• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

Please give direction about finishing my site :) Just be kind guys ok? :)

The url is SSF design and I am just popping it together. The portfolio is lacking due to me losing a bunch of stuff (yes smack me for not backing things up) so excuse that - I am slowly putting things back together. Also some of the flash is just there for the sake of it atm on some pages. You will see what I mean :)

I just don't know in general if it works and what the browser will think - so before I promote it as such can I get some feedback? PLEASE try to be constructive! Thanks :)
Visit my site in progress..... coming soon to SSF Design

#2 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

First I will address the use of whitespace. I think you have a real negative use of it. The spacing does not really direct the eye and give a sense of order and balance. (see pic below).

What I would suggest is perform this test whenever possible to check information flow. Granted there are times that this is not appropriate and organized confusion is what is needed. But this is not one of these cases. Look at most successful sites then draw lines thru it as I have and you will definately see good use of whitespace. Also the use of "swish" on a site in abundance is a big taboo itself. It stands out like a big sore thumb and is not very attractive. Also for this site you would be better served to make this a 100% flash site. The use of various .swf's is usually very counter productive and an overall hinderance if the person does not have the flash player. A stronger logo presence and separation should be used as well. Your logo has equal billing to the title, and the eyes totally over power everything. Even the message. I would design a header and an overall interface to encase everything. Then blend the eyes into the header. I am afraid the site does boast well for your abilities. There are many things you would need to clear up before I would go live with this one. If you have questions, holla and I will see if I can help you out.

Posted Image

#3 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

Thanks any help you would like to give would be appreciated.

I am not overly sonfident in making an entirely flash site and yet do not wish it to be static - any suggestions?

#4 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

A flash site does not have to be static. I just say you should go 100% because as it stands a large portion of it is already. Also you could save yourself precious bandwidth and take advantage of flash compression. I think in a long run you wold be better served with a flash site. And not to mention less browser and css worries. But the main thing is to get the presentation together. I admin another forum, a very big flash and design forum. I recommend hang around over there as well. Some real good helpful folks there. I would post the url but I want to make sure it is okay first. So if you have PM's ask a mod if I can mention other forums here. I can help you here as well. But it is always better to get a bunch of eyes helping. Lots of top-notch designers are there helping folks everyday.

#5 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:49 PM

Okay thanks - I have PM'd belladonna and asked if she would let you know in this thread if that's okay :)

#6 websmythe

websmythe

• Designer
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

Hehe - so, like, How kool is that? The 'U' in 'Unique' looks like a tear. :cool:
Not bad for 25 words or less, eh? :D
<burgers> So many choices, so little time! </pizza>

#7 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:32 PM

The gallery thumbs, when I clicked on them, redirected me to the home page, i couldnt see any of your work.
I'd recommend not using popups, Service Pack 2 on windows XP has an automatic popup blocker in it, so using some javascript to show your work on the same page would be best.

#8 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

In general I think it looks good, but:

- What does SSF mean? I think ou really need to change it so that the meaning of SSF is captured immediately.

- Are the pictures on your homepage what your actual office or workspace looks like? To me they look like something that comes in a business brochure, and not something that should be going on a designers homepage.

- Spacing. You need to work on the spacing between your lines (leading).

In general it looks really good.. but I think you need to capture your true abilities and meaning better.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#9 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:38 AM

Samantha,

I like the use of the eyes you made (I suppose are yours :D). That tells the visitor that you are a human being and not just a name. I also like the simplicity of the flash used that gives the idea of subtile motion. The white space plus the use of the eyes give a sense heaven I like, it's calm, relaxing, love the blue. I like the complexity of the texts yet at some level stucks the reading mechanism.

The main problem I see is that you have too many links and none of them is enhanced as important so it won't guide the visitors attention to the ones you might want him/her to push. Remember that you are the host so you are the one that will guide him. Simplify the buttons, risk to be more creative, like you did on the rest. Flash is good but it's better to start with html to pulish your skills at graphics and then move to animation.

If this is your portfolio give more importance to your jobs (they are your creations and you are proud to show them so don't be afraid). If you are looking more to sell a service then enhance the packages with the prices (you don't need to spend 2 links on the same issue).

Eventhough I like the white in your site try to give a support to the content. Create a system (lines, colours, shapes, etc.) that allows you to guide the eyes of the customer step by step. Simplicity is always good if it is effective and is effective when the result was previously conceived by you. If the posible customer enters your site and goes where you want him to go, that is a good site. If not it's not a big deal, just ask yourself what do you want from your site, what's the use of it, what would affect you if you where the customer. Put yourself in the place of a company that wants to hire a good designer for a job. How do you want that customer to be. Then simply follow the steps he would like to follow to find the best candidate and you will be ok.

Also as an advice take a look at every site in the web, every portfolio you can put your eyes onto. Go to templatemonster.com to see with your own eyes the power of the creativity in motion, there you will find great talents at work, great art being shown and remember that the key to a good website is always the simplicity of your guidance.

:D
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#10 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:19 AM

A flash site does not have to be static. I just say you should go 100% because as it stands a large portion of it is already. Also you could save yourself precious bandwidth and take advantage of flash compression. I think in a long run you wold be better served with a flash site. And not to mention less browser and css worries. But the main thing is to get the presentation together. I admin another forum, a very big flash and design forum. I recommend hang around over there as well. Some real good helpful folks there. I would post the url but I want to make sure it is okay first. So if you have PM's ask a mod if I can mention other forums here. I can help you here as well. But it is always better to get a bunch of eyes helping. Lots of top-notch designers are there helping folks everyday.

