Please number contests!

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 schwede9

schwede9

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

I think it would make designcontest.com much easier to navigate if the contests were numbered. Chronologically would make the most sense to me. That way, if you are referring someone to a contest (which I do sometimes), you can point them directly to its standing in the list. Combined with sortable columns, this would make navigating the site (which I think is actually rather challenging at the present) much easier.

#2 ShiftingBlue

ShiftingBlue

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

I think this is a solid idea. Maybe several ways to sort the contest list?

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Do you have an example? How would numbering the contests help you?

Like us on facebook

#4 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

1. Yes, numbered contests, sortable columns, the date contest started/closed, CH's performance (some kind of percentage criteria on how many times he rated and commented the designs, last time he logged in), so we know wether he/she interested, serious about the project, etc etc. – all these are must have features. It will help us to monitor the contests you trying to hide from us when they are already closed :) Some contest stay in closed mode for 3-6 months, their status is unknown. It's a mess.

2. Moreover we need logs of all contests we participated (not only current contests entered) in designer's account, so we can quickly find the problematic contest/entry.

3. Blind contests are a nightmare. Navigation through the comments is impossible. Some comments are visible to all. Before designer enters the contest he sees CH's public comments, after that we see some mixed comments without any logic of permissions. The comment system WITHIN A BLIND contest should be PUBLIC AND PRIVATE (between CH and Designer and Mods), so if CH discusses some design elements nobody can realize what concept is discussed. After Contest ends all comments should became visible for all.

4. And we NEED a withdraw button. Not having a withdraw feature is a silliest thing I've ever seen on such type of services. We OWN our designs before they nominated as winning designs. If CH changes his mind, brief, attitude, goals or... i don't know.. could be thousands of reasons... we need this option in order to use our mockups somewhere else possibly...

#5 asti

asti

• Designer
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

agree #4 it's a must. Also helps to keep a clean portfolio, or maybe i want to recycle a design. I don't understand why it should stay there a month ?

#6 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Mods don't want the clients to see boxes with a withdrawn sign :) Mods should use a portfolio page for the clients with a winning designs and the option to see the entire contests (so what if they see they withdrawn sign, after contest is already finished)

#7 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

And imagine the problems I mentioned above are applicable for the website design contests. Usually designers spend far more time designing pages and UIs, sometimes it could be several days and even weeks. Feel the difference? Of course web designer wants to see some CH's progress, feedbacks, comments, and wants to recycle designs sometimes...

#8 lperwas

lperwas

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

I don't quite see why numbered contests would be helpful but definitely sortable columns! Also, other sites have ratings for contests showing how involved the CH is (number of comments, percent of designs rated, etc.) Yes, you can see how many comments are made when you go to a contest, but that number includes all the comments made by designers. I think having a system in place to show the involvement of the CH would help encourage clients to be more active.

#9 Jera

Jera

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

I think also we need this kind of numbering stuff.

#10 schwede9

schwede9

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I agree with everything people have said heretofore. As a follow up to my original post: my thought was that having an id number would give people the chance to immediately know where to scroll in the list. For instance, I've had entries in contests that closed a month or so ago, and finding that specific contest page (since they're not always named for the company and are sorted by time remaining or their arbitrary place in the list) is a real challenge. Sortable lists would go a long way to fix this.

Another idea:

Add a mandatory column for organization or company name. This would at least make it possible for me to scan the list for the name of the organization I'm designing for (ex: Handbags Unlimited), not just the arbitrary and often unrelated "title" of the contest (ex: luxury handbag partnership). It's nearly impossible to find the latter weeks after the fact.

#11 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Can we at least get a withdrawal option for the designs which have been eliminated by CH? What's the point to keep them for a month?

#12 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would like to withdraw some right away (both eliminated & rated), while the contest is still on... I admit, out of revolt. Loosing over copycats upset me a lot.
At the end, I believe it is my (our) right to do anything I want with my creation. Until I sell it, it is my property.
So, it would be reasonable to have such option.

Can anyone remind me, what is the reason we don't have that option???

#13 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

xoxo

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Guys Our rules allow you to withdraw your designs 1 month after the contest has closed. This is not going to change and has always been this way. If you sell the design before one month we will be more than happy to remove the design for you. What does it hurt for the design to remain there if it has not been sold? it is a "good" thing for you a client might see this like and want to buy it, please how is this a bad thing for you? We have had MANY clients new and return open one on one projects wanting to buy a design they viewed in a contest.... Are you guys NOT wanting to make money?

Like us on facebook

#15 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

The main reason is that other contest websites have policies not to use same designs elsewere during the contests. Simple.

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

"The main reason is that other contest websites have policies not to use same designs elsewere during the contests. Simple."

you are not allowed to use the same design in more than one open contest here either...... how does numbering help solve this issue if someone use the same design in several open contests?

Like us on facebook

#17 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sharie, have you read your previous post in this thread? I am talking about the withdraw option at least for eliminated designs.

#18 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Eximius the rule about withdrawing "will not" change, you can withdraw your entries 1 month after the contest has closed. If you need an entry to be removed to enter another contest you can come to live chat or send us a help ticket, we are more than happy to remove an entry for you so it can go in another contest

Like us on facebook

#19 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Absolutely you got the point.
That is the main reason why I withdraw my designs and leave only those that can't be usable.
I witnessed the other day CH respond to designer he didn't want already used same design... btw both contests were open in the same time. Skipping that issue with the 2 open contest, there is psychological moment if client sees it... it is like, when you are buying shoes, clothing, an device, whatever, someone obviously wore it and refunded or exchange it, it is still new, nothing is wrong, still under warranty, but you don't like idea of buying that. :)

#20 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sharie, I saw 2 designers did that the other day. One contest was blind, and it was visible after closing. Another contest was fresh closed at the moment but didn't pick a winner yet (later on, designer got bronze medal for it). Still, I reported it on time, but none of those were removed.
I didn't report the other designer due to mentioned above.
What do you think of that?

Edited by Babba, 13 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users