• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 DesktopDesigns

DesktopDesigns

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

One of the most common questions asked by CorelDRAW users is how to use the Corel OCR-TRACE utility to convert bitmap artwork into vector artwork. The simple answer is to avoid OCR-TRACE. This article will teach you the easiest way even though you might think it is not. These instructions should work in CorelDRAW 3 through CorelDRAW X4.

Part of the problem with tracing bitmaps is the quality of the original artwork. Our clients don't seem to understand that the quality of the finished product is highly dependent on the quality of the artwork that we receive. So it is your job as the artist to explain this to the client. Show them examples of good artwork and bad artwork. Explain how good artwork can save you time and thus save money for the client. And while they are saving money, they will also receive higher quality. This applies no matter what method you will be using to convert their artwork from a bitmap to a vector.

But we all know that clients just love to hand us a business card from which we are to extract their logo. So I looked over my desk and found a business card with a logo that was quite small and scanned it in so that I'm working with something similar to what you might have. In my case, it is an ARA business card and we'll recreate the ARA logo.

Note: For those who aren't familiar with the ARA, they are an organization that deals with the awards and promotional products. A large majority of their members are also CorelDRAW users.

#2 LevelOne

LevelOne

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I prefer to "fix" the low quality images using a draw program, smooting the jagged edges and convert it to BW or grey values, after I use the trancing tool from the menu in Corel X5 chosing BW. Normaly I get good results.

#3 popdan

popdan

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

i use quicktrace option on bitmaps,but sometimes it loses quality :/

#4 NewAge

NewAge

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

guys we have to understand that we will never get original like results through TRACE.....yet it is a very powerful and helping tool....i use it very frequently! specially for black and whit illustrations.

#5 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Depending on the complexity of the original thing I preffer using a combination of trace and manual work. It produces the best results.

#6 mofya

mofya

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Quick trace works well for most black and white images but in most cases, you will need to do some redrawing or adjustment of the vector handles. Overall, its a useful tool.

#7 miharu

miharu

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Right ... but if you handle less ин Photoshop, it can also be used directly ... :)

#8 AvramB

AvramB

• Designer
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Trace tool ,in my opinion, is one unprofessional way for resolving bitmap to vector conversion. It can be helpful only with very simple bitmaps
with less details and very good contrast.You can set up contrast manually but if bitmap is complex even good quality images are bad in conversion.Trace options have a few modes , some of them , like a trace-high quality image or trace-detailed logo is almost unusable. Everyone who want to create good design shouldn't take hope in help of this option.

#9 friendnand

friendnand

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

trace tool is good if you use it with your artworks that details is not really involved :)

#10 mazyo2x

mazyo2x

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

I never use auto trace, the result is not good. Sometimes if you want to get better result you need to allow more time to work. Result is everything.

#11 ochaTheAngel

ochaTheAngel

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

if i want to use an image to be my black background, i convert it to be a black and white bitmap first

#12 colodesign

colodesign

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

idk

#13 aur3lDESIGN

aur3lDESIGN

• Designer
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

good post.. I like it :)