Hi - if you want to email me the link then that is okay - [email protected]

#11 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:19 AM

Hehe - so, like, How kool is that? The 'U' in 'Unique' looks like a tear. :cool:
Not bad for 25 words or less, eh? :D

Hey I'd not noticed that.... is that, like, a good thing?!!

#12 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:21 AM

The gallery thumbs, when I clicked on them, redirected me to the home page, i couldnt see any of your work.
I'd recommend not using popups, Service Pack 2 on windows XP has an automatic popup blocker in it, so using some javascript to show your work on the same page would be best.

Didn't realise about the Service Pack 2 on windows XP issues. Just look better than a whole new window imo - would a scroll-through gallery be better in your opinion or would you suggest something else?

#13 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:24 AM

Hi - if you want to email me the link then that is okay - [email protected]

You have mail...Look forward to seeing you over there.

#14 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:26 AM

In general I think it looks good, but:

- What does SSF mean? I think ou really need to change it so that the meaning of SSF is captured immediately.

- Are the pictures on your homepage what your actual office or workspace looks like? To me they look like something that comes in a business brochure, and not something that should be going on a designers homepage.

- Spacing. You need to work on the spacing between your lines (leading).

In general it looks really good.. but I think you need to capture your true abilities and meaning better.

Fair point.

SSF is actually just my initials - my name is Samantha-Sophia Felton
:rolleyes: So I'm not sure I can capture the meaning of that if you know what I mean. The thought of a cheesy piccy of me ANYWHERE on site is a little cringeworthy, would it be better if the SSF were kind of explained in the welcome message?

The pics on the front page are because something should be there but I am not sure what so I was playing about with some ideas just with stock pictures. Thing is if I take pictures of my actual surroundings it will look very similar ... so would you suggest a graphic there instead or something else?

Any more input as to how you see it would be greatly appreciated :)

#15 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:29 AM

Samantha,

I like the use of the eyes you made (I suppose are yours :D). That tells the visitor that you are a human being and not just a name. I also like the simplicity of the flash used that gives the idea of subtile motion. The white space plus the use of the eyes give a sense heaven I like, it's calm, relaxing, love the blue. I like the complexity of the texts yet at some level stucks the reading mechanism.

The main problem I see is that you have too many links and none of them is enhanced as important so it won't guide the visitors attention to the ones you might want him/her to push. Remember that you are the host so you are the one that will guide him. Simplify the buttons, risk to be more creative, like you did on the rest. Flash is good but it's better to start with html to pulish your skills at graphics and then move to animation.

If this is your portfolio give more importance to your jobs (they are your creations and you are proud to show them so don't be afraid). If you are looking more to sell a service then enhance the packages with the prices (you don't need to spend 2 links on the same issue).

Eventhough I like the white in your site try to give a support to the content. Create a system (lines, colours, shapes, etc.) that allows you to guide the eyes of the customer step by step. Simplicity is always good if it is effective and is effective when the result was previously conceived by you. If the posible customer enters your site and goes where you want him to go, that is a good site. If not it's not a big deal, just ask yourself what do you want from your site, what's the use of it, what would affect you if you where the customer. Put yourself in the place of a company that wants to hire a good designer for a job. How do you want that customer to be. Then simply follow the steps he would like to follow to find the best candidate and you will be ok.

Also as an advice take a look at every site in the web, every portfolio you can put your eyes onto. Go to templatemonster.com to see with your own eyes the power of the creativity in motion, there you will find great talents at work, great art being shown and remember that the key to a good website is always the simplicity of your guidance.

Thanks for your advice. I shall try to take this into account and I hope for more input after I have had a chance to change a few things. Thanks so much for being so constructive. I'm kind of bowled over by how helpful people are on this forum :)

#16 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:11 PM

I have been playing and toying with the idea of stripping down the layout - anyone care to give me feedback on this?

Posted Image

It has a simple flash logo but the buttons are just gfx. Anyone like? Still unsure of how to jazz up the front page content tho :(

#17 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

that is much better use of white space....much better. It actually directs the eye now. I think there are waaay too many links on the side. Maybe use a drop down system or sub-links. Graphically it is still not doing it for me. Maybe cruis thru styleboost or coolhomepages to get some inspiration as to what other designers are doing. If I have time I may whip up a lil sample for you.

#18 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

I can do a coloured drop down box or have some kind of scripted menu... just a thought though will the blue/white gradient not look stark with nothing there?

If you have time for any examples that would be fab - thanks :)

#19 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

Samantha,

I don't know if only 1 of the eyes catches my attention as the 2 of them. The site is more ordered now yet it has lost some of the originality of your vision. Try to create subjective divisions instead of lines (colours, shapes) that will give the visitor a more subtle guide. Also on the menu, is still necesary to keep so many links ? Try to pick the ones you think are necesary and see the way to simplify the contents to fit less categories. And I don't know if the entire menues wrote in that font will be usefull for the eye guidance. What I loved from your previous design is that the blue was an enhancement of the yes and a guidance too, now the blue is not subtle anymore and for that you lose the attention to the eyes and turn it into a basic template. Start over again, close your eyes, fix your vision into the feeling you want your visitors to have, let the eyes be the first step and follow mentally the next one. Design is not always the structure use of techniques but also the intuitive conception of new techniques. Sometimes it's better to be original than ordered and sometimes not. Find your goal, what do you want them to feel, to see, to click ?...
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#20 creatifex

creatifex

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:48 AM

Hey SS - All I suggest is that maybe a change of font for your name, and the different page titles.. At first glance I thought the name said.. IIF Design .. and dont get me wrong, the font is cool.. but it doesnt seem really professional and some people may have trouble reading it. :) And I agree with the others about the spacing - just adding like a small line seperating the content would make it look more put together..
Those are my comments!
Robin :: creatifex designs
http://www.creatifex.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users