• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 firefly

firefly

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

I just have to say that this is one very interesting discussion. It is hard for a freelancer that is just starting out to get clients and charge $1000's. I should know...I'm just starting out. You need a portfolio before you can start doing anything and charging for it. DC is a great opportunity to do just that. You are building your portfolio with designs, but they aren't just for made up companies. They are real! And hey...maybe you'll get some money! I personally think it is great for people just starting out. That's why I'm here!

• Guests

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for your comments, firefly! It makes you absolutely the person DC is build for!

#23 MVA

MVA

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

Can I chime in here...I just saw this thread. I'm a little miffed, but at the same time, I understand the argument Nocturn is making. Here's my take on it:

Firstly, I don't think DC is swimming in the same pond as the professional designers/design houses. The contest holders here wouldn't hire a large firm or professional person for many reasons. I don't see any competition between our "ponds" - yet.

I think it's crazy to say you can just up and set a minimum fee per contest of the magnitude suitable to make a living. LOL. That is just nonsense. Any minimums would need to match the "market value" in our "pond" - and it sounds like maybe it does - at this point in time.

Now, continuing that thought, I do think, as the popularity of DC grows, that the minimums can be raised, or said another way, the "market value" of what we do will increase to the point that we can raise them. I think we've seen this just recently. This is after all a marketplace, driven by the forces of economics.

Now, my situation: I do not do this for a living. This thread is entitled "How do you survive?", which hints at a bad assumption right away. I happen to be a practicing Professional Land Development Engineer in the US. DC/Graphic design is for me a hobby. The fact is there is a niche market out there for hobbyists like myself. Believe me, I'd charge big $$$$ if I could, but that is just not the market for hobbyists. As to software, not anyone's business, but I can tell you that I don't need to earn large graphics fees to purchase the software - but that's just my circumstance - I'm perhaps unique.

For someone in thier ivory tower to look down upon DC and declare that we are somehow hurting the graphics design economy is silly and laughable. I hope the "big firm" clients do start leaving the big pond and swimming our way...

That's my $0.02.
J. Perry McCutcheon
Freelance Graphic Designer
http://www.perrymc.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users