Posted Image

#82 Magic Pixel

Magic Pixel

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

I hope I'm not bothering you guys with so many ideas..

#83 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:51 AM

Magic Pixel: - Never be sorry for having ideas and do something with them.
It's positive ;) Last card is nice, but I think the words on the left are to chaotic now.
Make more a pattern in it.
Try to do something with the logo on your site. However I recommend you delete the outlines. Well, in some parts the line is cool. but other parts it just looks silly I think.

s_onestyle - nice card. Simple. I'd try some variations in fonts especially for the upper parts and "freelance designer". Personally I don't like it if 4 fonts are used on a document of 85mm x 55mm. I guess that the gray part of your design is just nice for show, but isn't coming on the card itself?

Kio - Love the colors. However I love grayscale too, this just "does it".
Do think what you want to do with your logo. It's a nice logo, but you can't keep rotating it everyway you want. logo is a logo, you don't transform it.
(Talking like my teacher did yesterday, cause I used to do it too :D).
If you choose a steady logo direction, hope the colored cards still keep awesome.
I'd say choose for the colored ones, they just jump out more. The gray is cool, and the seperation of your name is original too. Good card, but maybe the full name on a side is better too.

My visions.

#84 nikosono

nikosono

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

- True about colored Kio's second post : "they just jump out more"

- About playing with the logo, I don't really agree as long as there's at least one place where the logo appears normally. After all, we are the first (the best?) people to know what we are doing with a logo on a graphic layout.

- Talking about dark(black) background, I've read in a magazine that if you want to create a nicer black layer (before giving your copy to a printer), it's nice to mix 60% cyan, 40% magenta, 40% yellow and 100% black. it gives a darker and richer black.

cheers,
nikosono

#85 artistsneverdie

artistsneverdie

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

Slightly off topic but in response to the previous post, the article you've read is correct, true black (or rich black) is not 100% Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black but::

Cyan 63%
Magenta 52%
Yellow %51
Black 100%

:)
stylised|design imperialism
http://www.designisruin.com
band design | corporate identity | web | print

#86 Cold Coffee

Cold Coffee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

- Talking about dark(black) background, I've read in a magazine that if you want to create a nicer black layer (before giving your copy to a printer), it's nice to mix 60% cyan, 40% magenta, 40% yellow and 100% black. it gives a darker and richer black.

Very true!!! I use 100% K and 50% M but printers (specially for magazines...) will not be happy with you!!! Ha ha... and I can know... oh god can I know... ha ha... I've never met more "cheap-peeps" ever before... but ask your printer what black they use... There's a black on the market that does cost more but is allready rich black... so you don't need to add other cmyk colours!!! They use it specially for covers of magazines, cards etc...
Still busy designing my life and the world around me :D
Cold Coffee

#87 Mith

Mith

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

TO THE SPONSORS***
Any comments on mine?

#88 PhilJette

PhilJette

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hi all,
first post here, this looks like a great place. I would love to get on the design team :) Here is my card:

Posted Image

#89 artistsneverdie

artistsneverdie

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

I think we'd all like to be on the design team PhilJette :D
stylised|design imperialism
http://www.designisruin.com
band design | corporate identity | web | print

#90 PhilJette

PhilJette

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:07 PM

Yeah I guess that was a pretty useless comment :D

#91 PlexiHosting

PlexiHosting

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

TO THE SPONSORS***
Any comments on mine?

Sorry about that! Thought I had commented on yours (aside from the initial size). I really like the colors and the border works very well. Nice job "breaking the lines" a little bit with the orange shapes that are on and/or around the border. Overall, great design - so again I'm not just for the dark ones. Yours is bright, clean and very effective.
Plexi Hosting - Win an iPod Shuffle (1 in EVERY 23 signups wins)! E-mail me for details or see the 6/8/2005 community contest for details! Also, free gift cards! 100% uptime YTD!

#92 PlexiHosting

PlexiHosting

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

s_onestyle: Nice job. That is very clean. The curves are very nice and soothing. I don't think the text up top is as readable as it could be though.

Magic Pixel: Yet another great entry, but I agree with the comment about the text.

PhilJette: I really really like the green and black and the card overall but I have difficulty reading the tag line and your contact info.

Did I miss anybody? If so let me know - I surely didn't leave anybody out intentionally!

Edit: I did miss AceD - Nice job, I like the "glow" and color of the text. I think the contact info text could be a bit bigger but maybe I'm just getting old! :)
Plexi Hosting - Win an iPod Shuffle (1 in EVERY 23 signups wins)! E-mail me for details or see the 6/8/2005 community contest for details! Also, free gift cards! 100% uptime YTD!

#93 iDesigner

iDesigner

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

How was my design?

:D

#94 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:29 PM

PhilJette - like your design, though try to add more too it to make it more "special" without making it too busy. Hard thing maybe. But it looks good as it is, but somehow it's not special enough to entertain me... :) but good in my vision.

to PlexiHosting. Hadn't had any critics on mine yet, but don't mind too much.
I'm just getting up my portfolio and trying to get myself promoted on line.
Not specially into winning this contest, more into showing everyone my abilities and get more experience. This was a nice possibility to try and design a biz card.

cya (bars were nice this night! woohoo!)

#95 PhilJette

PhilJette

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I updated my design, so please check it above and tell me what ya think.

@WickedMind - Thanks, I'll see what I can do :)

#96 PlexiHosting

PlexiHosting

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:56 AM

How was my design?

:D

The second revision was great and more readable, I still think you need to find a way to get card stock with an embossed pattern like that - would be very cool.

#97 lemieuxster

lemieuxster

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:59 AM

maybe one day i will learn that effort and hard work are esential to create art.

not today though.

Posted Image

i've enjoyed the previous entries and i'm looking forward to seeing any more that come along.

p.s. please don't call me.... late for dinner!
» lemieuxster , wasting time collecting stamps.

#98 nikosono

nikosono

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:51 AM

Could work if you are into a specific branch of graphic design industry like kid's book publishing or that kind of stuff.
Anyway, I like the idea. Also went through you website and I think your " control your mind" idea is very good. Maybe you can try to use this idea for your card... ;)

#99 nardex

nardex

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:22 AM

hi guys..i have come up with another design..i would like to hear your
comments on this :) , thank you in advance..i've learned a lot from this contest.

Posted Image

#100 nmc designs

nmc designs

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:22 AM

Plexihosting
what comments do you have on mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users