Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:41 AM

Cleared.

#2 turn

turn

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

cool,in your gallery section is it only one work per catagory or am i just missing the navigation ?

#3 4TripleDesignz

4TripleDesignz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

Nice Like The Flash logo In The Middle :)

#4 LoriL1212

LoriL1212

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:53 AM

Your header breaks in Firefox very badly at 1280x7024.

Very dark. Not really sure of the need for the center flash...

TIP: Design for 800x600 and allow for your interface to expand... Therefore be "elastic". You will find better results in that.

Good Luck.
Lori @ Zenful Creations
What is YOUR internet business reputation?
Check my iKarma

#5 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:14 AM

Cleared.

#6 LoriL1212

LoriL1212

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

And I'd love to know how to design in elastic bro.

LOL, I am not a "bro"... I am a female :)

ELASTIC WIDTH DESIGN WITH CSS:

http://www.alistapar...ticles/elastic/
http://www.htmldog.c...ticdesign/demo/
http://www.456bereas..._width_elastic/
http://www.autisticc...-liquid-elastic

... that should get you started :)
Lori @ Zenful Creations
What is YOUR internet business reputation?
Check my iKarma

#7 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

Cleared.

#8 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

i really like the top collage, especially the left half with all the light and whatnot. i am not, however, a fan of the top and bottom menu bars.. the textured look just doesn't fit, especially since they are so cut off on the sides. personally, i like appearance of the smaller bars you used in the gallery.. maybe try something in that style?

all in all, it is just a matter of taste.

#9 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:55 PM

Cleared.

#10 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Cleared.

#11 ep2002

ep2002

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:19 AM

I liked the eye on the homepage, but it was a bit too big IMO. Also after a few minutes the moving around teed me off, so maybe you can have it stop after a minute.

I liked your pic on the bio page. Very creative, but once again, I'd stop the noise from the lightbulb after a minute or two.

Good luck with it :)

Michelle

#12 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

Ok here it goes:

First, I have to ask, what is the purpose of your website? I see a giant eye that has no real function, and although I admit it looks cool, why is it there? I also see some basic information about you, a list of things you can do, and a few pieces of your work, which brings me to my next question...

Who is your audience? If you are trying to attract new clients, you have no information on the site to entice them. I don't see anywhere that says what you do, how you do it, and approximately how much it will cost. Your portfolio is also very hard to navigate, and confusing (the buttons says Logos but there is only one Logo to view).

And my final suggestion is make sure your site validates with W3C standards! If you want to be involved in web design (especially if you are doing it for others) you should be learning about creating standards compliant websites.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh... I just don't want to pat you on the back and say "good job" if I don't think your work is perfect. Nobody ever gets better that way.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#13 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

Cleared.

#14 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

Not harsh. Don't worry. But I disagree on a number of things. No one's work is ever perfect. Especially when this genre of work is based solely on opinion. I know artist who consider picasso's work crap.

Exactly - and that's why I didn't just say "good job" :D

In design, there should always be a clear purpose for everything. What are you going to say when a client wants to know why you chose to use red instead of green? Just because you wanted to? it doesn't work that way when you get into the big leagues of design. We need to show how and WHY we did our tricks.

Putting a giant eye into a design website because it looks cool doesn't "wow" me either, it turns me away because it tells me you know nothing about usability and architecture of a website.

My original questions were all based off a principle that every design should have a clear: purpose, target audience, context and content. Being able to define those three things easily and explain them to a client means that you have a successful design on your hands.

Since you ARE involved in web design, you should be using CSS layouts rather than tables and following W3C standards thoroughly. If you truly are making money, it would be nice to see your work added to your portfolio.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#15 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Cleared.

#16 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

after reading the discussion between you and neupix, and a second look at your website, i feel a little guilty about my last reply.. i should have looked at your whole website instead of just the front page. that said, there is one key point in neupix's argument that i have to agree with.

My original questions were all based off a principle that every design should have a clear: purpose, target audience, context and content. Being able to define those three things easily and explain them to a client means that you have a successful design on your hands.

when i went through your gallery, i have to say i agreed wholeheartedly with neupix on this one. sure, it is nice to see examples of your work, but examples can be fairly useless if a context is not provided to put them in. for example..
- what on earth is that logo supposed to be? who was it for?
- who/what is "matrix" (the website design)?
- what's with that guy and the wings?
- that poster is pretty but.. what was it for?

okay, sorry if i am getting a little redundant here. the point is, while your work is nice, it would be easier for clients to see your talent if they knew what was requested and, by looking at the finished product, how well it was executed. giving your work a purpose makes it more likely to be taken seriously, and giving your possible clients something to read will actually oblige them to take a longer look, instead of just a quick glance! chances are, you will get even more work inquiries than you already do, and visitors to your website will have a better understanding of what sort of designer you are.

#17 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:57 PM

Cleared.

#18 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Cleared.