer creating logos, you give your client a flat rate for the final logo design - sometimes the design will just fall into place quickly and the client is thrilled on your first attempt, other times, you'll spend weeks making multiple revisions to satisfy the client, and in the end both jobs paid the same amount.

Your "$2.56/hour" estimate is way off and is a meaningless figure. And, your personal attacks are very off-putting and immature.
:) Brandy

#10 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

So give me some figures Brandy. Your 8 wins for 167 entries equates to what per hour?
Are you actually making a living wage through Design Contest?
As far as the 'personal attacks' go, sharie was the one who compared being a designer to being a truck driver.

• Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

digsafe, we are not going to give you any "figures". If you apply the same logic, answering ignorant posts like yours takes time and your message is just not worth being answered.

The information is all there. Whether or not you can make a living depends on your skills, the place where you live and a thousand of other factors. Taken into account your communication skills you would definitely not make even $2.6/hour here. Personally I would consider you a higher paid position with minimum wage that doesn't require communication with humans. Loan mover would be just great.

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Oh geez, I think you have a problem understanding what has been written. The comparison was freelance/independant industry, I also used fruit warehouse workers.. piece work and other examples.

I don't recall reading you can make a living here at DC, although some have.

Now...... one more personal attack and you will be banned from designcontest. If you want to behave and act like a professional designer you will have a long stay here at DC. We have many contests right, lets see some of your design work

Like us on facebook

#13 digsafe

digsafe

Banned

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Personally I would consider you a higher paid position with minimum wage that doesn't require communication with humans. Loan mover would be just great.

Sergey, before you rag on my communication skills please take the time to learn how to construct a sentence in English.
And for the love of God take sharie to school with you.

digsafe, we are not going to give you any "figures".

Of course not. That would highlight your own greed and illustrate how poorly compensated your designers are. This site is outsourcing pure and simple. A designer in a 3rd world country will thrive. Sucks for the rest of us. Maybe you're right. I should quit and become a truck driver. They make more money.
FU DC.

• Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

I think we can call this professional orientation session closed. One more happy truck driver out there all thanks to DC ))) Drive safe, my friend! Thriving 3rd world countries and greedy DC admins send you their blessings!

• Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

and you know perfectly well that I wanted to say "I would recommend you to consider, etc" but it seems that you have already considered that ))

#16 anantasteyr

anantasteyr

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:32 AM

wow... what happening here?...

#17 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

I don't take 3 hours for a logo...:)
Let say an average 15 minutes per logo

Edited by morabira, 05 August 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#18 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

Last time, I do freelance at Elance.com, known as LoGolutions...Then in 2006, doing logo contest is my only job. At designoutpost.com at that time, I was known as Eziey there...At that time, doing contest is much better for me:)
Then I join Logoworks until now...Still do contest here and there:) My problem is I'm not able to run from doing logo...it is like my daily meal...I think I'm addicted...hehehe

#19 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

Don't blame me for being a contestant please...

#20 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

"Anyway...It is not the matter how much you get, it is the matter how much are you willing to spend it for anyone around you who are in need..."
: M.B.R. Kennedy

hehehehe

Edited by morabira, 05 August 2011 - 03:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users