Selfillustration

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

Long time since I last used Illustrator... but today I decided to draw something quick and simple, and here what it came out to be:

Posted Image

Appreciate every comment and critique.
The best design decisions are simple, because they don't contain elements that are not necessary... and contain the necessary elements in a way that looks logical...

#2 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

interesting! i am a big fan of simplicity, and i especially like that 60s-esque background. :) i'd like to see a little more detail in his hair, though, and maybe the right ear (since it's the one on the lighter side). did you use a model for this?

#3 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:17 PM

I believe it was a self portrait correct? Very sylish and simple. IF this was your goal. Then it was a great success. :) I won't talk about it too much because you did say it was meant to be simple, and artistic decision is somethig I don't argue. But I'll say that I would have liked to seen more information when it comes to volume. good job nonetheless ;)

#4 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

Yep Sevenlee, you are right - it is a self portrait :) I was really searching for something stylish and simple, with even no detail.... but I think I`ll continue drawing it - I`ll add hair, and may be some more shades of gray in order to get smoother transition...

takethetrain - I love retro style. Especially retro backgrounds.... just move it ! :) About the right ear.... you are right that the light comes from the right side and the ear must me lightened... but I think if I add detail there, it will disbalance the whole illustration.... but I`ll try. Actually it was ment to be an avatar, and you can see here that there is no need ot more detail.

To draw this, I used an old photo(year ago) of me and one friend -> you can see the photo here :)

I almost forgot -> thanks for the replies :p
The best design decisions are simple, because they don't contain elements that are not necessary... and contain the necessary elements in a way that looks logical...

#5 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

takethetrain - I love retro style. Especially retro backgrounds.... just move it ! :) About the right ear.... you are right that the light comes from the right side and the ear must me lightened... but I think if I add detail there, it will disbalance the whole illustration.... but I`ll try. Actually it was ment to be an avatar, and you can see here that there is no need ot more detail.

To draw this, I used an old photo(year ago) of me and one friend -> you can see the photo here :)

okay, since it is smaller, i guess the ear detail isn't really necessary--it looks nice. nice photo, btw. ;)

#6 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

ROT- when it comes to the ear, don't really add anymore detail than necessary. I would just add the inner rim in grey. That way, you still have a balance w/o adding too much detail. The way the light looks to hit your face, the ear can remain mostly in the dark and still be plausible. :)

#7 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

I tried to add some hair.... but i think I like the illustration without the heair.... dnow :)

Posted Image

#8 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I tried to add some hair.... but i think I like the illustration without the heair.... dnow :)

yeah.. i suppose the hair is a little too much. maybe if you just had a couple wisps of hair? also, you need to keep the shadows going with anything you add, which you didn't do with the new hair--it looks unnatural.

#9 Sevenlee

Sevenlee

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

yeah i liked it w/o the hair. try leaving just two strands of hair on the light side of ur face and deleting the rest maybe?

#10 Jayberz

Jayberz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Looks great! Did you use the new live trace option at all in CS2?
Red Letters Studio
Blending the Word with the Web!
www.redlettersstudio.com

#11 ukp

ukp

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:15 PM

nice & slick..... i liked the refinement

#12 ukp

ukp

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

by the way how much time it took you to do all this

#13 RoT

RoT

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:42 PM

Looks great! Did you use the new live trace option at all in CS2?

Nope - just hand tracing, I mean i used only my mouse and hand to trace it, no automatization :)

by the way how much time it took you to do all this

I don`t really know... something like 3 hours. It`s a lot, but it was my 'returning' to Illustrator :p

#14 zcfsu

zcfsu

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

looks great! i bet you'd be really good with flash if you aren't already into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users